Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 7 Apr 2002, 06:17 (Ref:253944)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A New Era Dawns

The first race of the new MotoGP went beyond all previous expectations. The racing was just as close and exciting as anything the 500s have thrown up the past few years and the new bikes sounded glorious to boot!

Rossi won again, and proved he can ride a 4-stroke just as well. Ryo was a revelation, pity he's not a full-timer. Checa did well to get into third, considering Yamaha were not expecting much from this first race.

The wet conditions certainly played havoc with all three races. The tyre war in the MotoGP class was in full swing, with Michelin winning, Dunlop in second while Bridgestone certainly proved themselves in the wet with McWilliams setting some blistering times until he unfortunately went off.

The 250cc and 125cc also saw plenty of action but I can't even remember the names of the 250cc winnners!!!
Old 7 Apr 2002, 07:47 (Ref:253962)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An excellent Moto GP race (have to wait until tonight for 125 and 250 to be shown here).

I think the Dunlops flattered the Suzuki more than it should have and we still have to wait for a dry race to really see how it all goes...but great to watch anyway.

P.S. It looked to me like Checa was on the old Yamaha by the faring.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 11:19 (Ref:254028)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like Rossi's testing times were a fair indication of his race pace

But hasn't Checa made Biaggi look very second rate lately... and to think, this was once Valentino's main rival...
Old 7 Apr 2002, 15:49 (Ref:254191)   #4
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biaggi.

Well the little devil inside of me felt quite gleefull about both Biaggi and Roberts going down
And it was fun seeing that rainrace, great test.
Checa seems at ease on that Yamaha.
I hope it stays that way.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 02:34 (Ref:254511)   #5
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i respectfully disagree, completely. I was extremely disappointed. Yes the racing was close, but Rossi vs Ryo??? Roberts - crashed. Biaggi - crashed. Jacque - crashed. Gibernau - crashed, and on and on and on.... And what happened to Capirossi in the beginning? He came out like he was shot out of a cannon, it looked for sure he'd get the holeshot and then he up and died, and got lapped!!! Look, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for 4strokes in all their glory to duke it out with the 2 strokes. Well, lap times 15 to 20 seconds slower than qualifying is just disappointing, nothing more. Sure it was nice to see some close racing, but i've been waiting all year to see 2:04's at 200mph, not 2:20's. The season starts in Welkam.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 05:02 (Ref:254536)   #6
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was so gutted when Gibernau slipped away. but overall, I enjoyed watching a race as it was much closer race than expected due to rain(maybe). far entertaining than wsb. susuki looked good, fast in straight, but then we have to wait two weeks to see true standings of bikes. I hope it's not going to be rossi's one man show.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:36 (Ref:254803)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The wet race proved that Rossi is a class act, in a race that due to conditions made the field level. What? In the dry Gibernau on a Suzuki would have won??? Ryo is a great Suzuka rider and deserved the aclaim. But there is more than one curcuit in the other 15 rounds.

Rossi showed class and a good sense in timing (in signing with a 4 stroke) in his win.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 08:55 (Ref:255358)   #8
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi rode a great race and Ryo also looked the goods didn't he.I too was glad to see roberts shown up by Gibernau as IMO he will wipe the floor with Roberts this year. Was also glad to see Biaggi struggling, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke IMO.Bad luck to McCoy and a shame he had to go out so soon on the bike, he must have nightmares about possibly ending up going thru the same sort of experience Mick had, if he fell off again.
All in all, if the season is as good as the first race , we are in for a beauty.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 00:34 (Ref:256882)   #9
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i was dissappointed with the honda NSR, katoh and lois in particular.... where did they go?
katohs web page says something like he made a tyre choice for a drying track (one can only imagine that lois did the same) so i guess that means a hard wet tyre?

Rossi is super talented, so i guess i dont want him to win with sheer horsepower alone, I truely think he could win not riding the fastest bike. I want to see him win with his outstanding race-craft, its just gonna be boring otherwise. And i'm getting less impressed with Honda's heirachy by the day. Why on earth Katoh doesn't have a 4 stoke ride is beyond me. Ukawa, is not a world champion infact katoh beat him (coming 3rd) in 2000, while ukawa came 4th (behind Jacques and nakano).

so i too was gutted when all the others went down, max, roberts, especially sete. If rossi beat em on the track well and good.
Its been a while since Rio last year, so i was excited to watch, but honestly i thought (apart from sete & ryo) it was an pretty ordinary race.
Fingers crossed that we have a REAL race in South Africa.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:14 (Ref:256970)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until he went off, my money was on Sete, and he had my full support. He has really made Roberts look rather lacklustre of late, while Sete has just been growing in confidence with every race.

IMO he will be a challenger for race wins more often than not, but he's not WDC material yet.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:06 (Ref:257123)   #11
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe Gibernau is getting up there, he has also worked hard for it.
I hope that the next couple of races will shows us a better picture of what will happend, and that Honda is just so ugly that it hurts your eyes
Old 17 Apr 2002, 03:32 (Ref:262704)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just watched the race this weekend, one week after it happened, and because of the rain, I still do not have a feeling of how the 4-strokes will hold up tire wise in the dry over a race distance. Haven't been following all the testing news, other than seeing that the new bikes have been bringing lap records down.

What are some of your feelings about how a dry race will pan out? Can Rossi's talent make up for perhaps a more tired set of rubber towards the end, and do you think that there will be tracks that will suit the lighter 2 strokes?

One thing that came to mind this weekend,(and as someone already mentioned) is how Rossi's wet performance bodes badly for the rest of the riders if he can be so composed right off in the rain on the new bike. On this note, are the four strokes easier powerband wise in the rain than the 2's? Tradition tells me that they would be, but again, I haven't been reading up on them that much.

djb