Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2275584)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Funny enough I was having a chat with one of the CTCRC members on this subject at Brands at the weekend. He sponsors his son in the Minis who is very quick and originally cut his racing teeth with us in the Historics and learnt his craft well from the old buggers out there, proof in the pudding is he is way up in the championship in the Mini's if not leading it by now. Anyhow dad told me he still had his historic car sitting there ready to race but he was not really interested as it (in his words) 'had no street cred running around in a load of old bangers' (with a load of old gits as well if truth be told!).

Also I have raced in our Pre-93 Championship this year as well as Historics (or in my case Post historics but a 1970 Camaro is still an Historic in my book) and I have notcied in Pre-93's I am by far the oldest out there the rest being mainly made up of young guys so by my observations I would say a lot of the above statements are true, makes you wonder what will happen in Historics when more us old gits hang up our helmets or fall off our perchs which is why I always find this stuck in Pre-66 thing a bit strange.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2275591)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
with both Woodcote Trophy and Legends 50's sportscars Championships in rude health I woudl say 60's is safe for a good few years.
Ironically I would say these are the series that will weather a reccession best as the owners are at a stage of life when personal leverage is low and dependency to a booming economy less
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2275778)   #53
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
modern cars souless?? !!!
remember the historic cars where once modern and souless they really beacme attractive because there was " history " of the car or driver who ran that model that has created the attraction
in 10 years time the 2000 c/ship winning dallara or lola F3000 car will have some ooh la la when the next generation come along who will look at the spaceframe or alloy tub cars you are salivating over today and say you will not get me in that death trap in the same was as the current 60-70`s car owner will talk about a 1929-48 race car with no seatbelt roll hoop etc in the same way
for some car owners its the engineering or technical side that makes modern cars appealing but they can be too complicated to run maintain and i admit a straight forward 1974-84 F2 atlantic F3 car is an attractive propostion for most folk = simple to run repair restore and "safe" compared to older tube frame cars
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2275794)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I saw some young guy in our Pre-93 cobbling together a manual switch over system for the Honda CVH system the other week and he lost me going on about ohms resitance and all that and bypassing the duff cpu, maybe thats why they go for the newer stuff and we plod on with the old tubs which we understand. :-(
Old 27 Aug 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2275983)   #55
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
you are either into cars or not!
Too right! I'll race anything with an engine and four wheels! (Three at a push).
Old 3 Sep 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2280801)   #56
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
Too right! I'll race anything with an engine and four wheels! (Three at a push).
3 wheels isn't fair; it catches out the clever hedgehog that rolls into a ball between the lights.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2280856)   #57
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont race (atm) but when I do start racing, I would love to start off in Historics, and stay there. My parents both race/d historics, and I love the culture, the camraderie, and the racing that comes out of it.
My only concern might be that because I am significantly younger, that I might, might be considered a bit of un upstart, maybe trying too hard, not racing in the spirit and the like.
Hopefully I can start racing by next Easter, fingers crossed

Michael
Old 3 Sep 2008, 14:43 (Ref:2280874)   #58
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
I dont race (atm) but when I do start racing, I would love to start off in Historics, and stay there. My parents both race/d historics, and I love the culture, the camraderie, and the racing that comes out of it.
My only concern might be that because I am significantly younger, that I might, might be considered a bit of un upstart, maybe trying too hard, not racing in the spirit and the like.

Michael
Do not worry there are a number of historic racers that started aged 16. For example Jack Woodhouse driving a FJ ELVA 100, from the age of 12 was nicknamed FED (Future ELVA driver) and his times are well up there with the car's expected performance. Michael Lyons is another example of driving FI, FJ and other series. You are accepted for who you are, drive safely, learn the tradecraft- no problems. The difficulty is gaining the sponsorship to go a different route than via Karting aged 7 and so on!
Old 9 Sep 2008, 00:50 (Ref:2285186)   #59
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19

Michael
G'day Michael, Jill's right, by your actions will you be judged. If you race fair & clean, you'll be just as welcome as the next bloke. In fact a lot of older guys in historic racing are very concerned about the future of our sport and really keen to see young guys join the ranks. I was only 26 when i got in to Group Nc, and the older blokes were terrific, some of them were really helpful.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 05:29 (Ref:2285286)   #60
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see someone who competes (and wins) in historics winning a major modern championship. Congratulations Olly Hancock! Definitely a star of the future.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 06:38 (Ref:2285296)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had the pleasure of running Olly a couple of years ago in his Dads FF2000 and apart from comming second in the race minus front wings and not being able to test with the other front runners. He gave excellent feed back in qualy and was a real joy to work with. Needs to be in F3 next year.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2292676)   #62
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
How many ten-tenthers are there driving in Historic Racing aged 25 years or less. More importantly how many throughout Historic racing per se. Especially non-UK drivers whom are easier to identify.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2292988)   #63
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How many ten-tenthers are there driving in Historic Racing aged 25 years or less. More importantly how many throughout Historic racing per se. Especially non-UK drivers whom are easier to identify.
I switched from moderns to Historics at the age of 25.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2293316)   #64
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im 55 does that count as being a young upstart. I was a bit miffed i did not get nominated for Autosport young driver of the year.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2293324)   #65
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you where once a young upstart can you remember that far back?
at what age does one say a driver is a young driver for historics?
In principle the cars when new where driven by young drivers!
hysterical FFords pre 71 where race dby 17-19 yr olds f3 cars 18-23 year olds F2 and F Atlantics 20-25 year olds who had not made it to F1
so in reality a driver 18-25 yrs old is the right driver for that type of car today
Old 19 Sep 2008, 06:31 (Ref:2293561)   #66
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
you where once a young upstart can you remember that far back?
at what age does one say a driver is a young driver for historics?
In principle the cars when new where driven by young drivers!
hysterical FFords pre 71 where race dby 17-19 yr olds f3 cars 18-23 year olds F2 and F Atlantics 20-25 year olds who had not made it to F1
so in reality a driver 18-25 yrs old is the right driver for that type of car today
I can remember it only seems like yesterday.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2298155)   #67
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I started driving in historic racing in 2005 at 23, with my 1965 Ford Mustang.
On this year I had the wonderful opportunity to drive also a Cooper-Climax T53 (Spa, Silverstone and Goodwood) and a Cooper Bristol T20 (Nurburgring) of a friend of mine .
My past racing experiences were just a couple of years of karting in 60cc and 100cc junior classes.
Then my parents wanted me to study so I had to give up.
Now I can say they made the right choice.
I'm not interested in racing modern cars : they are no fun and they don't have a personality. Historic racing cars needs of more skill and more respect to be driven properly, especially if the car you are driving is an important one with a great historic background. You can feel the soul of these machines.
If I only could find a sponsor which helps to cover some costs ...
Old 26 Sep 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2298234)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to admit to a soft spot for modern GT racing (there's nothing much more charismatic in my view than A DBR9 or CR6) and I try to keep an open mind about contemporary racing. However, Enrico's post is a ringing endorsement of the historic racing scene from a young man; well, 26 is young to me, anyway.