Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Aug 2003, 14:34 (Ref:701869)   #1
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Birkett 6 Hour

This year will be run at Silverstone on the 25th October.....Apart from the obvious-its a relay for teams of 4 to 6 cars/drivers-can anyone tell me how it works, i.e. changeovers/incidents/pits/tactics etc etc.... is it fun or hassle, any first hand experiences welcome.....
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:12 (Ref:702064)   #2
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was there last year watching. It literally is a relay - as a car enters the pits the next can leave.
Great fun, mobile phones and radios not allowed so you are never sure if your driver is managing to get back or not.
And the teams are such a mixture - there were minis to porsches.

This was the report from my boys attempt last year....

The 53rd 'Holly' Birkett Handicap relay race attracted 41 teams with over 180 cars from Morris Minors to Aston Martins, Darvis to Jaguar D types. The cars in each team were similarly assorted as was Larkies Loonies which consisted of 2 Caterham Superlight R500, Stuart in the VW Golf and Steve in the Porsche 944 with 5 drivers.

Although the team hoped to do well the race was being used to acclimatize Steve with the Porsche which he will be racing in two weeks time.

It was Steve's first ever outing in Stuart's Porsche and he was going to use the qualifying session to settle in to the car. Although the car handled well Steve found the driving position very uncomfortable. Stuart went out in the Golf and tested the new brake system and found the car now brakes in a straight line.

There are 3 ways to look at the Birkett race. One is the scratch race - first past the post wins. Within that are the class wins and alongside this is the Handicap race. This is calculated by taking the team who is expected to win and give all the other teams a number of credit laps according to their estimated performance. Just so that a team could not comprise of 3 slow cars and 1 fast one that then does most of the race, some cars were given a maximum number of laps they could race (this was not applied to Larkies Loonies).

The team was credited with 29 laps.

First out was a Caterham driven by Jason Krebs. The race commenced from a rolling start with Jason in 7th place. At the end of the first lap the first casualty came into the pits (a Rover's Return Mallock) with front end damage and tagged his team mate. The changeover happens when the racing car passes the front of the garage heading for the paddock and the second car can then leave the garage. It is necessary therefore for the next car to be ready with driver for the whole time the preceding car is out on circuit. As Steve was out second he sat in the Porsche in full race gear at the front of the garage.

After just over an hour Jason came in and Steve went out. The seat had been moved but it was not ideal neither was the fact the drive shaft broke at Beckett's after only 4 laps.
'Stuart has previously broken drive shafts - it's just one of those things. We have found out that the 944 turbos drive shaft is stronger so we will fit one of those for the next race', explained Steve.

Another Caterham was sent out that was being driven by Austin Reynolds. After 2 1/2 hours the team was running in 7th place when the Golf made an appearance and held it's position for the whole of it's stint. It was only ever overtaken by the much faster Lolas and Radicals until the turbo broke after 50 minutes.

The original Caterham went back out but this time driven by Lee and still the team held on to 7th. After 4 hours and 188 laps the team was 13 laps down from the leaders Woody's Wonders which showed they were running better than expected.

The Golf went out again with a replacement Turbo in it with Stuart at the helm. Immediately the oil warning light came on and a puff of smoke was seen. The team watched the car carefully from the pit wall and told Stuart to carry on. Again the Golf performed well holding all bar the leaders behind it but again an extended run was not to be. After 50 minutes the turbo went again (luckily just before the pits) and Stuart was left to tag the Caterham again.
'We knew that turbo was suspect as it was in the car when Alan (Sawyer) had his crash earlier in the year. They don't like going from fast to stop with no oil'

The Caterham finished the six hour race in 7th place, 3rd in class. The handicap was not available but it was 15th at 4 hours.

'I enjoyed it', said Stuart, 'I had 4 wheels on the grass at one point after a historic car I was overtaking moved over on me but I held it'.

'Rather disappointing not to have a lot of time in the car - it was like being at a TOCA meeting! but it will all be fixed in time for next weekend. The Porsche is a lovely car to drive, it handles really well. I just need to get comfortable', explained Steve.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:48 (Ref:702096)   #3
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It used to be held at Snetterton, I went a couple of years running, great atmosphere, doubt I would go to Silverstone to watch it.

Last edited by Kelvin; 28 Aug 2003 at 18:49.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 06:22 (Ref:702368)   #4
Slowcoach
Racer

Thanks Les, so what happens if your car goes 'off' pemanently or breaks down on the circuit ? Who makes the decision to allow a replacement car out or is it a time penalty ? Also how many garages are there at Silverstone? You mentioned 41 teams !!!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 18:44 (Ref:702948)   #5
johndpeat
Racer

johndpeat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hre is how the birket runs.If there is an on track incident the SC will be deployed.No red flags unless it is really major not that it will ever happen.Last year if a car failled permeantly the teams leader decided for how long a car can be missing till they send out the next one.If two cars of the same team are on track at the same time the team will not be credited with laps till one of the cars pits.
In the event of SC on track the handicaps are recalculated according to the SC peroids lenght.
You are sent out to pratice.Unlike any other meeting the SC can and will deployed during the pratice at a time the cofc feels is good.
Any on track incedents including rescues are all carried out under a safty car.2 years ago the extarted a driver from an MGB under the SC at woodcote so it goses to show it will be a really major shunt to cause a red.
Yes there are loads of teams.Last year there where 42 team with between 4 and six entries each.It is a real mix to,Clubmens,Fiestas,westfields,vintage bentlys big jags and vw cup cars to name a few.
Hope to see you there.I one of Marshal that weekend.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 07:36 (Ref:704530)   #6
Slowcoach
Racer

Thanks johndpeat, I now have the entry forms and have spoken to a number of other like marqued owners about getting a team together and will try to get their decisions this week. Otherwise might just stick a solo entry in and see if they can find me a team.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 14:57 (Ref:704844)   #7
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi SC, Clubmans usually submit teams for the Birkett, I might run in it this year but not in the Haggispeed. Did it a few years ago at Snetterton. If another drive doesn't surface I'd be interested in sharing a saloon.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:07 (Ref:704889)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think I'll be there marshalling...should be good fun!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 18:18 (Ref:704998)   #9
Colin_King
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes UK
Colin_King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there marshaling, 750 Motor Club always put on a good meeting.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 18:44 (Ref:705015)   #10
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a spectator - it was fun though very confusing ts times
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:13 (Ref:705107)   #11
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years ago (60/70s) this was a Silverstone event and cars had a sash which was passed from car to car at changeover. If someone stopped on circuit, the next team member would drive to the failed car and stop on track while they swapped the sash. After many years it moved to Snetterton and the sash idea was replaced with a "1 car in pits - next car out" process. cars stopped on track are reported to race control, who radio pits to tell team to release next. A couple of years ago it moved back to Silverstone.
Snet marshals were not happy but thats life. Maybe we Snet regulars could get the Formula Ford Festival to come home to Snet. (probably not)
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:27 (Ref:705121)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Harding
...Formula Ford Festival to come home to Snet.
Well that goes under the learn something new everyday! Got to nearly 10:30pm, but hey. Cheers.

Do the cars have the same (or similar) numbers?

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Sep 2003 at 21:28.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 22:02 (Ref:706187)   #13
Colin_King
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes UK
Colin_King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There numbers are related to the team that there are in for example team 15 would be 15a for the frist car then 15b for the second car on so on up to 15f for the last car if the have 6 cars in their team