Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Nov 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1159338)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great News On Sponsorship

Got this off of the IndyCar web-sit. I don't know how they come up with these figures but it sounds very promising, and could be a good draw to future sponsors -

IRL IndyCar® Series sponsors saw a 33 percent increase in the comparable value of their sponsorships during the 2004 season, according to the year-end report compiled by Joyce Julius and Associates.

The report, which tracks exposures for all event telecasts during the 16-race season, found that the overall exposure value was $303,536,815 -- up $76 million over 2003. It also found that overall television time increased by 7 hours, 13 minutes, 55 seconds -- a 15 percent increase -- while overall sponsor mentions were up 413 -- a 17 percent increase.

Team sponsors accounted for almost 60 percent of the total in-focus exposure time and almost 30 percent of all verbal recognition. The top 25 team sponsors averaged $800,000 more in exposure value for the season than they did in 2003

For the rest of the story go to www.indycar.com

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Nov 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1159396)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very promising news.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1160501)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope good trends continue
Old 22 Nov 2004, 08:56 (Ref:1160539)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone got a copy of the joyce report they could email me?
Old 22 Nov 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1161091)   #5
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and to me as well?

As for the news: Last year the exposure had increased as well, but unfortunately it did not translate in much more cars. Let's hope it will for next year
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1161161)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read that earlier and found it a tad strange. I realize that it is real value, but it seems strange to quanify it the way they have by giving a blanket statement justifying that the money a particular sponsor would spend is bringing them good value for their money. While I'm not saying it's incorrect, wouldn't most of the difference be accounted for by the fact that there were races added? In other words there is an increase in TV time and an even greater increase in race attendance/exposure in new markets?

Last edited by Snrub; 22 Nov 2004 at 20:57.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1161175)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read in Autosport the other day that ALMS sponsors got 10 times as much exposure this year than did IRL sponsors.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 00:52 (Ref:1161394)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
While I'm not saying it's incorrect, wouldn't most of the difference be accounted for by the fact that there were races added? In other words there is an increase in TV time and an even greater increase in race attendance/exposure in new markets?
Unless I'm missing something, I don't believe there were any races added between 03, and 04.

As for cars there were 22 full time cars on the grid for most of the season which was a pretty good increase from the previous year. If all goes according to plan,(doubtful, but!) we could again see another nice increase for 05.

The only bad news I could really find for 04, is the engine situation. Everything else was pretty much a positive.

Last edited by GP Racer; 23 Nov 2004 at 00:58.

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Nov 2004, 00:55 (Ref:1162352)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right on the number of races, I appologize, I'm suffering from mild retardedness.

That problem somewhat discredits what I'm trying to say , but I still stand by it. Can anyone point out anything other than the 17% sponsor mentions/15% TV time but flat TV ratings and some increase in audience?

Last edited by Snrub; 24 Nov 2004 at 00:57.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1162358)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
You're right on the number of races, I appologize, I'm suffering from mild retardedness.

That problem somewhat discredits what I'm trying to say , but I still stand by it. Can anyone point out anything other than the 17% sponsor mentions/15% TV time but flat TV ratings and some increase in audience?
Not sure what your getting at Snrub?

Do you mean can anyone point out other good news from last year?

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Nov 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1162455)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Yes what can the "added sponsorship value" be attributed to. Frankly a 1/3 increase doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when sponsorship is about convincing people to buy your product/service. The basics are probably numbers (times viewed), getting to the right type of people and convincability of your marketing. I would imagine it's more sophisticated than simply having your logo present. For instance obviously 7/11 and Honda did increadibly well in all three catagories. On the other hand Chevy's presence probably had only a nominal effect on some people from a numbers perspective of seeing the bow tie and probably a even a negative effect on the hardcore fans, who viewed Chevy as pathetic (in other words the later two catagories suffered). It's very important for manufacturer's to get hardcore people on their side, because they substantial impact those with little/no auto knowledge, etc.

I think that from a non-pure numbers standpoint the value of the sponsorship in the series was diminished compared to last on a "per unit" basis. The poor showing of Chevy and Toyota powered cars effected the manufacturers and the sponsors of those cars. At some point there has to be diminishing returns on the value for 7/11 and Honda. What I'm trying to say is your opinion being "Great x 10" vs. "Great x 12" probably has little significance compared to the loss of attention paid to the mediocre cars' sponsors. I think last year things were more even so more positive exposure was given to a wider range of sponsors. Combine the value of less exposure or negative exposure for a number of sponsors compared to last year and the better than before exposure for a very few and I don't see how the numbers add up.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and maybe it's foolish to argue against the report, but the basics just don't seem to add up to me. Maybe they did all sorts of track side promo stuff that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Snrub; 24 Nov 2004 at 06:14.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1163160)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
The track-side promo stuff is probably where they got alot of the increase, and there is nothing wrong with that, but there did seem to be many more commercials that were IRL ralated this season than last. Many of those commercials were very good, and very professional.

I don't really think that Toyota suffered nearly as much as Chevy, because they had some very good commercials on this year, such as "grammy don't race", which was hysterical. Their commercials made you feel as though Toyota was always hard at work, and that it would eventually pay off, as opposed to Chevy, which did zero advertising or promotion for the series anywhere. Pretty pathetic, and they paid the price, as the fans had little respect left for them. Win or lose, good advertising can work for you.

NASCAR is the series to watch for cross promotion though. You can't turn around without someone, hawking a NASCAR sponsors product. The IRL, and alot of other series would do well to emulate them!

Danica Patrick