Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1362095)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Anybody else get the impression that there isn't exactly thousands there? I remember last year when I went to Mondello it being dead in comparison to other meetings and it seems its even quieter this year. I see the logistical and marketing reasons for going to Ireland, but why play to 5-6,000 and travel all the way over the Ireland when you could race at Rockingham infront of 30,000 + ?
I was going to say that the cameras are normally facing away from the spectator areas and the bits outside the track you can see are off-limits so it always looks quieter on TV, but having seen the onboard shots turn one did seem unusually empty. I'm sure the weather didn't help.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1362103)   #27
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Expecting a truck load of penalty points are available for prizes after that race!

Standards aside, Vauxhall strong (obviously, 3 wins!) again, championship fight hotting up nicely between VX & Dynamics...looks like Seat are barging themselves out of it.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1362108)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the driving standards issue will run and run, I think something needs to be done. But well done to VX for this weekend.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1362117)   #29
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I was going to say that the cameras are normally facing away from the spectator areas and the bits outside the track you can see are off-limits so it always looks quieter on TV, but having seen the onboard shots turn one did seem unusually empty. I'm sure the weather didn't help.
True redshoes, last year I remember it being quiet and then picking up as the day wore on but I'd have been surprised if the crowd figure broke 5,000, this year it looks even less than that. Ive seen more at Donington for a club meeting!

Just think that it seems a waste of a meeting. I understand the marketing need but there's hardly any potential customers there! Visiting Castle Combe or Rockingham instead would guarantee 3/4 times as many spectators.

Do agree the weather would have had an effect but still nowhere near good enough really in all honesty.

Just watching the Uno race, obviously been watching and learning from the Touring Car boys looking at the driving standards!

I'd also like to offer my congratulations to VXR, they were immense this weekend and Muller really showed his undoubted quality. Its game on for the championship now!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1362119)   #30
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Missed whatever went off thanks to Motors TV timing, as was watching the Moto GP from Donington (you think Mondello was wet..) and turned over to Motors at 4.30 to be met with them halfway through the race!

Saw the TD / Plato incident, revenge by Neal for Plato's tap on Eaves? Personally I tend to agree with Plato on that, Dan was forcing Plato deep into the corner.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1362126)   #31
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well I tuned in to see my second race of the year... has it been like this all season? Ridiculous! I like to see a little spiritted driving but that was madness. Was there a single car Collard didn't hit?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1362162)   #32
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Himself.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1362308)   #33
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The driving standards are a joke, the cars are ugly and the grid is still woeful.

I've watched three meetings on TV this season and they are getting worse every time, drivers too immature or untalented to pass anothe car without the seemingly obligatory rear three quarters punt - I think I saw one clean pass this afternoon and felt like sending the drivers involved a telegram of congratulations.

If somebody doesn't step in and deal with it someone is going to get badly hurt. Worse still young drivers coming in will see this as the norm - it IS a downward spiral.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1362375)   #34
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they altered the points system Turned over to Motors TV and thought extra points might have been awarded for the amount of panel damage sustained/inflicted Not what is expected at this level.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1362395)   #35
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The third race was a bit more close contact than usual.

Collard & Plato I think had reached the end of their tether today, I'd at least hope/expect words would be had with those two.

Asides from that, it was a good days clean & fun racing.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1362416)   #36
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I see the logistical and marketing reasons for going to Ireland, but why play to 5-6,000 and travel all the way over the Ireland when you could race at Rockingham infront of 30,000 + ?
Because Mondello offered to pay more to have the race than Rockingham did..... Also, Irish fans are discerning, I'm sure if the premier English tin-top class could provide a grid larger than 16 cars then there would be more people bothering to pay the Euro 35 to get in the gate. Best racing of the day, the Fiat Arbaths and Der Bikes Mit Wings... Sorry, Formula BMW.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1362418)   #37
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
The most worrying thing was last week walking around Croft and hearing many people talking about how they couldn't wait for drivers to start taking each other off. It worried me that this is how the BTCC is starting to pull in the punters....
It's how the majority of large motorsport events attract punters. Let's face it, even hardened race fans remember the races for the big incidents rather than for who won, it's a fact of life.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1362572)   #38
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Because Mondello offered to pay more to have the race than Rockingham did..... Also, Irish fans are discerning, I'm sure if the premier English tin-top class could provide a grid larger than 16 cars then there would be more people bothering to pay the Euro 35 to get in the gate. Best racing of the day, the Fiat Arbaths and Der Bikes Mit Wings... Sorry, Formula BMW.
Yes,Mondello never has attracted crowds since it was opened.Watching the opening FBMW race yesterday,on Motors TV,there did not seem to be a single person around the circuit-a few managed to get up to arrive later.And this is the biggest meeting in Ireland? Biggest crowd in Ireland is of course at Pheonix Park where you do not have to pay,and its easily accessable by public transport.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1362609)   #39
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to Ireland twice and on both occasions the crowds have been appalling.

Its the same 16 or so cars that race everywhere else and draw in the crowds in all honesty so you can't just put it down to the fact that the grid is poor....although I agree it is.

Would also agree that the BMW race was by far the race of the day...the second race was superb.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1362617)   #40
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Asides from that, it was a good days clean & fun racing.
If that was clean racing then I hate to see dirty racing. It was more banger racing than touring car racing with top professional drivers. The drivers should be ashamed with that display. The young drivers coming up through karting ect will watch race 3 and see their 'heros' getting away with punting off their rivals and it will do it themselves. When they get hauled up before the CofC they will say 'Driver A got away with it in Championship X so I should get away it'. It does happen. These top line drivers should set an example on what is good driving standards. I know there will always be contact in motorsport, but as all contact is reported th CofC and/or the Stewards need to punish those who use contact to advance their postition or try to move the other car out of the way.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1364667)   #41
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first time id been to mondello, i dont think the crowds where as bad as people are making out altho - with those steeped banks and fenced off areas its not like theres much space for them anyway! There were loads of people in the paddock complex
Old 27 Jul 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1364705)   #42
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Yes,Mondello never has attracted crowds since it was opened.Watching the opening FBMW race yesterday,on Motors TV,there did not seem to be a single person around the circuit-a few managed to get up to arrive later.And this is the biggest meeting in Ireland? Biggest crowd in Ireland is of course at Pheonix Park where you do not have to pay,and its easily accessable by public transport.
Well as for Mondello not attracting crowds, that's not true for a start. Take a look at footage from any rallycross over the last few years. And we never have a problem getting bums on seats for bikes or for karts. It's just cars that don't seem to get the same level of interest.

In terms of spectators, as has been pointed out by others, there were plenty there. Possibly not as much as you would have had at one of the UK circuits, but then again, in that weather, without the full support package, for 16 cars (and the rumour was that it was only going to be 10), it's hardly surprising. In addition, there were a number of All Ireland sporting events going on that weekend. For some reason Toca always manage to put their Mondello date on the same weekend as a large Irish sporting event. Toca dictate the dates, not Mondello.

Phoenix Park has been cancelled this year due to lack of funding so the much vaunted crowds are obviously not enough to attract sponsorship.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1364841)   #43
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin

Phoenix Park has been cancelled this year due to lack of funding so the much vaunted crowds are obviously not enough to attract sponsorship.
Sad to hear that news.Just as well I had not planned a trip this year.A meeting I have enjoyed 3 times in the past.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1365048)   #44
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there any pre-race publicity or advertising for the event as I didn't hear or see any mention of the meeting for the 4 days I was over there.

I approached the circuit from the northen end through the towns of Clane & Prosperous and there wasn't even a roadsign to Mondello Park, let alone a poster advertising the circuit's biggest car meeting of the year.

At least when the FIA Sportscars visited Mondello a few years ago they held a (static) display in the centre of Dublin.