Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Feb 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2640916)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FIA / F1 Safety Car regs 2010

[This probably has a place in the F1, V8, FF and Trackside forums aswell!]

Claire Williams from Williams F1 just put out on Twitter:

Quote:
All the drivers ran safety car practice runs just before lunch. They have to meet a certain time that is transmitted to their dash. Clever.
Slow on the uptake as I am... it just struck me that if the drivers are gazing lovingly at their steering wheels, ensuring they don't exceed (or drop under) the proscribed time for that sector of track as defined by the FIA (or CoC, as appropriate), then they're even less likely to be watching out for us.

Is it just me, or should F1 (and series below it) just forsake technology for the hell of it and go back to a decent system where drivers actually get punished - points deductions, maybe - for acting like blind uncaring eejits?

Loathe as I am to think this, the prospect of the US-style full course yellow for everything has to be preferable to having drivers staring at instruments.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2640956)   #2
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this in addition to the "flag" lights on the dashboard? I don't like the sounds of those and the sound of a driver paying more attention to his dashboard to set a time is even more worrying!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2641071)   #3
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't they have something like this last year, relating to pitting as the safety car came out. I think once the boards and lights showed safety car, they where penalised if they took quicker than a given time to reach the pits.

I think it was to remove the risk of drivers running out of fuel when the pit lane was closed while the queue built up around behind the safety car.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2641119)   #4
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

well if the drivers don't like the safty car coming out they can always
just do this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYO4yPmf5AI
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2641135)   #5
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
Bet that was one hell of write up job!!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2641233)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
See similar discussion in Aussie forum. Driver's need to learn SC means slow down straight away, there's probably a good reason.

Actually, they just need to learn we don't just wave the yellow because it smelled a bit musty, if you obey it, we won't need the Safety Car.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2641503)   #7
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US full course yellow still gives the drivers the oportunity to drive at speed if not in the crocodile. I prefer the Dutch "Code 60" flag, which is self policing using the timing computer and ensures everyone is at 60kph within one sector of the flag being displayed.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2641573)   #8
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
worked very well at Dubai 24-hr race, especially pre-dawn when sweeper was required to assist clearing track after Porsche oil spill and consequent BBQ.

Last edited by Bryan Degerlund; 27 Feb 2010 at 16:31.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2641582)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very simple answer to this..................

during their test days (which all major championships have), put the drivers on the track alongside a parked car, with waved yellows, and let us marshals drive at them in our road cars.

We're neither fast enough to scare them or good enough to avoid them so.......

sounds like a true wake-up call for all these so-called experts as to just how frightening it can be to be "out-there" helping them.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2641588)   #10
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2641589)   #11
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
If you look at the video from the drivers point of view he couldn't see the safety car till he hit it.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2641618)   #12
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm - and if the reason for the safety car deployment had been a broken car at that point in the circuit???????
Old 27 Feb 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2641632)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Hmmm - and if the reason for the safety car deployment had been a broken car at that point in the circuit???????
Although I see your point; in the case of the incident at Pau I seem to remember that the safety car left the pits and immediately joined the racing line without any signficant acceleration. As such this differed from the normal practice of the safety car staying to the side of the track until sufficent momentum has gained and it can join the racing line in the most visible manner. Of course the debate over what speeds racing cars should be circulating at under yellow flags remains.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2641970)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
If you look at the video from the drivers point of view he couldn't see the safety car till he hit it.
But he could see the yellow flags and SC boards... I know the SC was in the wrong place, but you'd have thought they'd have given him a clue. I've said before, he could just as easily have come round the corner to find crashed cars and a road full of marshals.

However, that's off topic, the thread exists if anyone wants to continue that discussion
Old 28 Feb 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2641973)   #15
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But he could see the yellow flags and SC boards... I know the SC was in the wrong place, but you'd have thought they'd have given him a clue. I've said before, he could just as easily have come round the corner to find crashed cars and a road full of marshals.

However, that's off topic, the thread exists if anyone wants to continue that discussion
The safety car driver was found to be a fault for this one. Although the baords had (only just) gone out he hadn't been given the green light to leave the pits. Telemetry afterwards show Engstler had started to slow down for the yellows and I can't imagine he'd have been expecting anything to come out the pit lane at that point. If the incident had been round that corner, I imagine there would have been double waved yellows at the previous post.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2642015)   #16
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2642181)   #17
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read her message to mean that they were testing to see how the cars behave under safety car conditions, not that drivers would have to clock watch in races.
This is obviously something that would need to be coordinated between teams at testing days, otherwise there would be chaos if one driver was doing SC speeds with others at full speed. Hence them doing it all at the same time.
Seeing as test sessions are red flagged for even the tiniest thing, I don't see it as dangerous as marshals will never be on a live track.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2642625)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alec View Post
This is obviously something that would need to be coordinated between teams at testing days, otherwise there would be chaos if one driver was doing SC speeds with others at full speed.
What, you mean like during a race meeting?!

i like the Dutch 60 rule, just waiting for the powers that be to see that too. I won't hold my breath tho...
Old 1 Mar 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2642648)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
The safety car driver was found to be a fault for this one. Although the baords had (only just) gone out he hadn't been given the green light to leave the pits. Telemetry afterwards show Engstler had started to slow down for the yellows and I can't imagine he'd have been expecting anything to come out the pit lane at that point. If the incident had been round that corner, I imagine there would have been double waved yellows at the previous post.
I realize all of that. I do know the SC driver was judged to be at fault according to the investigation, however, Engstler had seen two boards before the start line and at least one after it as evidenced by the video (and I think he admitted as such), and if you're putting out SC boards then they over-ride the local yellows anyway. In theory, you don't need waved yellows in addition because they're going slowly under SC conditions...

TBH, I'm not really bothered about what he would be expecting around the corner, obeying the flags fully would have meant he was in a position to react to the unexpected. Started to slow suggests not much had changed - just how far round the lap was he intending to go before slowing down sufficiently?

We've moved to SC because drivers didn't observe the yellows, and we're constantly tweaking the SC rules because they don't behave properly even then. I'd venture to suggest the rules are not the problem, enforcement is.

Remember Trulli received no penalty for going off track behind the SC in Melbourne while Hamilton was crucified for being economical with the truth to the Stewards. That tells you how much the FIA values their self-importance over the safety of the marshals, and indicates just how likely they are to actually understand the problem they're supposed to be solving.