Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:57 (Ref:854152)   #1
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf to Toyota in 05

There are reports that Ralf will head to Toyota next year. With the contract stand off with Williams and Olivier Panis saying the Toyota is no good the move is looking more solid then before.If this happens whos to drive for Williams next year and more to the point would this be benificial for Ralf.

The Grumpy1
Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:03 (Ref:854162)   #2
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
REALLY!? Wow!
So, it may be Ralf and Cristiano next year?
Thanks for the rumor/news
Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:22 (Ref:854198)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do we have a new source for this aside from the recent press speculation?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:32 (Ref:854211)   #4
grumpy1
Veteran

Two motorsport mags in Aus and a little by line in a German newspaper who say Ralf has dug his hells in and won't budge on terms.Toyota have said to Ralf's management name your terms within reason and jobs done.

The Grumpy1
P.S.This newspaper are hardly ever wrong.

Last edited by grumpy1; 28 Jan 2004 at 20:33.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:854269)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Ralf to Toyota in 05

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
and Olivier Panis saying the Toyota is no good the move is looking more solid then before.
Olivier did critize the team at the beginning of the 2003 season, but if he still feels that the team are no good then he wouldn't be staying for 2004 would he?

However, i do think that 2004 will be Oliviers last season in F1 and Rafe is most likely to replace him.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 22:06 (Ref:854341)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Ralf will have some competition for that seat from DC, although if DC beats Kimi...

I believe that DC would make a great addition to Toyota.

Last edited by GP Racer; 28 Jan 2004 at 22:07.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:854372)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS to Toyota! Even more reason for me to dislike them. I am surprised anyone would pick up RS, DC or any other of the would have been/could have been drivers in F1. IMO Toyota would be better served with a younger and cheaper driver, then again on second thought it may be great. If RS is ever behind JB or TS I will have nothing to worry about where him passin them is concerned.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 22:40 (Ref:854400)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
RS to Toyota! Even more reason for me to dislike them. I am surprised anyone would pick up RS, DC or any other of the would have been/could have been drivers in F1. IMO Toyota would be better served with a younger and cheaper driver, then again on second thought it may be great. If RS is ever behind JB or TS I will have nothing to worry about where him passin them is concerned.
I know your a big fan of Toyota Neil, so maybe you can tell me why they have kept Panis for this year? Was it strictly contractual, or do they really like him?

Personally, I think Toyota is wasting another year with him in there seat, but thats only MHO...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 07:00 (Ref:854695)   #9
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
P.S.This newspaper are hardly ever wrong.
Wasn't the Gazetta, was it?
Old 29 Jan 2004, 07:41 (Ref:854705)   #10
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ralf to Toyota in 05

Well, the Mole (ITV-f1) also state Ralf won't be at BMW Williams in 2005 and joint Toyota.

The truth? Honeslty, I have no idea.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 07:42 (Ref:854706)   #11
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The links:

http://www.itv-f1.com/themole/mole_story/19551
Old 29 Jan 2004, 08:28 (Ref:854747)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its stupid for ralf to dig his heels in, although Toyota may be a top team there's no guarntee.

Luckily that does free up both Williams seats for '05, Button and Webber would be a VERY strong driver lineup!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:42 (Ref:854911)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf should have lowered his term to keep a potential WDC seat. What's better? Racing at the front with a good pay, or mixing in the midfields with a great pay? If they enjoy racing, theyd opt for the former.

Toyota has a potential in da Matta, plus a potential in Briscoe. Now they need a proven driver. People may complain why DC/Ralf... but truth is, there isn't much "better" choices around.Things may change however, and maybe Toyota may change it's mind and pursue Webber or Alonso instead if they won this year?

Keeping Oliver in Toyota is a good and bad move. It's good as Oliver is a wonderful developement driver, bad because good a driver he is, he's kind of past his prime in racing.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:59 (Ref:854933)   #14
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Williams will admitt that Ralf is the best testdriver they had for a long time. He is also extremly quick with a perfectly set up car. So he would bring his set-up skills and his great technical feedback pluss the working knowledge from a great organization to any team he is going to join. With his skills and speed he can be used as a perfect benchmark to any young driver.

Probably the same would apply to DC, so he would be a good choice also. Ralf is probably better choice because he is younger a little bit.

For Ralf it is a great change. I am pretty sure he knows that even though he is very very quick he is no champion material. So for him the only way to save face is to join a team like Toyota.
At leat that is my opinion.

Cheers,

Attila

Last edited by Attila; 29 Jan 2004 at 11:01.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 11:30 (Ref:854961)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf or DC would be ideal for Toyota in my view. Their salaries would be no issue, they have experience which can help develop the car and get the team pushing in the right direction (especially with regards to race strategy), and are both fast and competitive on their day.

Pushing for more moeny at Williams strikes me as a risky move by Ralf and Willi.Toyota will be unliekly to challenge Williams or the other top teams for quite some time, and surely Ralf can afford to lose a small amount financially? Besides, his performances so far haven't really merited £12m a year.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:854991)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ralf in Toyota is a great move for him . Toyota will be a force Ralf is a good /Fast driver . And I think he will drive a hole lot better away from williams
Old 29 Jan 2004, 12:12 (Ref:855045)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
But what about Briscoe? Wasn't he going to be 'promoted' to a drive when Olive retires, as Sato was at BAR?
Old 29 Jan 2004, 15:10 (Ref:855222)   #18
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I do not think that Ralf will be moving teams next year unless he wants to drive for Toyota.
I have also heard that BMW have said that they would like to keep a German driver in the seat for next season.
So, unless they find someone new who can match Ralf's driving skills, Mr. Williams will not want to let Ralf go so easily.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 15:20 (Ref:855227)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ralf chooses Toyota over Williams it's a classic case of choosing money over performance - something which usually turns out to be a mistake.

Last edited by Kicking-back; 29 Jan 2004 at 15:21.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:57 (Ref:855394)   #20
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pit_Lane_Babe
So, unless they find someone new who can match Ralf's driving skills, Mr. Williams will not want to let Ralf go so easily.
Frank's history with regards to drivers and money/egos would seem to indicate that he would not have a problem letting Ralf go. He certainly has done it with better drivers than baby bro.

I would not be surprised if Frank has made a decision about Ralf and '05 already.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:855405)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's about time that Ralf would quit hogging his Williams seat that he doesn't deserve.
I can think of a few drivers who deserve that seat more than he does.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:43 (Ref:855447)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kicking-Back probably has it correct, drivers such as JV have suffered for taking the pot of gold. Ralf can't say he's tempted by havign #1 status at Toyota either, ebcause he will do at Williams if he stays - they'll almost certainly team him with a much less experienced driver. That said, had he beaten Montoya convincingly from the word go, he would ahve #1 status already.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:14 (Ref:855501)   #23
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a bit harsh to say that Ralf should give up his seat at Williams because he does not deserve it. I think he has worked hard to be where he is now.
You only tend to move teams of your own free will if 1. you are not happy with the current teams progress 2. the new team has a lot more to offer.
I can not see why he would want to move to Toyota. I doubt very much that by 2005 they would have made any progress to speak off.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:45 (Ref:855550)   #24
grumpy1
Veteran

Word is to pay out Webbers contract at Jag is @$2million US. How its split up don't know.As for Brisco he's fast in testing and the rumblings I have heard are he will be elivated.When I don't know and at whos expense can't tell you.This is unconfirmed at this stage but anything is possible.The thing that will ensure this is a bit more cash behind the kid.Hes getting more well known in Aus through a commercial for Toyota so anythings possible.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 29 Jan 2004 at 19:47.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 01:39 (Ref:855872)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Toyota's perspective they have a very reliable and experienced driver in Panis. He's not the fastest guy on the grid, but why force him out for a guy like DC who's not any faster? I could see that with Ralf, but why would Ralf leave Williams for 2005?