Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 May 2003, 19:26 (Ref:587884)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Going Global

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer (May 2, 2003)

WEST KINGSDOWN, England (AP) - The CART series is considering staging races in China or South Korea by 2005, and adding a third event in Europe.

"What we're trying to do is create a marketing platform for companies who wish to sell primarily in North America. We can also give them value in Europe and in the Pacific Basin," said Champ car series president and chief executive Chris Pook.

"We believe it's important to come here (Europe) at least twice, maybe three times a year to bring our product over," he said Friday.

...CART has a five-year contract with Brands Hatch.

A third European race is also being considered in Spain, Belgium or Portugal, Pook said.

"We could well be looking at three races in Europe. I would say 2005 would be a good guess," Pook said.

Pook also hopes to add a race in Beijing or Seoul as early as next year and no later than 2005.

"We'll see," Pook said. "We'll be driven by sponsor decision. If the sponsors want both, we will try to accommodate them. But one is more likely."

Pook said he hoped to expand in Asia and Europe without losing any of the core races in Canada, Mexico and the United States.
Old 2 May 2003, 19:45 (Ref:587905)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spa!
Please, let it be Spa!
Old 2 May 2003, 20:00 (Ref:587930)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Belgium, pfft! They don't have any good tracks there! China and South Korea will mean big attendance and big money. If done in 2004 it could mean the series could make enough money to survive a bit longer while being publicly traded.
Old 2 May 2003, 20:39 (Ref:587984)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
China sucks. They'll either get some horrible disease, or be detained as political prisoners. The government will probably enter some goose-stepping moron, have him crash into Hunter-Reay, then detain the team until they get a formal apology. CART shouldn't be racing anywhere where the most basic of human rights are considered luxuries.

South Korea? Where, at the Changwong circuit? That might be okay, certainly no worse than any other street race.

Spa, yes. Please God yes!!! Instead of Lausitz!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 May 2003 at 20:40.
Old 2 May 2003, 20:42 (Ref:587988)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No, not instead of Lausitz! That one needs to be turned into a 500 miler!
Old 2 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:588042)   #6
rookie
Rookie

rookie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lausitz is a 500 hence the title "the german 500"
Old 2 May 2003, 21:50 (Ref:588046)   #7
TheRob
Rookie

Canada
Kamloops, BC
TheRob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's 500kms isn't it?
Old 2 May 2003, 21:59 (Ref:588057)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Right now it is. That's just a tad over 310 miles. But after we lose Fontana, we gotta have a big 500 miler somewhere!
Old 3 May 2003, 00:20 (Ref:588122)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want a 500mile road course race. At Sebring. Full points to any cars left at the end.
Old 3 May 2003, 00:57 (Ref:588132)   #10
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russfeld, I don't know if you were joking, but I like that idea. That would beat the heck out of the drivers and machines, but would be a great race.
Old 3 May 2003, 03:09 (Ref:588154)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lee I really doubt you fully comprehend your objection to China. The US gov't has a very sketchy record when it comes to matters of principle. It's a very long list of compromises of principles. But of course the US would NEVER do anything that wasn't of devine origin. Perhaps you do understand it and have a high moral objection, but I would similarly argue that US races should be boycotted. Truth is there aren't too many truely 'nice' countries out there. (please no emotional american responses, I can say the same thing about Canada, albeit to a far lesser extent)

Bottom line, let the Chinese watch a CART race and let CART prosper.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 May 2003 at 03:11.
Old 3 May 2003, 03:25 (Ref:588159)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Lausitz provides better racing than pretty much any other oval track.
Old 3 May 2003, 03:43 (Ref:588163)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Lee I really doubt you fully comprehend your objection to China. The US gov't has a very sketchy record when it comes to matters of principle. It's a very long list of compromises of principles. But of course the US would NEVER do anything that wasn't of devine origin. Perhaps you do understand it and have a high moral objection, but I would similarly argue that US races should be boycotted. Truth is there aren't too many truely 'nice' countries out there. (please no emotional american responses, I can say the same thing about Canada, albeit to a far lesser extent)

Bottom line, let the Chinese watch a CART race and let CART prosper.
Well, I hate to bring politics into motorsport, but...

Well, admittedly, the US domestic record is spotty. The genocide against natives, the CIA's introduction of crack to the black community, slavery, Jim Crow laws, the mass incarceration of Japanese-Americans, the Kent State Massacre... Our foreign policy is even worse. But on the whole, it's no worse than the history of France, Britain or Germany.

China on the other hand... Now let me make it perfectly clear, I have _nothing_ against the Chinese people. It's only the Beijing government I have a fiery hatred of. A small plutocracy holds the world's largest population concentration under it's thumb with only the slightest pretense of individual freedom. This is a government which tries to _sterilize_ sections of it's population, floods farmers with no warning or compensation as it builds it's dams, lays claim to and constantly threatens a sovereign nation it neighbors... Which only half a century ago launched an orgy of rape and butchery against Tibet, perhaps the most peaceful place on the planet.

And no action of butchery undertaken within US borders can _possibly_ compare to the thousands of peaceful protesters murdered in cold blood in Tiananmen Square. Almost everything we've done, at least to our own people, pales in comparison.

So I say, no legitimacy for Beijing!

Reforms before racing!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 May 2003 at 03:51.
Old 3 May 2003, 13:07 (Ref:588446)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Lee on this - China is far worse for the political situation than any Western nation. I agree with all the criticism of America, there are still a lot of things wrong with it, just as there are with Britain and France, but China has some disgraceful human rights abuses.

Spa would be my first choice for a new addition, that's pretty well known. But there are lots of other great racetracks in Europe which no longer have F1 - tracks like Imola and the A1 Ring in Austria could be available from 2004 as well.
Old 3 May 2003, 15:17 (Ref:588524)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
darn it i was going to post a topic on CART going global, its 8am on saturday doesn't anyone sleep?
SPA! i hope its SPA...
Old 3 May 2003, 16:23 (Ref:588548)   #16
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
I want a 500mile road course race. At Sebring. Full points to any cars left at the end.
They tried a 400mile race at riverside in the early 80s and it was a disaster-only about 3or4 cars finished.
Old 3 May 2003, 17:39 (Ref:588590)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comparing the democratic USA to communist China! How silly!

Anyway, let me remind you that this is a racing forum, and not a political forum, so stick to the racing please!

CART is making the steps, slowly but surely. I'm glad CART is on a positive road again, and that I can once again watch most of the races live on Eurosport. Roll on Brands!
Old 3 May 2003, 18:03 (Ref:588611)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I have to close this post. I don't think politics have any place at all here. If you want to try it again, start a new topic and don't make the same mistakes!

Jordi