Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1205467)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prof Sid Watkins steps down.

From www.autosport.com

Formula 1's hugely respected doctor Sid Watkins, one of the pioneers in vastly improved medical standards in grand prix racing, has decided to step down from his role after more than 25 years of work in the sport. He will be replaced by current deputy Gary Hartstein.

FIA president Max Mosley has paid tribute to the work Watkins has done in the sport – and emphasised that he will continue to have an input into improved safety with his role as president of the FIA institute for motor sport safety.

A great man who has been directly responsible for many lives saved in F1 and motorsport in general, combining 'at scene' expertise with the bigger role of improving safety which it looks like he will now focus on.

Speaking about his new job, Watkins said: “The FIA Institute's sole purpose is to promote improvements in motorsport safety and, where possible, to transfer the benefits of these improvements from motorsport to motoring. The potential scope for our activities is enormous.”

I guess at 78 years old, crawling around in the gravel to attend to a driver is not as easy as it used to be! But as least his wide knowledge and experience will not be lost to motorsport completely.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 20 Jan 2005 at 10:42.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1205470)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sid's one of the few people in F1 who does not divide opinion - there is only good to say about him.

Plenty drivers are alive today who would not have otherwise been
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1205478)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Legend. A great man, who has given many years of service. It looks like that will continue, but I'm sur ehe will be missed around the paddocks of the world.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1205522)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it weren't for this man, we'd've lost a lot more drivers over the years. Sid's impact on racing is often overlooked, but is undoubtedly among the biggest. Even at 78 he's not 'retiring' fully, and that says something. I'm sure Gary Hartstein is up to standard to continue where Sid left off.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1205539)   #5
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sid is deservedly a legend in the sport. If you've not read Life at the Limit I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1205582)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Life at the Limit is both hilarious and moving. It also provides a great insight into the development of safety in the sport over recent decades.

Legend can be an overused word, but not in the Professor's case - few people have had a bigger influence on F1.

I don't know much about Gary Hartstein, but he couldn't have had a better mentor. Good luck to Sid in his (semi?!) retirement, and good luck to Gary in his new role.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1205627)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll go with "Legend" too.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1205723)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't it be Sir Sid Watkins by now?

I know he has an OBE, but for all the incredible work the guy has done he deserves a knighthood.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1205759)   #9
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sid's devoted many years of hard work to the cause for so long. The accelerated rate of progress in motorsport safety owes a great deal to the man.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1205792)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Sid's one of the few people in F1 who does not divide opinion - there is only good to say about him.

Plenty drivers are alive today who would not have otherwise been
Agreed, he is also the only man Bernie will not disagree with. Jackie Stewart , deservingly, recieved a knighthood for his dedication and hard work to improving safety within F1 and motorsport in general, Sid deserves the same, just hope he one day gets what he deserves, but then his not such a prominant (make that public?) figure as Jackie.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1205793)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish him all the best in his new job role. Its sad to see him finally step down, and I'm sure there will be some aprehension among the drivers about it initially, because he really is their doctor.

Life at the Limit is a fantastic book, agreed. I'm currently reading the second of his books too
Old 20 Jan 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1205794)   #12
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams and Drivers appeal descisions of the FIA Stewards but no one appeals against a descision by Sid Watkins. That shows the level of respect F1 has for him, they cant argue because he is right and they know it.

Bernie once said that if Sid should die at a circuit, Bernie would rather be taken out on a stretcher and word passed about that Bernie had died, as it would cause less concern in the pitlane.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1205887)   #13
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hat off to the great man, and thanx for the advise about his book...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1206008)   #14
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll be sorely missed and hard to replace, no disrepect to Gary Hartstein he has a good mentor. Sid is probably the most important figure in motorsport safety since Louis Stanley. And yes he should get a knighthood.

Steve B
Old 21 Jan 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1206020)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to hear that news...

saved many lifes in his time. Mr V i totally agree with you on that one! I can't imagine he would turn things over to anyone less capable though so I am sure the drivers are still in good hands
Old 21 Jan 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1206021)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Absolutely agree that a knighthood is in order. And very sad (though inevitable, given his age) that the Prof is retiring. The greatest figure in modern motorsport? Perhaps. Because, when you think about it, winning or losing doesn't matter a damn compared to living or dying.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1206258)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Met the prof once when Marshalling at Silverstone for the BGP. He was parked up at Brooklands corner in his Merc and I approached him - armed with a copy of his new book - and asked if he would sign it for me. He did, but what amused me was that on his blue overalls were two breast pockets......one with "Intubation Tubes" marked on it in gold embroidery, and the other with "Cigars"!!

Nice fella - done a lot for motorsport over the years and is appreciated by everyone
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1206312)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sid's a great bloke and I'd say he's earnt a long and happy retirement - something all too many drivers wouldn't have were it not for him.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1207394)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
End of an era then?

A wonderful man with an evil sense of humour and a love of good cigars and excellent whisky, I'm sorry to say that I've never met him but I feel that, having read both "Life at the Limit" and "Beyond the Limit", I know him.

Enjoy your retirement Sid, it's well deserved - as is your future Knighthood.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1207453)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Enjoy your retirement Sid, it's well deserved - as is your future Knighthood.

Don't hold your breath!
If he had been the Medical delegate to the Football Association then maybe - but not something so trivial as motorsport surely?
Old 23 Jan 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1208184)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Don't hold your breath!
If he had been the Medical delegate to the Football Association then maybe - but not something so trivial as motorsport surely?
Perhaps Bernie will write to HM on Sid's behalf and tell her that he just HAS to have one!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1208492)   #22
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading his book, with the number of his good friends he had the misfortune to be the first on the scene and to know whatever he did would not have made a difference, he thoroughly deserves his retirement.