Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Is the MSA right to Ban the use of the Historic GP Circuit for Historic events?
I Agree, the MSA is right. 3 4.00%
I Disagree, the MSA is not right. 72 96.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jun 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2227310)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
F1 Abbey Disappointment For Historics

Can someone who is clever with these things reproduce the Abbey Article in Motor Racing News.I have never seen so much rubbish put forward by MSA to justify a decision,The same people who agree the use of Goodwood,Cadwell and Oulton ,its farcial.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2227378)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, John; it would be breach of copyright. Agree with your sentiments though. I read it in the June issue of HMRC mag which came today.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 04:42 (Ref:2227482)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's this?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 06:46 (Ref:2227512)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The MSA's decision to halt the use of the Historic GP circuit at Silverstone especially Abbey
Suppose quoting the Statements from the MSA bods are without breach.Do you want me to get agreement from Carol?
This decision, if that what it is ,will effect all circuits and our Historic past time

Perhaps we can quote the other MSA statements which are equally ill thought and without foundation.

Bottom line is that any race car up to 71 will not be helped by this ruling,if that's what it is,and brings its own risks -such as brakes and suspension failure

The reasons given are inflamatory,MSA supposedly stating in one case:-

"The idea is to try and stay one jump ahead rather than kill a few folk and then decide,we really shouldn't be killing folk like this ,we must do something about it"

If they want F1 run offs at the other circuits Goodwood,Cadwell,Oulton they might as well close them now.

So Goodwood FOS Hillclimb is safe but Abbey not. B/S
Old 13 Jun 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2227520)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when has Abbey been any more of a risk than any other corner on any other circuit?This is stupidity,the very reason for the historic section was to make life a bit easier for the cars.Perhaps a spin-off of the cheat cars being that much quicker now,braking forces into the GP section are that much higher anyway!!
Old 13 Jun 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2227549)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Read the contents of the MSA diatribe before making a decision If this is allowed to happen it spells the end of most circuits
Write to Colin Hilton at MSA and tell him how strongly you and other entrants/drivers feel and the stupidity of his argument

Gerrards at Mallory-No chance

This is a time when this Forum can be of use rather than the size of the Masters Tent .It has nothing to do with cheat,copy,fake cars.Its an ill thought out ,unsubstantiated piece of legislation worthy of Government jobsworth
Old 13 Jun 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2227618)   #7
DanWray
Rookie

England
DanWray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know where this article, or one on the same subject, can be viewed online?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2227625)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Have spoken to Carol and she is about to pdf me the page and it can be printed if someone can tell me how!She is happy for the Historic Racing News feature to be reproduced.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2227632)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, a precis of the article in Historic Motor Racing News:-

The decision apparently came from John Symes at the MSA on the basis that as the FIA had ruled that the original Abbey was not suitable for FIA events, it followed that it was not suitable for Historics, either. Also that since we live in a litiginous world it would be untenable to continue to use the old Abbey when the FIA had ruled it unsafe. It is all about run off areas, of course, and it is interesting to note that another MSA source has disputed that as a sensible basis for the decision when you have such differential cornering speeds between historic and modern racing cars. It would be good if this view prevailed and certainly both the promotors of the Classic (Motion Works) and Silverstone Circuits Limited are seeking a reversal of the decision. One driver, Peter Jackson, expresses the view that the old Abbey is actually safer for the older cars and is less stressful on components as there are no sudden changes of direction required at this point, and nor are you faced with the prospect of a head on into the barrier on the exit of the chicane. I stood behind the fence at this point for the FIA GT race earlier this year and it is actually quite alarming to see them so close heading straight at you before they straighten for Bridge. There are a number of good reasons for dispensing with the modern chicane for historic racing of which, Symes says he is aware, but he remains unmoved by these arguments.

In the meantime, Silverstone Circuits Ltd have asked the FIA to carry out an analysis of the original Abbey with a view to obtaining an FIA Grade 2 Track Licence which would enable its use for historic classes.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2227634)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John, I started typing my post before you posted. Personally, I think that I have covered it in sufficient detail to convey the issue but if some one else wants to post the whole article, fair enough.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2227646)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Duncan Wiltshire quote

"Its a very short-sighted step that the MSA is taking"among other things

Should anyone want the Historic Motor Racing News Feature I will E mail it to them when received.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2227653)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a complete waste of time/resorces.As already said the Abbey Historic section was laid out and approved by the licensing body,how come that gets changed by one man!!!
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2227659)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Its the MSA and have just forwarded the stuff to you.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2227660)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've taken the liberty to add a poll which may add some visibility to the argument.

The MSA has ignored the reasoning behind keeping the historic circuit in the first place. This was to avoid the possibility of major accidents resulting from brake failure. The corners are all long fast to medium speed until you get to Bridge which is where the track takes most of the speed out of the cars and therefore the only really hard braking zone is into Priory. If the GP circuit is used it introduces two more hard braking points - Club and Abbey which may be two too many.

A very curious and misguided decision I think.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2227667)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So in a way it is cheat related,the statement says of lap times decreasing,I wonder why.So,take out Abbey and what will happen,lap times WILL decrease even more.Arrival speeds at Bridge will increase,how many for a trip into the gravel/across the grass ?.Sorry but this is total ********!

Edit - Ooh look the autocensor works!
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2227669)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

100 % so far that they are wrong.Stop voting now!

Serious side to this is why the MSA? .Can we be like Germany who have a seperate ASN who will follow the wishes of their customers not act as a dictatorial body with no feeling for the people they are supposed to represent.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2227674)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Interesting comment John. I have had a PM from some-one who has good reason to remain anonymous at the moment, proposing the very same thing.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2227675)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Obviously just whats needed John,we all know Motorsport is/can be dangerous. But to actually increase the risk is just plain stupidity,Bridge is quick enough as is,non braking area?may-be,depends on the car,but to remove one of the best corners and increase the arrival speeds is asking for trouble.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2227676)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Interesting comment John. I have had a PM from some-one who has good reason to remain anonymous at the moment, proposing the very same thing.

Me to!.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2227677)   #20
DanWray
Rookie

England
DanWray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely changes to the Historic GP circuit are inevitable with the now approved plans to build a new pit complex on the straight between Club and Abbey anyway?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2227680)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Probably right, Dan, but whilst it's there, let's use it.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2227682)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Obviously just whats needed John,we all know Motorsport is/can be dangerous. But to actually increase the risk is just plain stupidity,Bridge is quick enough as is,non braking area?may-be,depends on the car,but to remove one of the best corners and increase the arrival speeds is asking for trouble.
Perhaps I should clarify. I meant hard braking, rather than non braking. The configuration of the track does a lot to slow you down, although it may still be necessary to brake there.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2227694)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope that Silverstone are sucessful in getting an FIA Grade 2 licence for that configuration. That would seem to be a sensible way out of the problem.

Regards

Jim
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2227696)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes I realise that Peter,hence my comment" Depends on the car".
Old 13 Jun 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2227715)   #25
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should all enjoy the sport for the near future on whatever side of the barriers we are, because I really worry about the future. I don't go to Silverstone much anymore because of F1 type run off most of the other classes just look slow from the spectator areas. I confine myself to meetings held on tracks that still give you a view of the cars and drivers doing what they love.
I just don't see why everyone should suffer because of F1 and it's demands. Perhaps if Silverstone loses the GP we can get a proper track back anyway.