Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2760120)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
F1 teams arent racing to capture the hearts and minds of the public, they are racing to win titles.
And that's the real shame of it all. Why don't they do it behind closed doors?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2760141)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
And that's the real shame of it all. Why don't they do it behind closed doors?

Marbot I am shocked....

Team orders!
Stewards decisions!
Race Directors calls!
Decisions to switch parts!
The mechanic on the rear wheel...

Of course they do ... more so than on the track
Old 16 Sep 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2760242)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
That idea worked out great in 2005 with the same hype...
Indeed it did. Monaco was a thriller as it wore on, as was Nurburgring and countless other races.

Only people that didn't enjoy that year were Ferrari fans.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2760293)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Who's going to tell the 20 guys that do the tyres changes for each car that their down the job centre then?.
They spend the rest of their weekend as engineers, truck drivers and support staff, and being involved in the pitstops will only be one of their many many jobs over a GP weekend.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2760295)   #30
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
They spend the rest of their weekend as engineers, truck drivers and support staff, and being involved in the pitstops will only be one of their many many jobs over a GP weekend.
Steve Matchett used to get very upset when his mates said he only worked for seven seconds on a Sunday afternoon. To read his book he actually did something like 18 hours a day 6.5 days a week 48 weeks a year and for most of that was hundreds or thousands of miles from home living in a hotel room.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2760316)   #31
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another thought. Tyres that last the full race don't create as many marbles off-line, effectively making passing easier.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2760319)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
How about tyres that wear without marbling? Or is this impossible?

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2760321)   #33
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Indeed it did. Monaco was a thriller as it wore on, as was Nurburgring and countless other races.

Only people that didn't enjoy that year were Ferrari fans.
Yea, a safety car and Kimi leading from pole and winning and a crash from a flat spotted tyre that could have been catastrophic was thrilling. Is that avatar of yours effecting your ideas of thrilling?

Maybe we should bring back the aggregate qualifying time to the mix and really reminisce how great 2005 was.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2760338)   #34
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I was going to say, the more I hear about 2005 (even though I did watch most of it), the more I want to re-watch it.

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2760359)   #35
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing for tyre manufacturers about tyres not being seen to be rubbish, is down to how the manufacturer presents the issue.

What's wrong with clearly stating...

We are designing several compounds of tyre to do different things. That way when they do as they say on the tin, there is no loss of face for the manufacturer.

Most races are of similar lengths (total distance not laps) these days it's easier to work in percentages from the start with full fuel and percentage from the end where they should be on minimum.
I'd also get rid of the starting on the same tyre nonsense, giving everyone freedom of strategy.

So for me I'd like to see compounds that work like these....

Compound A = Good for 25% from start and 50% measuring back from end of race.
Compound B = Good for 15% from start and 40% measuring back from end of race.

This would lead to a variety of 2 stop strategies, which depending on the traffic, grid position etc would create good racing.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2760369)   #36
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be good, as it would make the 2-stop strategy viable again.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2760371)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The thing for tyre manufacturers about tyres not being seen to be rubbish, is down to how the manufacturer presents the issue.

What's wrong with clearly stating...

We are designing several compounds of tyre to do different things. That way when they do as they say on the tin, there is no loss of face for the manufacturer.

Most races are of similar lengths (total distance not laps) these days it's easier to work in percentages from the start with full fuel and percentage from the end where they should be on minimum.
I'd also get rid of the starting on the same tyre nonsense, giving everyone freedom of strategy.

So for me I'd like to see compounds that work like these....

Compound A = Good for 25% from start and 50% measuring back from end of race.
Compound B = Good for 15% from start and 40% measuring back from end of race.

This would lead to a variety of 2 stop strategies, which depending on the traffic, grid position etc would create good racing.
I always thought this exact same thing, but I think it's more about being perceived as "being the best". Everything's meant to be the pinnacle, so having Bridgestone and their ever-lasting tyres followed by Pirelli and their degrading early tyres would be a bit of a no competition as far as the perception from Joe Public goes.

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2760385)   #38
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ehh, Spirtle. Suzuka '05; maybe you didn't enjoy it but I distinctly remember it being one of the best races of the last decade...

Anywho, I'd agree with those saying remove the mandatory stop rule and bring 3 or more compounds to a weekend, the hardest of which will be good for about 80-85% of the race and will keep it's structure for 100%. The softest would be basically glue in the shape of a tyre.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2760581)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Yea, a safety car and Kimi leading from pole and winning and a crash from a flat spotted tyre that could have been catastrophic was thrilling. Is that avatar of yours effecting your ideas of thrilling?

Maybe we should bring back the aggregate qualifying time to the mix and really reminisce how great 2005 was.
Loads of overtaking at Monaco, Alonso trying to fend off the Williams'.

And Kimi not looking after his car and the tension of whether he'd finish or not.

What's not to like?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2760888)   #40
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Loads of overtaking at Monaco, Alonso trying to fend off the Williams'.

And Kimi not looking after his car and the tension of whether he'd finish or not.

What's not to like?
It's the same reason why some don't like 'fuel economy runs', I think.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2760891)   #41
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I always thought this exact same thing, but I think it's more about being perceived as "being the best". Everything's meant to be the pinnacle, so having Bridgestone and their ever-lasting tyres followed by Pirelli and their degrading early tyres would be a bit of a no competition as far as the perception from Joe Public goes.

Selby
Well based on my perceptions and past experience this statement couldn't ring any truer.

I had Pirelli's ONCE and they wore out so quick I never bought and never will buy Pirelli's again. I expect a similar result when they come to F1. On the other hand, F1 had a direct influence on my decision to try Bridgestone and I couldn't be any happier. Maybe Bridgestone won't get rich on my tyre purchases but they have loyal customer with three cars.

Did I mention why I didn't drive on Michelin rubber...?

Joe Q. Public
Old 17 Sep 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2760911)   #42
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lots of banked corners on your commute?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2760927)   #43
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
lots of right hand banked corners on your commute?
Fixed.

Quote:
I had Pirelli's ONCE and they wore out so quick I never bought and never will buy Pirelli's again. I expect a similar result when they come to F1. On the other hand, F1 had a direct influence on my decision to try Bridgestone and I couldn't be any happier. Maybe Bridgestone won't get rich on my tyre purchases but they have loyal customer with three cars.

Did I mention why I didn't drive on Michelin rubber...?

Joe Q. Public
Funnily enough I run Michelins on my car, purchased for the same F1 inspired reasons, although my dislike of and refusal to use Bridgestone is more deep rooted and goes back to a dislike of the days of Bridgestone / Schumacher / Ferrari.

I have not needed to buy tyres since Michelin dropped out of F1!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2761056)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
They're hardly the same thing!
Old 18 Sep 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2761093)   #45
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post

My thoughts exactly....
Old 18 Sep 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2761187)   #46
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They're hardly the same thing!
I disagree. Drivers will have to choose for a given strategy. They can push it in the first part of the race and slow down in the later stages of the race, or visa versa, or drive 'on average'.

Not that it'd be a bad thing, quite the opposite. Recently I watched the 1985 San Marino Grand Prix. It was considered as a 'fuel economy run', but it seemed to have more on-track passing than the 2010 races all together.