Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jul 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1363345)   #26
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay fellas, lets not get out of hand here. The guys locked away for a bit, won't be hurting anyone for some time...(though I'm sure 12 years is still the maximum sentence).

Despite the dodgy dealings and whatever, the drivers who have won championships & races in his cars (and those that haven't!) are in no way responsible nor impacted by Mr Lee's deeds...lets not bring them into this.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1363363)   #27
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
Im sure he'll be back and stupid people will give him money to drive in his racing cars just like every other crook in the business.
Hi Mackmot! Who do you mean! Motorsport News quoted Lee had a "record to be proud of!" Where they high on drugs when they wrote the article?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1363366)   #28
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSportRacer
gotta say im really disapointed that its only 12 years..
should be much much much longer!
2nd offence! He should of got at least 25 years!!!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1363530)   #29
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Would that be ex-BTCC driver Jerry Mahoney?
Yes it is
Old 26 Jul 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1363550)   #30
yeltneb
Rookie

yeltneb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO once he had been convicted the first time he should have been ostracised from motorsport completely. If anyone got their fingeres burnt because they where doing business with him have only themselves to blame.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1363805)   #31
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeltneb
IMO once he had been convicted the first time he should have been ostracised from motorsport completely. If anyone got their fingeres burnt because they where doing business with him have only themselves to blame.

Maybe some of the newer entrants to motorsport would not of known of his past history, just his BTCC history. Any one who knew of him knew he was a man of (illegal) substance.

Hopefully when he gets out he will be too old to enter motorsport again, or one of his lesser sentenced co-horts decides to finish him off in revenge for getting caught.

Congratulations to HM Customs and Excise, job well done.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1364008)   #32
Rutlandgeezer
Rookie

Rutlandgeezer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jerry Mahoney was in charge of the Hospitality ViP club. No wonder it was expensive to join if that is what was on the table!!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1364113)   #33
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All this about sorry for drivers etc - yes, they are innocent of any crime but was I the only one in the entire motorsport world that was slightly puzzled in the VLR BTCC BMW days by obvious massive expenditure (introducing the Hollinger gearbox etc) without an obvious matching big name sponsor? It has been the clue in NASCAR etc before...
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1364164)   #34
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
All this about sorry for drivers etc - yes, they are innocent of any crime but was I the only one in the entire motorsport world that was slightly puzzled in the VLR BTCC BMW days by obvious massive expenditure (introducing the Hollinger gearbox etc) without an obvious matching big name sponsor? It has been the clue in NASCAR etc before...

That is what alerted HM Customs and started Operation Bounce
Old 27 Jul 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1364485)   #35
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Ray Bellm paid for the Hollinger boxes in 91?
The thing I have an issue with is that companies such as Puegeot and Halfords were so willing to set him up in business again so soon after his release. What message is that giving out to the public?
Old 30 Jul 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1367573)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of gullible people out there. Personally I'm not convinced that anyone who commits an offence of this severity twice should ever be allowed to walk the streets again.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1367649)   #37
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have yoinked out a couple of naming uninvolved people's name posts. Please can we refrain from attacking drivers or any other of Vic Lee's associates that have neither been found guilty or even charged with any offence please!
Old 30 Jul 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1367696)   #38
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfox2000
Hi Mackmot! Who do you mean! Motorsport News quoted Lee had a "record to be proud of!" Where they high on drugs when they wrote the article?

Well he does have, of sorts anyway.......
Old 30 Jul 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1367737)   #39
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with KMChow's (now-deleted?) post earlier where he talked about degrees of culpability. So what about the Tobacco companies who have killed millions over the years, probably far more than have been killed by so called 'illegal drugs'. I am assuming Mr Lee was peddling Columbian marching powder? In my experience this is a drug that so expensive that only the relatively affluent can afford it anyway. If you measure the amount of lives ruined by whatever Vic supplied against those ruined by fags n booze, the elixirs of the working classes, theres going to be a disparity in the amount of problems caused.

Also how much people know - certainly when I was in and around the paddock working people like Valour racing, Foundation and I guess VLR stood out, and if we knew then surely their drivers did? Does anyone remember Davy Evans? He was a Welsh FF driver who basically took the rap when John Uptons Valour team were caught. I dont know if prison ruined his life, but the way I heard it he took the fall to prevent one of the teams other drivers who was destined to win GPs being implicated. But it depends on what you think constitutes culpability? We did transporter modifications for Mick Goldeney of Foundation/Vector fame. It was obvious what we were doing would be useful for importing goods, if he so wished. But Mick was a good guy to us, ok he was slow in paying and then it was cash but at the circuits he was very helpful, he did us good deals on cars, engines, spares etc. You could say we should have known it was money laundering - but we frankly did'nt care at the time. We wanted to go racing, simple as that.

BTW ones I have mentioned were the ones that got caught. Theres plenty of others out there who didnt get caught. If it was'nt drugs they would be crooks of somke other sort or another. And dont even start me on Italian F3000 teams!! Certainly not adverse to pulling guns to get over a point. They were Mafioso!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1368473)   #40
TTRMotorsport
Racer

TTRMotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a problem within motorsport, Becuase of the expense it will always lead a chance for money laundering and the inter europe/world transport will allow for smuggling of contraband. And it is something that the sport will have to fight against together. But i believe it was a bit out of order to have a go at people who have dealt with him I tried to do a deal with him and I had no idea about his dealing or past so would it be fair for me to go under because I wasnt in motorsport at the time?
And I think the figure 1.7m for 19kgs is a bit much even after cutting I can see it only making just bellow the Million mark, But maybe I am Wrong.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1368495)   #41
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRMotorsport
And I think the figure 1.7m for 19kgs is a bit much even after cutting I can see it only making just bellow the Million mark, But maybe I am Wrong.
You're right - that's around £100 a gram...a bit expensive even for pure stuff.

£45-£50 is a much more reasonable price, which would give it a value of £850-950k.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1368527)   #42
TTRMotorsport
Racer

My maths is that 19kgs after cut becomes 25.5Grams and it is about 30k a Kilogram for the importer, so that is around £770,000
Old 31 Jul 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1368545)   #43
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Personally, I'm a bit worried you're both such good experts
Old 31 Jul 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1368552)   #44
TTRMotorsport
Racer

Lol, I have quite a few mates who are druggies.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1368908)   #45
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
Over in the USA the Whittingdon brothers, John Paul snr, John Paul jnr and Randy Lanier were running around tracks in the 80's with brand new kit. When they were all convicted AJ Foyt stuck a sticker on his car "Not funded by drugs!" How many BTCC and other drivers would do the same?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1368942)   #46
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Yet Foyt was sponsored by tobacco...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1369057)   #47
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Yet Foyt was sponsored by tobacco...
Tobacco is, however, LEGAL everywhere - while Cocaine is ILLEGAL everywhere.

just a minor point.

And I may be wrong, but I hazard a guess that a medical opinion might be that Cocaine is a tad more harmfull as well.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1369069)   #48
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Tobacco is a drug, though, isn't it? And the specific product AJ was promoting is banned in Europe.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1369077)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoutsider
And I may be wrong, but I hazard a guess that a medical opinion might be that Cocaine is a tad more harmfull as well.

Not necessarily
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1369113)   #50
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I thought the topic of this thread was Vic Lee and not the relevant attributes of one drug over another? Maybe it's time to 'nudge' it back on course...