Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Notices

Old 14 Jul 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3751095)   #166
Norbert
Racer

England
Andover
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was used during the Thruxton CSCC meeting earlier this year.

I requested it so that we could move a car that had neatly parked itself backwards into Post 12.

It was deployed, and as soon as the field in my sector had slowed, my guys were able to safely push the car behind the post.

It was only out for about half a lap and then withdrawn and racing continued as if nothing had happened.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3751205)   #167
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
Well, that didn't last long. Understand that today the BRSCC announced that it had suspended the use of the Code 60 procedure for all remaining meetings this season due to customer pressure. With immediate effect they will be returning to the use of a Safety Car for all remaining meetings this season.
Is that 'customer pressure' from the drivers who have lost the opportunity to catch up that the Safety Car provides?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3755102)   #168
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Is that 'customer pressure' from the drivers who have lost the opportunity to catch up that the Safety Car provides?
Turkeys don't vote for Christmas......
Old 28 Jul 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3755220)   #169
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Code 60 the key to making it work is the simultaneous deployment all round a circuit and again the same when it is withdrawn. It also eliminates the pit callers and tail enders playing " catch up" at racing speed when the safety car is deployed .
Old 1 Aug 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3756610)   #170
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
Code 60 the key to making it work is the simultaneous deployment all round a circuit and again the same when it is withdrawn. It also eliminates the pit callers and tail enders playing " catch up" at racing speed when the safety car is deployed .
Yes indeed, but....but playing "catch up" seems to be exactly what is happening is some cases....

The other key is that drivers OBEY the thing. I have seen timing sheets with lists of speeds ranging from 60kph up to 85+kph - and in some races where I have seen it used, after a couple of laps or more we ended up with a train of cars exactly like a SC train - without the SC - so drivers basically, and unashamedly, caught up the car in front.

I suspect "customer pressure" is maybe from the long list of drivers who have been pinged heavily for infringements - though of course I do not know that for sure.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3759026)   #171
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at the times on TSL for the CSCC meeting at Castle Combe today in the Swinging Sixties Gp2 race, there were 3 - 4 laps under Code 60, and it is blatantly obvious that the lower order cars were circulating some 10 - 15 seconds quicker than the leaders.........

Wonder if anyone monitors this?
Old 12 Aug 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3759029)   #172
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Looking at the times on TSL for the CSCC meeting at Castle Combe today in the Swinging Sixties Gp2 race, there were 3 - 4 laps under Code 60, and it is blatantly obvious that the lower order cars were circulating some 10 - 15 seconds quicker than the leaders.........

Wonder if anyone monitors this?
Thanks for pointing out the TSL data, it does indeed make interesting reading.

Looking at the lap analysis of race 3, which is the one i assume you are referring to, the best info regards times/speeds are laps 3,4 & 5 which would have been the full laps under code 60.

60kph = 37.2823mph

the only car to exceed 38mph (once - lap 4) was the 16th place finisher.
car 118
lap 4 - 2:52.905 38.51 mph
the leaders corresponding lap was
lap 4 - 3:12.446 34.60mph

the 8th placed car was closest to the target time/speed
lap 5 - 2:58.674 37.27 mph

So the closing came mostly from the leader being nearly 14 seconds slower than required, and car 118 being 6 seconds faster.

There appear to be about 6 others that infringed the 60kph lap time, but usually by about a second. Any gains for the lower orders appear to be more due to them being closer to the target 60kph lap time.

Perhaps only car 118 should have been penalised

http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=CS.../173264c60.pdf
pages 39 to 42
Old 13 Aug 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3759073)   #173
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sound analysis Alasdair, however I have witnessed cars closing the gap by driving the shortest distance around the circuit rather than taking the racing line, same speed, but less distance travelled per lap compared to others.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3759110)   #174
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
A sound analysis Alasdair, however I have witnessed cars closing the gap by driving the shortest distance around the circuit rather than taking the racing line, same speed, but less distance travelled per lap compared to others.
I like it, that's clever. Since they're not racing why would they stick to the racing line? Provided they don't overtake they've done nothing wrong.

I don't think it would set a good precedent to start penalising racing drivers for doing something intelligent .

Steve
Old 13 Aug 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3759139)   #175
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting - thanks for that analysis, Alasdair.

Confess it hadn't occured to me that taking the non-racing line could make such a difference in lap distance........I wonder how the circuit length is actually calculated.......inside kerb, outside kerb, a theoretical mid-line of the circuit?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3759363)   #176
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another reason gaps may close or grow is when one car weaves in an attempt to keep tyre temp up and the preceding (or following) car doesn't.

Overall the C60 worked pretty well again at the weekend from a marshalling perspective and shows that if the Club puts the effort into implementation (working with the drivers, radios for each flag point, decent flags, etc) then C60 can work.

Dave
Old 14 Aug 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3759364)   #177
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Interesting - thanks for that analysis, Alasdair.

Confess it hadn't occured to me that taking the non-racing line could make such a difference in lap distance........I wonder how the circuit length is actually calculated.......inside kerb, outside kerb, a theoretical mid-line of the circuit?
A fascinating point ; given the width and length of Silverstone GP one wonders how accurate the average speed is when it's quoted in context of a lap time to 3 decimal places?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3759369)   #178
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lap Length

Both the FIM & FIA calculate the lap distance by measuring the inside white line distance and the outside white line distance, add them together and divide by 2 = Official Lap Distance.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3759722)   #179
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieStewart9 View Post
Both the FIM & FIA calculate the lap distance by measuring the inside white line distance and the outside white line distance, add them together and divide by 2 = Official Lap Distance.
Now if that's not the most interesting fact I've ever discovered on here.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3760153)   #180
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently it has been, in the last week amended with immediate effect