Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Nov 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1147487)   #1
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Green Man/Premier Travel Inn, Silverstone

Did anyone else stay here for the WHT event? We were there for three nights and it seemed that both the Hotel and the Pub/Restaurant were having serious problems with staffing levels and service.

Last edited by Piglet; 8 Nov 2004 at 13:38.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1147526)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Green Man dining / breakfasting was a nightmare
Premier Lodge staff seemed helful and embarrassed about the Green Man. No problems with room, cleanliness etc.,
As for the Green Man, it is no excuse to :
1. Say that "we've only got two staff on who haven't done breakfasts before"
2. Find a table for dinner, order drinks and ask for table to be cleared, then have to wait after starter and main course and half desert before this was done.
3. I haven't got time to list the breakfast problems on Sunday morning.

Bet you wish you hadn't cancelled those 3 rooms in the Travel Lodge now.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1147537)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diz, was that your party that had pre-booked breakfast, but they had nothing on their list?

I'm sure Piglet, Happy Snapper and I have got a long enough list of problems/complains to start with. But I do agree that the staff in the Lodge were fed up of hearing complaints about The Green Man
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1147539)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No probs here...maybe because we camped!!

Wasn't all that cold and our christmas dinner was excellent!!

Hope you had a good weekend despite the problems?!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1147545)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
Diz, was that your party that had pre-booked breakfast, but they had nothing on their list?
No. A friend of mine got ignored for 45 minutes, got a refund and left. Two minutes later his breakfasts were placed on an empty table.
I had to ask for.
Milk
Fruit Juice
Tea Cups - we got the pot of tea
Cutlery
Butter "we've only got spread" One minute later - too late - butter appeared
Plates for the toast
They'd run out of sausages and mushrooms
Every table was full of dirty crockery / cutlery - at least they cleared ours at breakfast.
On Saturday, one of our number booked a table for dinner [20 people] |When they turned up, they were told that tables could not be reserved, so they went elsewhere - a few hundred quid of lost business there.

The list goes on and on
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1147548)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Green Man a BRSCC establishment by any chance? LOL.

We nearly came for the bonfire and fireworks on Friday but, by the sounds of it, going for a curry was the better idea after all...

Last edited by JohnMiller; 8 Nov 2004 at 14:24.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1147549)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
Bet you wish you hadn't cancelled those 3 rooms in the Travel Lodge now.
LOL!!! Yes for sure!

One of the bonuses of having to be at the circuit for the crack of dawn both mornings was that I didn't even attempt breakfast at the Green Man but Happy Snapper and Jasongore did and I think it was an interesting experience!! We decided to eat in the Rice Bowl in Towcester on the Saturday night which I think turned out to be a good decision!

We also had problems with the lodge itself about our room types - all the rooms on the internet booking were doubles, they then rang and checked what rooms we wanted - we confirmed doubles, but when Happy Snapper got there in the afternoon their booking system showed something else! Then to cap it all they put Jason in the wrong room and had to ring him to ask what room they had put him in!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1147550)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I trust you are all going to write to the owners explaining your abysmal treatment? Whilst it won't make your weekends experience any better, it may have an effect when you next need a hotel in or around Silverstone!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1147554)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I trust you are all going to write to the owners explaining your abysmal treatment? Whilst it won't make your weekends experience any better, it may have an effect when you next need a hotel in or around Silverstone!
Oh yes the letter is in hand!!! We also have pictures of the large stack of towels and bedding that they were storing at the bottom of the stairs adjacent to the emergency exit!

And next time we'll stick with the travel lodge in Northampton and explore the highlights of Sixfields!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1147556)   #10
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet
Then to cap it all they put Jason in the wrong room and had to ring him to ask what room they had put him in!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1147560)   #11
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Just remembered, I requested a smoking room [filthy habit I know] and the room had a no smoking sign on the door and an ashtray on the bedside cabinet!!!!!
I did query this before I started puffing and was shown a room list stating my room number was a smoker.
now it is all over.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1147565)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
It was a brilliant pub / hotel in the old days [pre Lodge] with bound copies of Autosport in the bedrooms. Even Autosport has gone downhill with the progress to business, not magazine, but that is another well documented tale on TT
Old 8 Nov 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1147597)   #13
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No probs in the lorry at the circuit and the bacon & egg butties i made myself wern't bad either. Diz you should've called round for breakfast instead of hiding somewhere i couldn't find you all weekend !
Old 8 Nov 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1147604)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems that lots of people were hiding this weekend!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1147607)   #15
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by jminsh
No probs in the lorry at the circuit and the bacon & egg butties i made myself wern't bad either. Diz you should've called round for breakfast instead of hiding somewhere i couldn't find you all weekend !
Didn't want to chance the egg yolk spilling onto my DT coat
Old 8 Nov 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1147632)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Told you so, in the thread a few months back about hotels around Silverstone. I said that it used to be good but its gone downhill recently.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1147647)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And many times I suggest the bull and butcher in Akeley - a great country pub with good food and drink - yet no bugger ever looks into it because they havn't heard of it - its 2 minutes from Whittlebury hall.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1147649)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Told you so, in the thread a few months back about hotels around Silverstone. I said that it used to be good but its gone downhill recently.
It's been none too great for a while but this was downhill, around the corner and in the ditch!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1147665)   #19
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverthorpe B&B in Silverstone village (well, on the outskirts) is another good place to stay (for future reference).

(completely irrelevant smilies, I've just not used them before )

Last edited by Red Baron; 8 Nov 2004 at 16:31.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1148477)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive started staying at the Ibis in Northampton. Its cheap, nicer than a travelodge and close to the best indian in the UK, Miraj in Northampton.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1148570)   #21
WildMan78
Rookie

WildMan78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another place worth thinking of is the Kings Head B&B in Syresham which is 1 mile down the road from the Green Man . We stayed there for WHT and the rooms were decent , good food in the pub , big fat boys breakfast . Recommended if you need to stay around Siverstone again
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1148580)   #22
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
New name eh Seamus!!!!
Old 9 Nov 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1148893)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Ive started staying at the Ibis in Northampton. Its cheap, nicer than a travelodge and close to the best indian in the UK, Miraj in Northampton.
I have to agree I stayed there back in August when the LMES was at Silverstone and the only complaint I had was the amount they charged to park and the lack of parking on the Saturday night when I got back from the track. I for would stay there again and more than likly will do.

Last edited by rdjones; 9 Nov 2004 at 19:36.