Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3047491)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the rule on....

Webber is 4th, Kimi is 5th. Both are .242 seconds from the top (or in other words both have identical lap times). How is it determined who takes the top spot out of the two? Just askin...
Old 24 Mar 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3047495)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The driver who sets the time first is credited with the higher grid slot.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3047509)   #3
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks. I don't ever remember the top two having identical times in qualifying. I remember it being down to .002 one time.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3047512)   #4
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Thanks. I don't ever remember the top two having identical times in qualifying. I remember it being down to .002 one time.
At Jerez in 97 the top three on the grid-Villeneuve, Schumi and Frentzen-all qualified with the same time. In a title decider it was class!
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3047513)   #5
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello and Hulkenbergvset identical times in a quali session in 2010.

And there was if course the famous 3 way tie for pole at Jerez '97
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3047515)   #6
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Frentzen set an identical time to someone else for pole once. 1997 European GP springs to mind.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3047516)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
jinx it happened in gp3 i think in 2010 too. pretty amazing when you think about how long the lap is, how different the cars are and how different the drivers are!
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3047518)   #8
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not qualifying... But here's an awesome 7-way tie for the fastest lap

http://statsf1.com/en/1954/grande-br...leur-tour.aspx
Old 24 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3047519)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
At Jerez in 97 the top three on the grid-Villeneuve, Schumi and Frentzen-all qualified with the same time. In a title decider it was class!
It is rumoured that the qualifying times were faked. It was said the Williams mechanics noticed that after analysing their own data and footages.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3047547)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
That Bernie Ecclestone! Sometimes he really cracks me up!
Old 24 Mar 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3047558)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It is rumoured that the qualifying times were faked. It was said the Williams mechanics noticed that after analysing their own data and footages.
Uhn... actually times are hard to define as true.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3047589)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It would be rumoured that it was fixed if it wasn't. The human mind, specifically the slighty dim human mind, can't comprehend coincidence.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3047597)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is rumored that JV was actually the stig. All we know is: it was a damned close thing.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3047598)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Uhn... actually times are hard to define as true.
E=mc2 *slips back into parallel universe*
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3047617)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Did anything much happen while I was away? Which reminds me. Don't forget to make sure that you travel forwards in time, tonight (2.00 BST).
Old 24 Mar 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3047684)   #16
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Funny I don't remember the 3 way tie in 97 and I watched it all! Maybe I was half asleep since the race would have been on at around 3am.

With the closeness of the grid this year, I wouldn't be surprised if ties would happen this season.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3047968)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A Trichlorostyrene View Post
Not qualifying... But here's an awesome 7-way tie for the fastest lap

http://statsf1.com/en/1954/grande-br...leur-tour.aspx
True, but it was only measured to a second.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3047980)   #18
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad thing for me in 1997 was that Damon Hill, in one of his feats in the Arrows, qualified 0.01 off pole (think thats right) - but started 4th with the 3-way tie at the front!

Its barely even a coincidence - we all know some sessions are close to a few tenths (one reason for the name of this forum!), and how many dead-heat examples can we come up from from 60 years of the world driver's championship?! Its more odd it hasn't happened more often!
Old 4 May 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3069524)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Funny I don't remember the 3 way tie in 97 and I watched it all! Maybe I was half asleep since the race would have been on at around 3am.

With the closeness of the grid this year, I wouldn't be surprised if ties would happen this season.
Not in a competitive environment, but it has happened in testing http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17931029
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99297