Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3272448)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did Vettel park the car where he did?

Okay, I wam wondering why Vettel parked his car where he did to cause the deployment of the safety car. It changed the whole dynamic of the race. He had plenty of opportunity to drive it off the track well out of the way. The safety car definitely gave an fresh opportunity for RBR to close the gap on Rosberg.

I was reminded of Michael Schumacher's parking incident during qualifying in Monaco that year.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3272452)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the two situations are rather more different, to be honest.

He simply thought it was a safe place to park, given accidents in that part of the circuit are rare. That would be my guess. He was slightly wrong of course, but no big deal.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3272455)   #3
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Okay, I wam wondering why Vettel parked his car where he did to cause the deployment of the safety car. It changed the whole dynamic of the race. He had plenty of opportunity to drive it off the track well out of the way. The safety car definitely gave an fresh opportunity for RBR to close the gap on Rosberg.

I was reminded of Michael Schumacher's parking incident during qualifying in Monaco that year.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3272458)   #4
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I said is I was reminded of Schumacher's blatant Monaco incident. I will clarify now that I am not comparing the two. It just seemed with the onboard camera he had all kinds of time to park somewhere else.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3272459)   #5
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Also one could assume he was busy dealing with the possibilities of getting the car to work again. Once he realised that wasn't going to happen it was already too late and he was already next to the pit wall?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3272460)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he may have been trying to reset the software. I believe there is a way of doing this from inside the car. Hamilton had a similar problem a few years ago in Brazil but in this case it was not possible for Vettel as it turned out. I certainly don't see anything malicious in what he did.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3272471)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
'Coz he's a villain.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3272485)   #8
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Also one could assume he was busy dealing with the possibilities of getting the car to work again. Once he realised that wasn't going to happen it was already too late and he was already next to the pit wall?
This is my thought, as well.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3272494)   #9
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racing drivers don't think. They don't think of where the safe place would be, they're too busy speaking to the team.

Either that or they are trying to get it red flagged......
Old 1 Jul 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3272502)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It was the best place on the track for a bit of sun-bathing.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3272505)   #11
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
My apologies for comparing this to Schumacher. I should have thought of Nelson Piquet.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3272509)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He spent the last two corners trying to find gears that worked, you could see him cycling through the gearbox. Once he was out of gears he was also out of speed and with not a lot of options to go. Given that he ended up in an OK spot at the inside of the corner. People are way too keen on conspiracy theories.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3272511)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This combined with my answer is the answer!

Quote:
My apologies for comparing this to Schumacher. I should have thought of Nelson Piquet.
No need for apologies friend.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3272540)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was a disgrace. Utterly disgraceful. I think he should get at least a 5-race ban.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3272550)   #15
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping people might argue that he was trying to force a safety car to help Webber and others saying he was forcing a safety car to block Webber...
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3272552)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I thought exactly the same; he'd tried what he could, he'd called in on the radio, he then let the car drift on at walking pace, past the obvious parking spot just before the pitwall, and even when alongside the wall made a steering movement away from the wall, leaving a good metre or more gap. I was half-expecting the steering to jam on left lock and it get parked sideways across the track!
(ducks and awaits a utube link to the event which proves me wrong...)
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3272560)   #17
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is what I thought too.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3272569)   #18
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
seems like Webber agrees with you haha

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...el_Schumacher/
Old 1 Jul 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3272580)   #19
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
...I thought Webber made reference to that when the cameras were rolling. I should check that out again.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3272770)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Vettel seems to be unable to comprehend that there was still a race on after his retirement, he had the chance to park his car safely but instead ensured that a safety car would be needed it was not the act of a gentleman or a professional driver
Old 2 Jul 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3272776)   #21
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair it's not just Vettel or indeed F1. I've dealt with many drivers in the past that have just stopped, sometimes in the middle of the straight.

This ranges from leaders with a devious plan to try to get a red flag and the race put back a lap or just plain idiocity.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3272781)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did think they mnight ahve done something to trya dn enable Webber to close up on the leaders perhaps

But judging by Marks comments to Horner after the race on the radio, I dont think there is any love lost at all in that team between Mark and the management, he was very flippant and matter of fact, and no dount happy to be done with it.

Dont think Seb was really doing much wrong though, the thing was dead. Thought the cheering and whoping was a bit OTT though, leave that for the Yanks eh. Though I think I may have clenched a fist and shouted YES!
Old 2 Jul 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3272788)   #23
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Down at Luffield there was the following sequence:

Commentator: "Vettel is slowing! Is Vettel slowing?"
Crowd: "ooh...."
Commentator: "He's stopping!"
[timing screen in Luffield Centre showed car 1 drop to 2nd place]
Crowd: "YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Although to give some credit to the fans, one behind me said "oh t*ts" and walked off. So it wasn't everyone!
Old 2 Jul 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3272795)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't really see the problem with people cheering Vettel being out.

I mean, I wouldn't do it myself, but I prefer it to the entire grandstand tutting and exclaiming "what a darned shame!" I find it quite amusing really.

Don't visit Monza for the race whatever you do guys!
Old 2 Jul 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3272866)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's a bit unsporting, and not very British.