Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jul 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3429298)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not resume all of the houses around the circuit and convert it to a permanent race track? Run all year round events!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Jul 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3429317)   #27
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Why not resume all of the houses around the circuit and convert it to a permanent race track? Run all year round events!
Because that would massively **** off the local residents and hotel guests. No one really cares about the noise at the moment because it is only 3 weekends a year, although if there is stuff happening every weekend then they probably will get ****ed off after a few months.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 05:34 (Ref:3429319)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
Because that would massively **** off the local residents and hotel guests. No one really cares about the noise at the moment because it is only 3 weekends a year, although if there is stuff happening every weekend then they probably will get ****ed off after a few months.
The hotel is on the race track... so noise should be expected..

As for the other... just keep resuming property till it goes away as an issue
Old 2 Jul 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3429324)   #29
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is actually a public road and as such is able to attract govt. funding to a certain degree for repairs and maintenance-once it ceases to be a public road(and a tourist drive/attraction) such assistance may not be available to the BRC.
Part of the attraction of the circuit is that is public roadways and I believe that the cost of upkeep would be higher when closed rather than it is currently.

Not only do a substantial number of people reside immediately around the track it provides access to the parklands and the Fauna Reserve behind Skyline.
The noise aspect is something that is accepted by locals currently however any escalation would most likely cause concern-the noise carries down from the track and can be heard downtown at the best of times.

I would love to see the place utilised a lot more however the Mount Panorama Act would prevent that as it limits the usage to what it is currently.
Noise will be something that has to be taken into account when the proposed 2nd circuit evolves. We have all seen the problems noise has allegedly caused to surrounding areas of many existing Australian tracks and it is a real political issue for Councils and Governments.
Any escalation or intensification of the usage has to be balanced with the amenity of the existing area.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3429341)   #30
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Mr McKay, but it seems that the discussion has steered clear of you. Lost interest perhaps! You're only a journo.
On the govt spending on circuits issue, our Qld mob (Ipwich city and state) have both stated how valuable the V8SC race at QR is to the local economy and both verbally back the race, but there doesn't seem to be much money from either of them tipped into improving the third world facilities at the track. I still think that QR could be built into a top class circuit, but it would mean big$ from the govt to do it.
Will we see it? Probably not, but they continue to kick in for the Townsville and Gold Coast events.
Maybe that's the message! Townsville and Gold Coast are more important than poor old Ipswich.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3429342)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Sorry Mr McKay, but it seems that the discussion has steered clear of you. Lost interest perhaps! You're only a journo.
On the govt spending on circuits issue, our Qld mob (Ipwich city and state) have both stated how valuable the V8SC race at QR is to the local economy and both verbally back the race, but there doesn't seem to be much money from either of them tipped into improving the third world facilities at the track. I still think that QR could be built into a top class circuit, but it would mean big$ from the govt to do it.
Will we see it? Probably not, but they continue to kick in for the Townsville and Gold Coast events.
Maybe that's the message! Townsville and Gold Coast are more important than poor old Ipswich.
compare the crowds between the three and more importantly the visitors
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:41 (Ref:3429346)   #32
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely part of the allure and mystique of Mt Panorama is the fact that it is only used very few times a year. The same was true until the last decade or two at Indianapolis.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3429545)   #33
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Surely part of the allure and mystique of Mt Panorama is the fact that it is only used very few times a year. The same was true until the last decade or two at Indianapolis.

Yeah this.

You make a good point. Less is more. If it's only used for three weekends a year then those weekends are very much looked forward to because of the limit. It's kind of like Le Mans which also uses public roads-but not fully like Bathurst does.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3429662)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I wonder if TC realised that and that's why V8SCs don't race there twice
Old 2 Jul 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3429670)   #35
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I wonder if TC realised that and that's why V8SCs don't race there twice
When he turned up he was threatening to not even race there once. So I don't think he understood the allure, mystique or significance of the circuit straight away.

He got there eventually though, and provided the most sincere and explicit mea culpa he ever gave in his whole time at V8s

As far as deciding not to run twice, there were still people around who remembered the failed attempts at having ATCC sprint rounds there in the mid 90s. Plus nobody was going to pay his show to race there a second time, so it was never going to be a consideration.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3429676)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
compare the crowds between the three and more importantly the visitors
Chicken or the egg? How would Qld Raceway compare in terms of crowds if investment was put in to the circuit and the facilities - like Townsville or Gold Coast.

Why visitors pecky? I recall from previous discussions that apparently with EIA it didnt matter where the punters originated from?
Old 3 Jul 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3429700)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Chicken or the egg? How would Qld Raceway compare in terms of crowds if investment was put in to the circuit and the facilities - like Townsville or Gold Coast.

Why visitors pecky? I recall from previous discussions that apparently with EIA it didnt matter where the punters originated from?
You know the answer to the first question so im not going to bother. if you need help compare SMP to homebush. both have had significant government funding in recent years

I would always consider that visitors from interstate are important to state funded events, however in the case of Townsville and GC, with significant local government funding, visitors from elsewhere in QLD are important also
Old 3 Jul 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3429717)   #38
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SMSP is owned by the NSW Government and leased to the ARDC thus they have a vested interest in how the place is kept/improved. The venue is used for a wide variety of non motor sport related activities including school athletics/cross country, music shows, cycling including Olympic Games 2000, charity events, mud plugger, static display/trade shows etc.
The Homebush Taxpayer 500 is like the other street circuits in that it is an arrangement with the respective State Govt and other authorities for the running of an event.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:04 (Ref:3675643)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Still can't let go of the hatred for Tony Cochrane

Story Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, talking about Mr Tander's departure from WP

For me the decision is a bit like seeing Tony Cochrane drive over a cliff with one of my good mates – there is an aggravating mix of blessing and regret
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3675646)   #40
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can anyone really blame him?
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:34 (Ref:3675647)   #41
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the roles were reversed here GTR, would you be posting about it here or chuckling about good ol TC's banter?
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3675654)   #42
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about McKay doesn't overlook the bleeding obvious, WP literally could not afford to keep both Tander and Courtney on the payroll.

Might pay to see what sponsors are on Pye's car...
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3675656)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
If the roles were reversed here GTR, would you be posting about it here or chuckling about good ol TC's banter?
Do you wish him dead? Or at least show pleasure at that possibility?
Old 28 Sep 2016, 08:53 (Ref:3675657)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
and people say he is better than James Phelps- Just a Bitter old man with nothing left to give
Old 28 Sep 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3675680)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone really blame him?
Quote:
Both TC & PMc behaved quite poorly towards each other - most likely a chemistry thing I guess. Neither can claim moral high ground and neither can be held completely to blame either.

It was a great shame that neither had the self-restraint nor class to keep their mutual antipathy out of the public eye - the behaviour does not reflect well on either of them.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3675682)   #46
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Do you wish him dead? Or at least show pleasure at that possibility?
Not at all. Not sure where from my post you get that idea from?

I think if you take the context of the article - nor does Mr McKay.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3676227)   #47
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a huge fan of either party, but McKay comes across as being a big desperate, still bitter about backing the losing side in the 2 litre vs 5 litre war that was run and won over 15 years ago. Time to build a bridge.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3676230)   #48
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Not a huge fan of either party, but McKay comes across as being a big desperate, still bitter about backing the losing side in the 2 litre vs 5 litre war that was run and won over 15 years ago. Time to build a bridge.
While McKay certainly raced a 2 litre car, he was hardly that pro-2ltr , and I never saw him taking their side.

His column in the Sun-Herald in Sydney was every bit as critical and scathing of the 1998 and 1999 2ltr Bathurst's as you saw anywhere.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3676236)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
While McKay certainly raced a 2 litre car, he was hardly that pro-2ltr , and I never saw him taking their side.

His column in the Sun-Herald in Sydney was every bit as critical and scathing of the 1998 and 1999 2ltr Bathurst's as you saw anywhere.
and of 97? because that was the important year
Old 1 Oct 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3676243)   #50
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was all a long time ago, but seem to recall that he did used to push the 2 litre barrow, or maybe it was pining for a return to Group A? But was certainly anti V8, endless references to dinosaurs etc. 1999 was a joke, IIRC it was only scheduled to run over 500km and ended up being rain shortened anyway with the field bolstered by production cars.