Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 20 Dec 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3788394)   #1
JonT75
Rookie

JonT75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help needed for coupling 4age to VW box

Hi all,

I could do with some advice from the FF bright lights and braniacs on this forum.

I've got a Van Diemen RF82 FF2000 with an empty engine bay that I'm planning to fit a Toyota 1.6 4AGE into. I'd ideally like to fit a Hewland box, but they're obviously pricey and given that this will not be run in a historic championship, doesn't seem to be worth the investment.

I've got a VW box that was previously fitted in a FF as a Hewland replacement, but the primary shaft and bellhousing has been removed (I now know why!). I've looked at adapter plates, but cannot find any 4AGE -> VW options. The 4AGE was used in Formula Atlantic, but that used the FT200 box. So making an adaptor is a given.

I've done some investigation into the option of a FF bellhousing (that will fit on the VW box) and custom-made primary shaft (as it will need to be longer than standard VW), but I'll be looking at a cost of about £900. In that case I'd rather invest in a Hewland.

The only real affordable option seems to be making up a custom adaptor of some form that allows the engine to be placed further backwards (to keep a standard shaft). The box needs to stay in place otherwise the drive shafts don't line up properly.

...or save hard for a Hewland

Has anyone got any bright ideas how to solve this conundrum?

Thanks in advance!

Jon.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3802091)   #2
CanadianRP33
Rookie

Canada
Canada
CanadianRP33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jon, I am up the same creek here in Canada except I am trying to use a 914 Porsche box and a regular FF 1600 Ford in my Lola T540. Hewland's are probably even more expensive over here, but I doubt they are cheap anywhere.

Greg
Old 28 Feb 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3804430)   #3
kabover
Rookie

kabover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
check here

https://www.kennedyeng.com/

john f