Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2439985)   #1
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting in Historics

Hi all

I've been lurking with intent on TTs for some time now and, having just got a Nat B license, I am finally biting the bullet and purchasing a historic racing car. I am selling my current classic to fund it which isnt going to be easy for me to do, so I want to make sure I'm making the right moves.

I am pretty sure I am going down the 'legal' MGB route as I've seen a car and I'm surprised at what appears to be very good value for money considering the build costs talked about.

My plan is to ease into it with some track days (RMA or similar - something with decent manners and standards) this year and doing four or five races next year. I'm thinking HSCC?

Before I do finally bite the bullet, what sort of costs do you guys run up on an averagely expensive season, taking really unfortunate stuff out of the equation! What pitfalls should I be taking into account in general and with this type of vehicle and is it reasonable for me to do most of my own prep and maintenance.

Really sorry for all the questions guys!

Simon
Old 13 Apr 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2440023)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are going the B route,as long as you make the right purchase to start with,you should get some very reliable racing.You will probably not be spending much more than entry fee's/general running cost's.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 03:47 (Ref:2440160)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd also suggest you try racing with the MGCC for a start. They have a FIA class in the BCV8 Championship and are also pretty friendly.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 05:22 (Ref:2440175)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Simon

There is of course an unwritten requirement in Historics that you are of an appropriate age......

Anything with a simple specification like the car you mention is perfect for looking after yourself. (Have to be careful not to mention them too often on here!) My Gilbern uses same oily bits and I really appreciate how easy it is to get bits and how simple the car is to maintain.

I think most people will agree that HSCC and MGCC good clubs to get involved with. I started racing with Equipe GTS and them 2 years ago- Good luck with your ambitions!

Mike
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2440207)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
grumpy young men are allowed, ageism is Rife, but if you whinge and moan enough you soon become accepted no matter how young you are.

some of us are so young we're still in our thirties
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2440389)   #6
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Te he, ageism is just fine by me!

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not looking for outright speed just yet, just safe racing with some nice charismatic cars around me.

Hopefully see you out there......
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2440405)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car costs can (and do) get out of hand but unless you stick to local stuff the cost of getting to meetings (unless you're blessed with a company car with a hook on the back) and accommodation can be a big chunk of the racing budget so make sure it's all in the sums.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2440466)   #8
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm starting off my racing "career" in historics as well. Don't forget to take advantage of the HSCC's very generous novice membership discount. £150 off my first race is very helpful indeed..it's essentially paid for my first and only test session.

As far as money goes with regards to food, accommodation etc. etc., you could always take a leaf out of my book...Homemade sandwiches for lunch and if we need to sleep anywhere overnight, a tent and a sleeping bag in the paddock will do just nicely.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2446391)   #9
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although with full grids it hardly needs the promoting, the Classic Sports Car Club has a class in its Swinging Sixties series for cars running on Dunlop Historic tyres which is almost exclusively restricted to FIA cars ( why else would you choose histos over yokos) and as can been seen from the write ups on the Snetterton & Anglesey meetings have incredibly varied grids with good clean racing & 40 minute races to maximise seat time. I can heartily recommend them.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2493524)   #10
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Well I did it and I do now own an FIA spec MGB, once owned by Jim Lowry (GKX 359C), just waiting for the papers to come through. Thanks for your tips.

So, CSCC Swinging Sixties looks like a good bet then Mike? Looks like that or HSCC....
Old 29 Jun 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2493558)   #11
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
So, CSCC Swinging Sixties looks like a good bet then Mike? Looks like that or HSCC....
And you are allowed to run once as a Guest/Invitee in Swinging 60s without registering, so perhaps get a race in this year (much more fun than a track day)

Andy
Old 29 Jun 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2493605)   #12
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heartily recommend the CSCC. Always a friendly bunch and there are always very varied grids meaning that whatever pace you run at you are guaranteed to have someone to race against. Also offer some great race meetings if you want to go further afield. We're off to Spa on Thursday with the CSCC and have visited Nurburgring and Daytona with them. Good luck with whatever you choose to do but let us know if you're at a CSCC meeting and I'll come and say hello!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2493688)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in terms of costs if you cannot self prep you should assume £1000 per weekend. This will include an ammortisation of the bigger costs like tyres.
I woudl also strongly advise making sure you have help at least for the first few races.....
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2493689)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What he said.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2493749)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So it's only my spelling that you correct, Peter?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2493755)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as a dyslexic he would have a ful time job correcting mine!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2493791)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm not dixlecsyk.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2493811)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A tip for when starting out in classic's,Dont drive your car back to the pit's without a fan belt cos the pistons dont like it
Old 30 Jun 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2493822)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
And you are allowed to run once as a Guest/Invitee in Swinging 60s without registering, so perhaps get a race in this year (much more fun than a track day)

Andy
Andy, I am fairly sure that you can. You might have to pay the joining fee, though (£35). Ring the CSCC office and ask (have a look on the clubs website for contact details); most of them may be off to Spa on thursday, though.

Races left include: Silverstone, Cadwell Park, Snetterton & I think that there's an invite to a race at the Nurburgring, too.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2498660)   #20
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Thanks chaps!

Better get my finger out!
Old 9 Jul 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2498676)   #21
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the CSCC a ring at......

Telephone : 0844 884 3260 | Fax 01225 781 777

Ask for Hugo - he will be able to give you all the info you need. You can race with the club without having to join by way of a "toe in the water." Friendly bunch with good racing, mixed grids and international opportunities! Give it a try.

Cheers

Dave