Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3746570)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The minor debacle around the turn 8 kerbs I think highlights an interesting point with the F1 circus.

Ironically, the kerb's original intention was to slow drivers further before taking the left hander as I guess in the FIA's eyes the lower the entry speed the "safer" it is. However the reality was that it pitched several cars into the barrier, so therefore the drivers complained it was too hard, pressured the FIA, and the layout was changed. I think this sets (or perhaps rather contiunes) an interesting precedent for F1 and its tracks. The drivers seem to be pressuring the FIA to remove areas of "challenge", if its tough, or difficult, they want it gone. Bumpy tracks, gone. High kerbs, gone. Gravel traps, pretty much gone. Wet race standing starts, increasingly unlikely.

Further irony is that I prefer the layout without the kerb. I think the flattened kerb is actually better, undoubtedly it means a higher apex speed, but perhaps thats preferred to the drivers?

Even further irony, is that towards end of the lap you have a series of flat out sweepers taken approaching 200mph with no run off at all. If that was any other track, there would be a 10 acre tarmac run off zone. FIA and their track safety policies I really do find "interesting".
Old 25 Jun 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3746580)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Lewis and Bottas front row. Well done to Stroll, proving Canada wasn't a one off. Shame to see the RBRs down after their practice pace, but Ricciardo threw it away with that mistake. Hope the car is reliable for Max this time. And Honda are an embarrassment again
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3746586)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Stroll test in Texas in the '14 Williams would have made a difference Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3746590)   #29
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That kinda just defeats the point of the testing ban, no?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3746595)   #30
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The Stroll test in Texas in the '14 Williams would have made a difference Story Here
Don't think it's that much help. Totally different beasts. And no usable data that would help him with the 2017 car. If anything Stroll needs to learn to drive smoother. His steering wheel movements are way too much and is hurting him the most. He needs to watch some onboard video of Button and try to copy. Stroll's onboard videos show him to be a very nervous driver.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3746596)   #31
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
That kinda just defeats the point of the testing ban, no?
Testing ban is only for current spec cars. Being as it was a 2014 car there's no data that can be used for 2017 whatsoever. Completely different beasts. I would call it more of a training session than a testing session.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3746597)   #32
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Don't think it's that much help. Totally different beasts. And no usable data that would help him with the 2017 car. If anything Stroll needs to learn to drive smoother. His steering wheel movements are way too much and is hurting him the most. He needs to watch some onboard video of Button and try to copy. Stroll's onboard videos show him to be a very nervous driver.
Offer yourself as consultant. He has actually tested the "old" car between several races this year. You could have saved him 25 million!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3746606)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Testing ban is only for current spec cars. Being as it was a 2014 car there's no data that can be used for 2017 whatsoever. Completely different beasts. I would call it more of a training session than a testing session.
the data is allllll useable, they're testing a key component of the car...

the semantics of it are probably true tho, the point of the testing ban was to cut costs not limit driver seat time. if they want to reinstate that driver seat time and there's funds there to do it, then why not?

i think it's excellent that williams are talking about it, and in a manner in which people can perhaps understand without that stupid bitterness that comes with a driver having money.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3746613)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
"He went to Austin last week driving the 2014 car," Lowe said. "They did a few experiments with set-up, looking at some of the differences between his set-up and Felipe's set-up, and some of that's been brought forward here and I think it's put him in a much better place."

Lowe explained these experiments were focused on "generic things that are common to most racing cars", which meant they could translate easily to the 2017 Williams.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3746614)   #35
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the data is allllll useable, they're testing a key component of the car....
I see where you're coming from bella, and I do agree to a degree. But again, I would call it a "training" session rather than a "testing" session. More seat time for Lance to learn how to drive an F1 car is how I see what Williams are doing with Lance between races, and apparently being paid $25M for.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3746616)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I see where you're coming from bella, and I do agree to a degree. But again, I would call it a "training" session rather than a "testing" session. More seat time for Lance to learn how to drive an F1 car is how I see what Williams are doing with Lance between races, and apparently being paid $25M for.
For some reason I am channelling Days of Thunder, where Tom Cruise told Harry Hogge that he just got in a car and drove, and had no vocabulary around setup. Scary to have happen at this level, but could be an explanation for the repeated demolition derby that Mr Stroll has achieved thus far this season...
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3746618)   #37
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Back to Azerbaijan, did I hear correctly on SkyF1's telecast that Ferrari have decided to remove the extra oil tank before the race?? If so then wow. Have they just opened up a can of worms? Have they been running an illegal car all season upto now?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3746622)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Raikkonen starting ahead of Vettel. I'm betting everything on Raikkonen finishing behind Vettel. Let's see how I go.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3746623)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i too get where you're coming from with the training thing, but it's just testing. that's what testing is. outside f1, teams run tests to help the driver learn the car and explore it all the time. in fact its pretty much the only thing to test in single make stuff where the car has been around for a few seasons. if your driver is struggling and he can afford it you use your joker days/ecu time and you go and try and help them find their feet, either confidence wise or with their connection to the car. there's no reason it shouldn't be the same in f1.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3746624)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Raikkonen starting ahead of Vettel. I'm betting everything on Raikkonen finishing behind Vettel. Let's see how I go.
Not least because it is quite likely Vettel will be quicker in the race. Either overall or even over the key laps.

If this doesn't happen they should swap them to maximise Vettel's points and cause half the world to explode in outrage. I'll be standing back from the shrapnel.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3746626)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Almost a clean start, as Sainz has a moment at Turn 1 and Bottas and Raikkonen come together and not for the first time this year. That's Bottas race pretty much ruined. Lulu leads, followed by Vettee
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3746630)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like Verstappen's race is run and the SC comes out as Kyvat's car has stopped on the track.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3746635)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Cautions breed cautions. Third FCY.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3746636)   #44
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis braking under SC, bright. Force Indias driving into each other. Bright. Kimi driving back too fast with a puncture. Bright.

Best drivers in the world right here.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3746637)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Red flag. This is like an IndyCar street race.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3746638)   #46
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Formula Safety Car has been red flagged.

Please remove this track from the schedule ASAP. Thank you.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3746639)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Red flag. Track sweepers on track to sweep up all the stupidity and debris that's fallen off the cars.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3746640)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the channel 4 commentary team aren't really being sensible about the sc. on a street circuit it's far safer for marshals and recovery workers for the cars to bunch up and for there to be a longer period of time where the track they're working on is empty. the vsc is a virtually useless concept on a street circuit.

vettel needs to be seriously reprimanded, if not given a one race ban for driving into the side of hamilton like that under the safety car.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3746641)   #49
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Lewis brakes mid corner during the SC. Moron. Vettel then pulls up beside him and hit him. Moron.

I'm so glad we have brilliant drivers in this series.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3746642)   #50
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lewis brakes mid corner during the SC. Moron. Vettel then pulls up beside him and hit him. Moron.

I'm so glad we have brilliant drivers in this series.
Let's punish them both. Maybe we can have Stroll win the race.