Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jul 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2909514)   #926
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty of time. Wait till BE is below ground then put the dream strip together. After looking at last few post I can pretty much guess where that would be. Didn't know there where grandstands. Last race I went to in lower central New York state you just sat on the grass or smoked some. Ha Ha.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2909529)   #927
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
It would be until Bernie got his hands on it!
Until Tilke gets his hands on it and ruins it.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2909532)   #928
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Until Tilke gets his hands on it and ruins it.
Tilke's already got his hands on Austin, Texas (He also designed the Aragon circuit ), so it'll only be a matter of time before his army moves North.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2909536)   #929
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Tilke's already got his hands on Austin, Texas (He also designed the Aragon circuit ), so it'll only be a matter of time before his army moves North.
I thought he did the Aragon track with Norman Foster's lot? They wouldn't let him ruin the Glen.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2909540)   #930
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I thought he did the Aragon track with Norman Foster's lot?
He was there. And as someone showed in another thread, it does look remarkably similar to his Abu Dhabi circuit. At least from above.

Quote:
They wouldn't let him ruin the Glen.
For the right amount of money, you can ruin most things. Take F1, for example.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2909544)   #931
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
He was there. And as someone showed in another thread, it does look remarkably similar to his Abu Dhabi circuit. At least from above.

For the right amount of money, you can ruin most things. Take F1, for example.
True but we Americans are quite a conservative lot and don't like having our feathers ruffled too much. If there were any changes made to the Glen, I think there would be a rather long consultative period first.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2909568)   #932
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post

I've always thought the best place for an F1 race in the U.S. just from a cultural point of view was a Miami street race. The city and F1 fit one another perfectly.
I agree that Miami would be a good match for F1. But they would have to come up with a street circuit that is acceptable to the drivers, the teams, the FIA and the fans. I'm not sure that would be possible. More importantly who would pay Bernie's fee? Outside of the state of Texas, I don't think there's any state or local government in the U.S. that would dare consider doing that in today's economic climate. Unfortunately the same problem would exist for Watkins Glen or any new track in California or NY. The only way it worked for Indy was that Bernie's fee was reasonable at first (not sure what it was, $10-15M?) but Bernie asked for much more when the contract was up for renewal and that put an end to Indy. The way finances work in F1, no promoter can make enough money to pay Bernie and still make a small profit.

Last edited by BobHWS; 1 Jul 2011 at 19:15.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2909657)   #933
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Long Beach is an excellent location and easy to get to, especially with modern airliners like the Triple 7. I always thought Vegas would be a good location. Again it's easy to get to, it was built for entertainment and could easily accommodate fans/teams and it hasn't got that humid climate like Austin.
And again no it is not IMHO as the track is just not that great to be honest, as much as I enjoyed going there to watch CART for many years..

Austin is also not that humid, it is dry heat(most of the time) when it hot..

Miami is humid...

With all due respect to everyone's opinion..
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2909662)   #934
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
And again no it is not IMHO as the track is just not that great to be honest, as much as I enjoyed going there to watch CART for many years..

Miami is humid...

True but I think Vegas has it all; hotels, post F1 entertainment, it is all there.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2909665)   #935
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
True but I think Vegas has it all; hotels, post F1 entertainment, it is all there.

But Vegas is about, shows, slot machines, dancing girls, Cirque du Soleil ..Which is all good if that is what turns you on..It's not a real place is it?

F1 is a show BUT a very serious show, showcasing some of the best technology in the world..

So it needs a real home in the US to showcase it's point of being here to be looked at...
Are you telling me that the USA has no imagination?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2909666)   #936
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
But Vegas is about, shows, slot machines, dancing girls, Cirque du Soleil ..Which is all good if that is what turns you on..It's not a real place is it?

F1 is a show BUT a very serious show, showcasing some of the best technology in the world..

So it needs a real home in the US to showcase it's point of being here to be looked at...
Are you telling me that the USA has no imagination I was at Skywalker Ranch for a week several years ago and I would have to disagree...
I understand what your saying but when it comes to open wheel racing, I don't think the US realy cares, right now. Look at Indy, it's a mess.

I hope Austin works out but the West coast is the best location; personally I'd love to see F1 at Laguna Seca.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2909669)   #937
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Isn't the SEMA trade show held in Las Vegas?

And The Strip is just a small piece, which isn't even exactly part of the city itself.

Jeremy, I'm a tad confused. How did you enjoy watching CART at Long Beach if you didn't care for the circuit? I mean, saying that about the circuit would indicate that the racing on it wasn't that good.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2909670)   #938
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
I understand what your saying but when it comes to open wheel racing, I don't think the US realy cares, right now. Look at Indy, it's a mess.

I hope Austin works out but the West coast is the best location; personally I'd love to see F1 at Laguna Seca.

But why is the West Coast the best location John..

Long Beach it's close to LAX...

The weather is nice...

This what I think mate, all of these other locations, Watkins, Laguna, etc. etc have been LQQked at many times..

And the the small English person did not go for it...
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2909672)   #939
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Isn't the SEMA trade show held in Las Vegas?

And The Strip is just a small piece, which isn't even exactly part of the city itself.

Jeremy, I'm a tad confused. How did you enjoy watching CART at Long Beach if you didn't care for the circuit? I mean, saying that about the circuit would indicate that the racing on it wasn't that good.

I will always have a good time if I am with Emerson Fittipaldi and Sergio, excuse the name dropping as I don't mean it that way..

What I saying is there is nothing special about the Long Beach circuit two long straits and some very tight turns...

But it's racing man!
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2909679)   #940
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Miami is humid...

If you are in Austin today. Turn your air conditioner off for the next 24 hours including your car and then tell me it is not humid in Austin, Texas. And, if that is not long enough for a baseline then turn it off for the next 30 days. Dry heat is a little further west of Austin maybe 200 miles west for starters.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:21 (Ref:2909682)   #941
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
But why is the West Coast the best location John..

Long Beach it's close to LAX...

The weather is nice...

This what I think mate, all of these other locations, Watkins, Laguna, etc. etc have been LQQked at many times..

And the the small English person did not go for it...
Man, you just summed it up and the small English person can get there, no hasle.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2909685)   #942
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
If you are in Austin today. Turn your air conditioner off for the next 24 hours including your car and then tell me it is not humid in Austin, Texas. And, if that is not long enough for a baseline then turn it off for the next 30 days. Dry heat is a little further west of Austin maybe 200 miles west for starters.
Humidity is at 49%...
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2909692)   #943
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
I guess Whitemarsh wanting to conquer the US means another market somewhere else in this world is or is about to totally collapse. Wonder where?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:55 (Ref:2909694)   #944
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Quote:
Humidity is at 49%...
Tomorrow 93%. Just sayin.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2909699)   #945
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Tomorrow 93%. Just sayin.
Tomorrow will be around 100F Humidity will be around 46%....

Just sayin..
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2909701)   #946
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Our race will not happen during the summer..

Next inline please...
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2909702)   #947
Texas
Rookie

Texas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Our race will not happen during the summer..

Next inline please...
This.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Jeremy, for several reasons.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2909708)   #948
Texas
Rookie

Quote:
It's all relative, no? If you ask someone in Houston, they'll say Dallas is drier. Houston is god-awful...almost as bad as NO. Dallas is humid to me, because here in Austin it's drier. If you ask someone from any of those towns, they're all going to say that Austin is MUCH drier on average. Just like anywhere else, it gets very humid here right after a rain...but we haven't had significant rainfall for quite some time.

FWIW...lately the avg humidity for the entire day has been running at about 45%. Yesterday's low humidity was 11%.

Right now according to WeatherUnderground:

Houston: 86Fm 73% (feels like 96F)
Dallas: 87F, 50% (feels like 90F)
Austin: 84F, 43% (feels like 84F)
San Angelo: 86F, 38% (feels like 86)

San Angelo is 205 miles west of Austin and sits atop the Edwards Plateau about 1400 feet higher than Austin.

Last edited by Texas; 2 Jul 2011 at 03:18.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 04:08 (Ref:2909717)   #949
Texas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
wonderful non-answer answer to a critiqued analysis, that would make a politician proud
Critique?

OK.

The reason I didn't address anything in your post is that there wasn't anything to address. There's nothing in that mass of speculation, supposition, and speculation on your own suppositions that can be proven by you or disproven by me, so what's the point?

Oh, there was this one little item: "(a Pan-Am swing with Interlagos isn't as much in the way of savings as Montreal would be)"

You did know that the 747s full of F1 gear headed for Interlagos already make a layover in Dallas on their way to Brazil, right? It's a very short flight south from DFW to Austin. They might even just choose to fly directly into Austin, bypassing Dallas. That would be a bigger savings, no? The added travel distance would be MUCH less than if the USGP were paired with Montreal.

A direct flight from NY or Montreal to Austin is only about 140-150 miles further than from NY or Montreal to Dallas. If they go through Dallas to Austin, it's still only 182 miles added. As far as I can discern, this would be the only additional mileage in the Brazil-pairing scenario. As far as the F1 flight to Brazil is concerned, we're right "on the way". The return trip is unaffected by the addition of Austin.

In the Montreal-pairing scenario, you basically must add round-trip distance from either Montreal or NY to Austin. That's 3026 miles (R/T NY) or 3339 (R/T Montreal).
Old 2 Jul 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2913847)   #950
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
This.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Jeremy, for several reasons.
I am just guessing of course Tim..

But it would make a bit more sense and gives the circuit another 6 months or so to get ready...
Closed Thread