Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Aug 2017, 01:05 (Ref:3758512)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSV Brand To Be Retired?

Story Here

A LOT of brand equity built over 30 years erased in a single poof...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Aug 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3758527)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, linked story over a month old, rumours have been circulating for a while along with suggestions that RHD Camaro importing is one of the things on the agenda.

Once the last Australian built Commodores are produced (December apparently) I guess there'll be some kind of announcement re the future.

Like everything around the end of vehicle manufacturing in Oz, it'll be the end of a special era whether or not the name is retained.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3758762)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is pretty simple really, the HSV name is operated under licence from Holden, and if it doesn't have value for Holden anymore, then it doesn't exist.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3758768)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
It is pretty simple really, the HSV name is operated under licence from Holden, and if it doesn't have value for Holden anymore, then it doesn't exist.
Absolutely. Except.. there are thousands of owners out there in consumer land who might just be wondering what's going on with the value of a product not continuing
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3758785)   #5
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSV was originally built on bad blood, and at the expense of Mr Brock.
Doubt anybody, apart from the real diehards, will really care.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3758788)   #6
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'll probably drive up the prices of the last few from the die hards.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3758794)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
It'll probably drive up the prices of the last few from the die hards.
Well I have just brought a GTS-R.....
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3758806)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Absolutely. Except.. there are thousands of owners out there in consumer land who might just be wondering what's going on with the value of a product not continuing
It's the same for people that bought HDT cars, Tickford cars, FPV etc. Not to mention Saab, Opel or early Renaults before the company pulled out of Oz.

It's just the way these things roll sometimes.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3758820)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even the likes of VW were non-existant for a period of time.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3758830)   #10
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
It's the same for people that bought HDT cars, Tickford cars.....etc......It's just the way these things roll sometimes.
Except HDT still exists and they've brought back Tickford.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3758852)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yeah, linked story over a month old, rumours have been circulating for a while along with suggestions that RHD Camaro importing is one of the things on the agenda.
The circle of life continues...

I have been told that there are lots of Aussie accents in the GM chassis design department now. Some consolation that engineering isn't going to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well I have just brought a GTS-R.....
Seriously? Can you post some pics in the road car forum sometime? I want the things I can't have the most.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3758874)   #12
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
HSV was originally built on bad blood, and at the expense of Mr Brock.
Doubt anybody, apart from the real diehards, will really care.
Yes, but they mended this by bringing Brock back into the fold. No reason for Brock fans and HDT special vehicle drivers to still have bad blood with HSV.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3758905)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Except HDT still exists and they've brought back Tickford.
HDT very different to what it originally was but you're right the brand is still there (after a very long break when it wasn't). Tickford back again after another rather long break.

Point remains though that both ceased, with car owners in a similar situation to HSV if the brand is "retired".

It happens (both Renault and VW came back too) and for all we know may happen with the HSV brand too - however they won't be locally built cars.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3758943)   #14
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Seriously? Can you post some pics in the road car forum sometime? I want the things I can't have the most.
Check back in October when I get it delivered, customised black with a manual 'box. (Sales rep wanted me to buy a white automatic but preferred the black manual)
Old 12 Aug 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3758944)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Check back in October when I get it delivered, customised black with a manual 'box. (Sales rep wanted me to buy a white automatic but preferred the black manual)
Black with manual is the ONLY choice. I think we're going to be best buds!
Old 13 Aug 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3759144)   #16
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Since Triple Eight has Holden factory support, could they take over Walkinshaw's HSV operation?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3759274)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Since Triple Eight has Holden factory support, could they take over Walkinshaw's HSV operation?
The racing deal and the road car deal have always been completely seperate deals, even in the Brock/HDT days
Old 15 Aug 2017, 02:34 (Ref:3759446)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I fail to see how a racing team could have anything to do with a manufacturing operation.

Without Holden cars manufactured to hot up, it is difficult to know what HSV's future might be.

Holden I'd imagine has no desire for it to just be bolt on hot up bits, this HSV retiring.

Walkinshaw Performance has good form for that sort of thing.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3760657)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is there actually a marketing need for a factory-endorsed tuning shop down here in a full import market?

Presumably any go faster parts for Insignia/Commodore with a factory stamp of approval will show up ex-Europe now..
Old 21 Aug 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3760658)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have thought all European-sourced GM products would have OPC/VXR branding on them too.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3760679)   #21
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Upon reflection and what others have said, I can see the logic of HSV re-branding to become Walkinshaw Performance. After this year, they're be no different to other companies like Tekno, Tickford, etc.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3760687)   #22
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walkinshaw Performance has existed for quite a while already. They planned this out well.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3760724)   #23
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'd have thought all European-sourced GM products would have OPC/VXR branding on them too.
Maybe beforehand, but not going forward I wouldn't imagine, given GM selling their European brands Opel & Vauxhall to PSA.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3760726)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran

When does that kick in though?

We already have the new Astra here, with more Euro-GM vehicles (Commodore included), in the offing.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3777453)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Walkinshaw Sees Strong Future For HSV