Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2726531)   #26
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd hate to see Heikki leave Lotus for Renault as he seems to be really happy with the team and can become their undisputed number 1 when Trulli retires. Saying that if the financial side of things meant Lotus could make big jumps up the grid with the deal I'd snap Renault's hand off although I must say I'd rather if they had to have a new driver it be Karun Chandhok or Paul di Resta.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2726542)   #27
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
I think the benefits of a tie-up with a manufacturer might exceed the benefits of having a better engine. The Renault brand makes the team that bit more accessible to non-racing people than Cosworth, which is a bit of a niché name.
That is a marketing issue, and they could be able to tap in to a technical partnership. Of course, there's also the Renault KERS - a known quantity. With the Renault involvement, we could always have a testing livery like this.

Quote:
It's hard to get a definite read on whether the Renault engine is an improvement, but I'd say it is on driveability, fuel consumption and probably reliability, which are more important than outright speed for a backmarker team looking to take steady steps forward.
Let's see when we get to Monza. Absolute power isn't anything, and if it was a pile of poo Red Bull wouldn't be doing so well with it.

Quote:
Senna in place of Trulli for 2011 could be a good move too - Heikki has even matched him in qualifying, let alone on raceday.
The "Senna-in-a-Lotus" factor is there of course.

Quote:
I'd question how big an improvement Webber would be over Kovalainen, or whether pairing those two would be a good use of resources.
I'd question if Webber would want to go to Lotus, unless it transpires that the team has large amounts of money to throw at him. One guy who could be looking for a seat, could possibly bring a bit of money and has clear talent is Kamui Kobayashi. Kobayashi and Kovalainen would be an excellent pairing for a vastly improving team. Kobayashi's raw pace would push in Heikki, and Kovalainen has the familiarity with the team and the experience.

Quote:
I've been impressed with Lotus this year, and can see much more potential than I saw from Force India in 2008. It's unclear exactly how big an advantage the Lotus name and association is, but I don't think it expalins the whole gap back to Virgin and Hispania.
I think it's because they have sensible people on board - Tony Fernandes actually understands motor racing (unlike Richard Branson), and Mike Gascoyne was an absolute steal. One imagines what this package would have been like if it was formed with the other new teams got their entries confirmed. Next year they could easily leapfrog Sauber et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
I'd hate to see Heikki leave Lotus for Renault as he seems to be really happy with the team and can become their undisputed number 1 when Trulli retires. Saying that if the financial side of things meant Lotus could make big jumps up the grid with the deal I'd snap Renault's hand off although I must say I'd rather if they had to have a new driver it be Karun Chandhok or Paul di Resta.
Would Heikki want to go back to a team where he was undisputed number two though? OK, that was under His Flavness. At Lotus he could shape the team.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2726573)   #28
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...on-team-lotus/

Joe Saward thinks it will also be Team Lotus in 2011, thinks Fernandes might eventually go for buying Ketteringham Hall ... or maybe even Lotus Cars. Ketteringham Hall is supposedly being used as industrial sites, it would be a good place to have, even if it's just the offices there.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2727877)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
All the teams will have had time to develop their KERS systems, though. KERSes aren't frozen.

EDIT : Which one was the Zytek? I'm pretty sure it was either the Renault, the Ferrari or both that was Magneti Marelli.
I believe it was McLaren who was using the Zytec, with Renault and Ferrari using the Magneti Marrelli inspired system.

99.9% sure the above is correct.

Edit: Did I not read that the KERS for 2010 was likely to be a spec unit? Possibly the not as yet seen racing Flywheel derived type of system that Williams was / is developing in house through their associate company. Mind you, I have also read reports suggesting it will be a Magnetti Marelli spec unit.

Some proof of my comment re Zytek...McLaren used Zytek

Last edited by E.B; 17 Jul 2010 at 06:31.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2727915)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
It won't be a spec system next year. It was considered but ultimately rejected. As was making the KERS system more powerful than it was in 2009.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2727943)   #31
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Possibly the not as yet seen racing Flywheel derived type of system that Williams was / is developing in house through their associate company. Mind you, I have also read reports suggesting it will be a Magnetti Marelli spec unit.]
Although theoretically the Williams system was the best for harvesting energy, we won't see the Williams fly wheel KERS system in todays F1 cars, due to the system been housed in the area of the fuel tank. The system would of worked in 2009 due to the small fuel tanks in use, but now with larger tanks it isn't feasible to have this installed.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2727947)   #32
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
Although theoretically the Williams system was the best for harvesting energy, we won't see the Williams fly wheel KERS system in todays F1 cars, due to the system been housed in the area of the fuel tank. The system would of worked in 2009 due to the small fuel tanks in use, but now with larger tanks it isn't feasible to have this installed.
That's bad news, I absolutely support KERS in F1 if it comes with genuine innovation and on those terms would love to see it raced in F1 again but I can't see much point if it's going to be nothing but "me too" battery systems. If we were to see purely mechanical systems competing against batteries against super capacitors against compressed gas or hydraulic accumulators and who knows what else now that'd be interesting.

But if it's just down to batteries there are better and more interesting places to push the limits of battery technology http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10324258.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2727948)   #33
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
If both Renault and Ferrari were running Magneti Marelli gear, were they the same (apart from where you stick the engine in)?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2728957)   #34
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Someone on another forum claims that Tony Fernandes is in early stage talks to purchase Lotus Cars. Note that its parent company is owned by the Malaysian government - like AirAsia was before he turned it in to a highly successful airline. This person also claims that he is in the process of purchasing Classic Team Lotus. This would mean that Fernandes would be in control of all things Lotus.

It's a "some bloke form a forum" I know, but Joe Saward did allude to some of this. We'll see.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2728982)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
side note: the way everyone keeps using joe saward in the same was as you go "but MY DAD said..." at primary school is getting really irritating!

that aside, i think fernandes is clearly an excellent businessman, and would be ideal for lotus cars.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2728993)   #36
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
side note: the way everyone keeps using joe saward in the same was as you go "but MY DAD said..." at primary school is getting really irritating!
I suppose so. However, I do think he's a credible journalist, and if you don't read his blog, it gets the D_T

Quote:
that aside, i think fernandes is clearly an excellent businessman, and would be ideal for lotus cars.
Agreed. The BBC article mentioned a technical partnership with Renault. Lotus would probably be best served aligning themselves with the Renault-Nissan alliance rather than anyone else. One of those Nissan GTR engines in a Lotus Evora could show the GT1 world how to do it ...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2728995)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
So, would Team Lotus be from Malaysia..?

Or English?

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2728997)   #38
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the opportunity to reflag it as British. While some of the Malaysian backers might have wanted it to be a bit more Malaysian, Tony Fernandes has "gone native" - and quite rightly so.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2729001)   #39
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
This is what i'm thinking - but would the Malaysian government be happy with that?

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2729003)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I don't know about the ownership structure though, reputedly the Malaysian Government's only role is through Proton - and if Fernandes buys Lotus Cars of Proton, surely he'd also take their stake of the Lotus F1 team.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2729038)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
So, would Team Lotus be from Malaysia..?

Or English?

Selby
malaysian, totally. its a lot more close-run than say, red bull being british or austrian though.

tbh i think its enough for those who are bothered by the nationality of a team that the operation is being run so well and appropriately in spirit of the... well, spirit of the original team lotus. and in the colours. if they need any more then they should reassess their priorities imo
Old 19 Jul 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2729059)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
It is low priority, but it would be preferable if the team was entered under a British competitor licence.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2729067)   #43
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
It is low priority, but it would be preferable if the team was entered under a British competitor licence.
Yeh, couldn't agree more. Lowest of the priorities, but it'd definitely be the icing on the cake.

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2729081)   #44
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
like i said before i kinda see it as a bit of a mark of respect towards the malaysians for saving, resurrecting and doing justice to the history that is team lotus. it's not like they owe the british anything - they're still based here and employing british people.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2730630)   #45
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota still has a 2 year engine supply sitting around, surely they'd be at least as good as the renault, and could be had on the extremely cheap?
Old 22 Jul 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2730721)   #46
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
IIRC the Toyota engine is pretty hideous. Besides, this suggested arrangement purportedly includes a technical partnership for Lotus Cars (even though at the moment they are separate from Lotus Racing).
Old 22 Jul 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2730800)   #47
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Also gives Lotus Cars two makes of engines to play with, Toyota and Renault lumps if this goes ahead. Would love to see Lotus' version of the 3.5L V6 Renault use in the Laguna's
Old 22 Jul 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2730833)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
just remembered it seems quite obvious when you think fairuz fauzy has a junior lotus racing team in formula renault 3.5

they've promised one of their drivers a test so long as he pulls his finger out and gets some good results fwiw, though as far as i know there's no contractual obligations to do so.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2730857)   #49
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
Also gives Lotus Cars two makes of engines to play with, Toyota and Renault lumps if this goes ahead. Would love to see Lotus' version of the 3.5L V6 Renault use in the Laguna's
It would certainly be something if something with a bit more power was plonked in an Evora. Then again, it would be interesting to see the Renault Twingo Lotus
Old 22 Jul 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2730912)   #50
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
That's bad news, I absolutely support KERS in F1 if it comes with genuine innovation and on those terms would love to see it raced in F1 again but I can't see much point if it's going to be nothing but "me too" battery systems. If we were to see purely mechanical systems competing against batteries against super capacitors against compressed gas or hydraulic accumulators and who knows what else now that'd be interesting.

But if it's just down to batteries there are better and more interesting places to push the limits of battery technology http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10324258.

Your proposal would make the KERS contribution a genuine research project and a performance differentiator.
Severely impact on the motor home and estate budgets though and could actually force the teams to spend money on something other than aero -
all good!