Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 30 Jun 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2494117)   #1
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel Islands change in reciprocal health care arrangements

Something really mundane and boring that I spotted in a recent RYA Newsletter.

If you're travelling to the Channel Islands for the Championship rounds in July be aware that the Health care agreement with the UK changed on the 1st April 2009.

Message from the Dept of Health.
"UK visitors to the Channel Islands (and Channel Islands visitors to the UK) will no longer be entitled to the limited medical treatments that were previously available free of charge under the bilateral healthcare agreement.

Anyone planning a trip to the Channel Islands (which include Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Herm and Sark) should consider how they would meet the associated expenses were they to be take ill whilst away. Travel Insurance or another form of health insurance cover is recommended by the Department of Health for such trips.

Questions relating to the end of the reciprocal health agreement with the Channel Islands should be directed to the Department of Health Customer Service Centre on 0207 210 4850 or e-mail
dhmail@dh.gsi.gov.uk".

So I guess the message is Check your travel insurance!

Regards,

Jim
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2494727)   #2
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We knew this but am struggling to understand why... anyway we shall see why i am sure at a point...

It is crazy that someone who has lived on the island for 19 years and still has family there has to pay £50 for a drs appointment.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2494746)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006 View Post
It is crazy that someone who has lived on the island for 19 years and still has family there has to pay £50 for a drs appointment.
€50 a time for a GP appointment here in Ireland, unless you qualify for a medical card and even long-term conditions like diabetes don't qualify you automatically.

Oh, and that's per-visit, so a "and come back in 2 weeks and we'll see" is another €50.

Here's a true story.....

"My shoulder is painful and my movement is stiff" "Ok, take these anti-inflamatories and we'll see" *katchiinnnng*
"Anti-inflamatories aren't working, seems to be getting stiffer" "Ok, here's the address of a physio-therapist" *katchiinnng*

(Several €60 sessions of physio later, where he recommends getting a consultant to look at it, and I find a private consultant with a free appointment)

"My physio thinks I need to see a consultant" "Ok, I'll write you a referal letter" (Took about 5 minutes) *katchiiinnnggg*

(Couple of €80 consultant sessions, €450 for a MUA and another €80 session where he says "Ok, seems to have loosened up a bit, go back to work", consultant tells me I have to see the GP for the relevant "sick note" paperwork)

"I've been off work for 3 weeks recovering from a MUA" "Ok, I'll do the work absence paperwork" (Another 10 minutes) *katchiiiinnngggg*

So, count the katchiiinnngggs and see how being a GP in Ireland is a rather nice little earner.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2494987)   #4
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006 View Post
We knew this but am struggling to understand why... anyway we shall see why i am sure at a point...

Snap - I'm in the same position as Mudge.

What's worse is if you are competing your travel insurance goes through the roof!

If anything goes worng take me to the airport and let them sort if out in Southampton!! (Or at least to the other end of the island and I'll claim I tripped!!)
Old 5 Jul 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2496251)   #5
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I like it... I will print this off and take it with me... hehehehany preference on who you fly with?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2497038)   #6
Perksy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pershore
Perksy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop Whingeing

...or alternatively you could say what a wonderful job those English GPs do, free of charge at the point of delivery. I hadn't realised what good value it all is.
One problem with the NHS is that simply because its free, it is undervalued for what it is. Lets look on the positive glass half-full side and be grateful for what we have got.
And check your travel insurance if you go anywhere where they speak in a funny accent.
Chris
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2497221)   #7
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
We could do... the nationals get a free service, but us visiting don't xxx
Old 8 Jul 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2497825)   #8
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perksy View Post
And check your travel insurance if you go anywhere where they speak in a funny accent.
Chris
Funny accent? you must be thinking of Harewood not us Guerns!