Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Dec 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3694375)   #126
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
One would think costs of temporary mounds would have been factored into the proposal - rather than as an after thought.

I also dont understand how or why SOPA would oppose temporary viewing mounds?
A moot point since the series isn't ever visiting this venue again.

Any comments about the actual racing from the weekend or only about hills?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Dec 2016, 07:13 (Ref:3694395)   #127
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I would assume that it'd be just another mess to clean up.
Except the clean up is arranged and carried out by the promoter not SOPA? Hence there perceived opposing it unlikely.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3694399)   #128
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How many bottles of Krug have you cracked in celebration of the failure of this particular race venue?

Give it up, please. Its over now. Cochrane is dead too. Isn't that enough for you?

This seems a bit rich?

Why is discussing the end of the event off limits? You have talked down to any poster talking negatively about Homebush ever since the announcement of the event's ending was made. Did you have a personal stake in it or something?

You've been willing to stick the boot in about other teams, drivers, events etc... in the past.... but why is no one allowed to seemingly do it about Homebush ending?? You have seemed to want the whole issue to be swept under the carpet and forgotten about....

Plenty of ridiculous claims were made during the events tenure about how successful it was "going" to be..... that stuff shouldn't be talked about given it didn't turn out that way?

The event flopped. This is a motorsport forum and some members want to discuss it. It is being discussed in a thread about the last event, it is hardly off topic

Quote:
I am suggesting that if the subject matter doesn't change, then the thread will close.:
If the subject matter getting discussed lately is about the Sydney 500 and the mistakes made, why should the thread be closed??
Old 7 Dec 2016, 08:27 (Ref:3694419)   #129
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd suggest the thread could be closed because the points being made are the same ones already made in this thread and others, ad infinitum.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 08:38 (Ref:3694425)   #130
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So about the race, anyone think the new pitlane rules that allowed SVG to make contact with Tander will be changed back come next season? Also, what was the burning need to change the rule so cars can run into each other in the pits? Love to hear the logic behind it
Old 7 Dec 2016, 09:51 (Ref:3694445)   #131
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Except the clean up is arranged and carried out by the promoter not SOPA? Hence there perceived opposing it unlikely.
If it were done since the first event, maybe they could be filled in the brickpit next door?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3694447)   #132
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they have the right balance of contact in pitlane at the moment.

What needs to be better managed is the penalties applied to contact out on the track. It's a competitive tin-top series. Biff and barge should be allowed.

They're not gentleman racers in obsolete historics.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3694451)   #133
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
One would think costs of temporary mounds would have been factored into the proposal - rather than as an after thought.

I also dont understand how or why SOPA would oppose temporary viewing mounds?
I would think mounds would be factored in too and I haven't seen the actual prop but I'm aware that budgets were revised and changed around over the first couple or three years, there was some public discussion about it at the time IIRC.

In regard to SOPA, the organisation was publicly against the event and has a history of making life difficult at times for events it doesn't fully support or outright opposes (I've worked there on 2 such events - not the V8 race). There were stories around the event world at the time that SOPA didn't want mounds as it would change the venue from how it was presented at the 2000 Olympics. That may well have been part of the reason that mounds didn't happen.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3694459)   #134
Umai Naa
Veteran

I don't know why they're so bent out of shape, preserving it's Olympicity. The statues are there, the fancy paving is still there. Get over it, and start redeveloping parts of it for other things that could be better utilised.

I've been there for various other events, and besides what single event was on, the place was a ghost town.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3694636)   #135
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have though temporary mounds would be a nightmare.
Dirt = dust or mud, unlikely to be somewhere in between
Real Grass = would need to be laid well in advance annually to make sure it takes prior to the event, and would likely be killed off by all the consistent trampling over the weekend
Fake Grass/Astroturf = Good luck parking your backside on that in 35+ degrees!

Would have thought permanent viewing mounds would be better. The straight between Turns 1 and 2 on drivers right had a fairly good existing option. I was quite surprised this was closed off to spectators from the 1st race onwards. Maybe had to clear a few trees?

Do they do temporary mounds elsewhere, and if so how do they do it?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 23:00 (Ref:3694640)   #136
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And exactly how many more Supercar events are scheduled to be held in the Olympic Park precinct?

ZERO...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Dec 2016, 23:51 (Ref:3694649)   #137
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Do they do temporary mounds elsewhere, and if so how do they do it?
I don't believe that temporary mounds were ever under consideration - permanent mounds would have been good but as I mentioned earlier, didn't happen for whatever reason.

Newcastle based on the track layout released is running through a very different environment and hopefully the GA viewing options will be much better.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 00:19 (Ref:3694651)   #138
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And exactly how many more Supercar events are scheduled to be held in the Olympic Park precinct?

ZERO...
WHY??????????........
Old 8 Dec 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3694653)   #139
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
In regard to SOPA, the organisation was publicly against the event and has a history of making life difficult at times for events it doesn't fully support or outright opposes (I've worked there on 2 such events - not the V8 race).
SOPA very much opposed the event and without their support/approval no event can take place at SOP. Hence the NSW Government creating a new organisation 'Homebush Motor Racing Authority' to get around this and SOPA's ownership/ authority over the venue was removed annually for 3 days every year between 2009 - 2016.

Therefore SOPA opposing mounds or anything else for the duration of the event would have been ignored and not basically meaningless.

Remarkable lengths for the NSW Government to go to for an event that never reached any of its promised deliverables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
I've been there for various other events, and besides what single event was on, the place was a ghost town.
I would suggest you get down to SOP Umai Naa to re evaluate. In terms of the businesses and residences who now call SOP home in addition to the winter & summer sports that operate on a weekly basis.

Ghost town - I think not.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 02:49 (Ref:3694667)   #140
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
SOPA very much opposed the event and without their support/approval no event can take place at SOP. Hence the NSW Government creating a new organisation 'Homebush Motor Racing Authority' to get around this and SOPA's ownership/ authority over the venue was removed annually for 3 days every year between 2009 - 2016.

Therefore SOPA opposing mounds or anything else for the duration of the event would have been ignored and not basically meaningless.

Remarkable lengths for the NSW Government to go to for an event that never reached any of its promised deliverables.
Setting up an authority or enabling an act to prevent bureaucratic issues is common practice for such events - has been the case in Adelaide from the first GP for example, same in Melbourne, same for the Qld street races. Is also used for a range of large festivals, events and sports events.

SOPA was part of the HMRA so could still apply restrictions where the SOPA regs allow, as late as this year for example due to SOPA requirements there was a large amount of barrier position changes in one part of the track, kicking up the cost somewhat. SOPA was therefore neither ignored nor meaningless.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3694692)   #141
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
SOPA was part of the HMRA so could still apply restrictions where the SOPA regs allow, as late as this year for example due to SOPA requirements there was a large amount of barrier position changes in one part of the track, kicking up the cost somewhat.
They had a 1 seat (of 6) on an advisory board to the HMRA - so they had a voice yes but hardly in a position to apply restrictions solely of their design.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3694704)   #142
Umai Naa
Veteran

Was it just me, or did the run down to turn 1 become a lot narrower this year?
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3694714)   #143
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trick of the eye?

Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3694730)   #144
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Trick of the eye?

Yeah, I'll go with that.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3694766)   #145
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
They had a 1 seat (of 6) on an advisory board to the HMRA - so they had a voice yes but hardly in a position to apply restrictions solely of their design.
Plus a position on the Management board, plus influence on what was available for the event to use within the precinct etc.

Bear in mind that I didn't say that SOPA were definitely the reason for the lack of mounds, just that they may have been at least part of the reason.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3694767)   #146
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Was it just me, or did the run down to turn 1 become a lot narrower this year?
The area I was told about was not turn 1.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 21:08 (Ref:3694874)   #147
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any reason there for the lack of catch fencing on the pit wall?

With marshals required to stand next to the wall at the start of each race to wave yellow flags in case a car stalls it seemed a little odd in these saftey conscious days.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 00:19 (Ref:3695212)   #148
D.R.T.
Veteran

Was there any crowd announced by the promoter for the event this year?

Or do they pick and choose which crowd figures they announce these days?
Old 11 Dec 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3695223)   #149
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Impossible to give a crowd for Friday, they opened the gates, and when I went through no one was keeping count via turnstyles, computers, scanning in etc...
Old 11 Dec 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3695249)   #150
D.R.T.
Veteran

Unusual as V8SC is usually on the front foot at its street races for announcing daily and event total crowds.

Would be interesting to track the crowds from 2009 to 2016