Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:17 (Ref:1778268)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Zealand's newest circuit - Hampton Downs is GO!!

Just got official confirmation that Tony Roberts and Chris Watson have today gained Resource Consent to build an all-new race circuit at Hampton Downs - slightly further south than Pukekohe.

This really is awesome news and is another huge positive for New Zealand motorsport!!

Check out the Hampton Downs website at: www.hamptondowns.co.nz

There is details and a map. The apartments have all sold, but some of the other real estate is still available.

Three cheers for Chris and Tony fulfilling their dream!!
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:28 (Ref:1778270)   #2
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
looks like a great track...

Go the Datto!!!
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:30 (Ref:1778272)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, that looks like a really good track. Something which would look good with a pack of V8's going around it- When does Hamilton's contract end?

JDI, any idea what sort of motorsport events they want there? A1GP? V8s? F1s...?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:10 (Ref:1778276)   #4
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its right by the brand new prison! :P

Geeze I hate those two words, resourse and consent, too many bad memories of other failed missions!...
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:20 (Ref:1778279)   #5
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC it's going to be developed to Grade 2 FIA standard with everything in ready to upgrade to F1's should someone with seriously deep pockets be found to line the pockets of Mr B Ecclestone esq. I'd imagine Taupo would be working hard to hang on to A1GP after this year but anythings possible. As for V8's doesn't the Ecclestone of the South Pacific want more street races?
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:36 (Ref:1778284)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is great news because it does appear Pukehoke is on the chopping block.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:59 (Ref:1778297)   #7
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im excited about Hampton Downs, just a little concerned that with alot of money being spent on getting the resource consent, is there enough to fund the project itself. Im not sure on the full details of financial backers etc, but i do hope they find support wherever possible so it can be all go!

On a side note, gee how fast is Hamilton moving as an up and commer? The WRC, V8 street race, Hampton Downs, World rowing champs...the council really are doing something right, and thumbs up to them as well
Old 30 Nov 2006, 06:05 (Ref:1778299)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. Another permanent circuit in NZ is a very positive step.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1778324)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not unlike the old warwick Farm track in Sydney!
Old 30 Nov 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1778326)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Per head of population NZ is really well served with tracks-- and even better with new track being built.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1778378)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Wow, that looks like a really good track. Something which would look good with a pack of V8's going around it- When does Hamilton's contract end?

JDI, any idea what sort of motorsport events they want there? A1GP? V8s? F1s...?
Well, see, that's a bit of an unknown.

The whole circuit budget has been done on not getting big events there

I reckon there will be plenty of NZ and club racing there. I know a few Formula 5000 guys can't wait to get out on it. One of the developers had a McLaren Can-Am car - the 4 speed 9 litre one -and I am sure that those cars of cars will hum around circuit like this.

I don't about A1GP now it ha gone to Taupo, but now that it has, once everyone has spent the inaugral event travelling for 1, 2, or 3 hour to get there, it won't take much for Tony Texiera and Colin Giltrap to look to relocate the event to Hampton Downs. After all, Colin Giltrap owns an apartment there.

And here in lies the sceret! The developers have built this as more than a race track. Take a look at www.hamptondowns.co.nz to see what I mean. All the apartments sold. I know someone who wants 3 and got none. There are also lifestyle blocks nearby as part of the complex, and lock-up garages and industrial sites. These good guys are looking after the whole motorsport industry by providing building sites of up to 5000 square metres to build your own facility on.

I just hope that they can re-design the site to include more apartments as the demand seems to be there. There are 20 people on the waiting list. One of them wants 3. It's a brilliant idea

Does Tony Perich read these forums??
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1778382)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timu
Its right by the brand new prison! :P

Geeze I hate those two words, resourse and consent, too many bad memories of other failed missions!...
You are right, Timu. It is by a prison, a landfill, and a drag strip, and the motorway....it is a premium location!!

I reckon that the only reason that you hate the words resource and consent is that you usually run out of resources before the chick gives you consent
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1778386)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctshirt
IIRC it's going to be developed to Grade 2 FIA standard with everything in ready to upgrade to F1's should someone with seriously deep pockets be found to line the pockets of Mr B Ecclestone esq. I'd imagine Taupo would be working hard to hang on to A1GP after this year but anythings possible. As for V8's doesn't the Ecclestone of the South Pacific want more street races?
Colin Giltrap,Graeme Hart, and Eric Watson as a consortium?
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1778390)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
This is great news because it does appear Pukehoke is on the chopping block.

I reckon you are actually about to see the competition get hot as Pukekohe is trying to build a motorsport hub out there too.

It will be interesting to see how things develop
Old 30 Nov 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1778410)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
Per head of population NZ is really well served with tracks-- and even better with new track being built.

Ummmm, 3 of the 6 were goat tracks pretty much until Taupo (formerly NZ's shortest circuit) got a lengthen. With Hampton Downs that shall be 7.

We do ok, but like in Australi, the circuits lack investment.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1778569)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like a good track,can't wait to see some racing there.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1778697)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I reckon you are actually about to see the competition get hot as Pukekohe is trying to build a motorsport hub out there too.

It will be interesting to see how things develop
I thought the horse racing folks wanted motorsport to be gone at Pukehoke?
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1779172)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Didn't we all.....but it seems there is nother agenda suddenly
Old 3 Dec 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1780667)   #19
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
You are right, Timu. It is by a prison, a landfill, and a drag strip, and the motorway....it is a premium location!!

I reckon that the only reason that you hate the words resource and consent is that you usually run out of resources before the chick gives you consent
Haha you are a funny bugger mate! love ya work...

I find it insane how the prison was against the circuit being built because of the smell of race cars, when on the other side theres the southern hemispheres biggest landfill for gods sake!!!
Old 3 Dec 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1780687)   #20
Just Do It!
Veteran

No worries mate. We Kiwis are capable of laughing at each other and ourselves. A few idiots wanted to turn this dream on lid, but they have been beaten into submission....whoops, I mean overturned
Old 4 Dec 2006, 05:03 (Ref:1781297)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I didn't think there much problem with the resource consent as the area was zoned for motorsports and thats why they chose it?.
That was the easy part now who's got the money,Aucklanders don't have a very good track record building anything of consiquence lately.
Old 24 May 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2210837)   #22
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those in the area and did not know Hampton Downs has an open day on the last Sunday of every month. That's Today

Quote:
Visiting day at the Park!!

On the last Sunday of every month tours will be taken of the facility between 1.00 -3.00 pm. The second tour will be May 25th. See you there!
http://www.hamptondowns.com/News.wse

Anyone else going??
Old 25 May 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2211112)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No doubt if there were any grid girls there we'll see some photos?
Old 25 May 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2211127)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

By the way Armco, that's rather interesting eyes you have there on your Border Leicester. Cursed genetic mutation, huh or has Pro been running with your flock?
Old 25 May 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2211139)   #25
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Armco - not a bloody grid girl in sight, what sort of motor racing curcit is this.

I was so gutted and then I saw the drags were open (open day), there were no grid girls there either, most upsetting. Did see a couple of wooly ones in the nearby fields though but hey that's not my cup of tea