Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2003, 08:34 (Ref:562502)   #1
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Alonso and Webber be disqualified?

So would Alonso and Webber's cars be deemed to be underweight?? How will they prove that they were over the min weight?

Is there a rule for post-race scrutiny after race finishes such as last weekend?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 08:38 (Ref:562506)   #2
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Could Alonso and Webber be disqualified?

Now this could be a legitimate question that should be asked and answered by the FIA!

Imagine any team running an underweight car and to avoid scrutiny, they could always crash the car after crossing the chequered flag.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:06 (Ref:562515)   #3
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that in national racing, any car that causes a red flag is automatically disqualified
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:09 (Ref:562519)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Webber didn't cause the red flag. There are just so many technicalities that could be applied.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:14 (Ref:562522)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if the race hadn't been red flagged, they would have been caught out.

Never been a problem before, i don't really see a problem now.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:25 (Ref:562608)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There's been no sign of protest on weight grounds - but I could have seen (immaterial now of course) Alonso being DQ'd for failing to observe yelows correctly. In the past drivers who were involved in a secondary accident under yellows have (rightly) been severly repremanded and/or disciplined.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:25 (Ref:562610)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Do you really think we would'nt notice Michael or Kimi writing off their cars on every cool down lap?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:37 (Ref:562617)   #8
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
I'm sure that in national racing, any car that causes a red flag is automatically disqualified
This is not true. I know of two cases in the last year where the race was red flagged and the drivers causing the red flag took victory.

It is a well known trick that if you go off while in the lead, it is important to place the car in a dangerous position on track. This can help bring out the red flag and stop the race. On countback, who wins???

Another trick that I know of is, if the weight is marginal, stick on the indicator and pull off because you've run out of fuel (which you haven't). Usually by the time you've been towed back to parc ferme, everyone is gone. It might also give your pit crew a chance to add weight to the car, driver load up a set of spanners in his pocket, etc... Another one is to pull off into the gravel trap. The gravel adds a little weight.

While it might seem that no-one could posibly get away with any of these, you would be surprised!!! They have worked in the past (not for me).

I just wonder what the outcome will be after Alonso and Webber at Brazil. Does anyone have ground for appeal on weight?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:38 (Ref:562619)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from it being obvious if every car crashed after the chequered flag i think the teams would get quite sick of the repair bill after a few races.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:48 (Ref:562627)   #10
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really think Alonso should be disqualified...other drivers made it though that mess because THEY OBSERVED the yellows and slowed down enough to avoid the debris Alonso was flying through there and cause the red flag...it is just stupid if he is allowed to be able to pick up points. Webber too should be disqualifed as he crashed of his own accord so why should he get points any moreso than M.Shumacher, Montoya, Button or any of those other drivers who crashed out??? The FIA really just need to use common sense instead of all these stupid rules IMO!!!

Last edited by TeddyG; 8 Apr 2003 at 10:56.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:53 (Ref:562633)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Have to say Teddy, I agree.

I've always been of the opinion that one more lap should be run (under the safety car) and that should determin the winner.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:58 (Ref:562638)   #12
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
That not a bad idea Wrex. What happens if some is taken out by accident? JPM and Verstappen at Brazil 2001 or Panis and Firman 2003?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 11:06 (Ref:562641)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Too bad - they reason your out should'nt matter. If your out, your out.

If the race continued it would'nt matter, so why now? One more lap, then they are done. Simple really.

I'm going to close my mouth now though, as there is probably a really good reason for it I have forgotten.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:14 (Ref:562702)   #14
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Alonso should be disqualified. Not to take away from his (until the crash) excellent drive, safety is paramount, and there is no reason for him to have had that big of a crash. I can understand running over debris... but not a wheel assembly at almost full speed like that...

I also agree with the idea of another safety-car lap or just plain disqualification of the cars involved in the red flag situation. In all of the classes I've raced, if you bring out the red flag and are out, you are scored behind everyone who finished. If you were involved in the accident but not eliminated, you go to the back of the cars still running. I just don't understand why this rule stands as it does...
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:26 (Ref:562787)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See they could actually just use the last time the leader crossed the line rule here. Those that crashed won't cross the line...so they are out and that way anyone taking the lead like Fisichella did would get to keep the win. Simple really.

Though I'm sure there's a loophole in there somewhere!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:30 (Ref:562792)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Paulzinho: what if the accident happened in turn 1?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:30 (Ref:562793)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nevertheless is this thread just hearsay or is there really a chance of them being disqualified?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:34 (Ref:562796)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Paulzinho: what if the accident happened in turn 1?
Then the drivers not involved continue around the circuit with waved yellow flags everywhere, stopping in order on the grid so that you knew who finished where.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:42 (Ref:562808)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the reason you're looking for Wrex is Senna-Nigel Adelaide.

However, the officials should be allowed to say 'extenuating circumstances' and count back a lap or two laps, and disqualify the 'agressive' party in the accident.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:44 (Ref:562809)   #20
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hearsay, methinks. I think it was put forward as another possible 'grounds for protest' to right the wrongs of Alonso and Webber scoring points for that mess they made. But there have been no reports of teams lodging a protest with this or any other reasoning behind it... as the rules stand, the race is scored correctly. It is the rules that need to be changed...
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:45 (Ref:562810)   #21
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
Nevertheless is this thread just hearsay or is there really a chance of them being disqualified?
Right now its just hearsay but is it a possibility?

Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Then the drivers not involved continue around the circuit with waved yellow flags everywhere, stopping in order on the grid so that you knew who finished where.
If you wave the yellow flags you could still have a similar accident. Remember Alonso's accident was under yellows! If the track is block, they can't make it true! Theres probably lots of loopholes for everything we can think of.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:06 (Ref:562824)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
By waved yellow flags I probably should've used safety car boards (perhaps accompanied by the red flag to tell the drivers to stay in order?

And your right....theres loads of loopholes for everything!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:42 (Ref:562856)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I certainly agree that you should have to be running at the finish to claim the points awarded for finishing position. ACO would agree - in fact, they now say that your final lap has to have representative pace so that the wounded don't go out and limp around to take the checkered flag...

Last edited by paul-collins; 8 Apr 2003 at 14:43.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Apr 2003, 15:19 (Ref:562876)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not strictly related to the thread - but if anyone was using the fuel as ballast trick this scenario would be likely to catch them out... For example Kimi was about to do his last stop and might have been found light (he wasn't, so that proves either that it doesn't go on or that the likelihood of a curtailed race was thought sufficienty high not to risk it) (or, of course, that McLaren aren't at it).

Also, in really poor weather the extra weight would make less difference because it does at least give you extra mechanical grip.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 15:38 (Ref:562893)   #25
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I've always been of the opinion that one more lap should be run (under the safety car) and that should determin the winner.
And what if the track is blocked?