Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Sep 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3671790)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
some of the retro cars that will be on show on the weekend
Old 12 Sep 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3671796)   #52
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is it mandatory by Supercars that all teams must be in retro scheme for this wend?
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 12 Sep 2016, 04:37 (Ref:3671797)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Is it mandatory by Supercars that all teams must be in retro scheme for this wend?
No.

Quote:
Eleven of the 26 cars will race in retro-themed liveries recalling colour schemes used by associated teams, sponsors or manufacturers as far back as the 1960s.
Supercars go retro at they look to the future at Sandown

of course some teams may have changed their plans since last weekend
Old 12 Sep 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3671798)   #54
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Thanks peckstar
Old 13 Sep 2016, 05:38 (Ref:3672030)   #55
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good list of cars on display. Would really like to be there for this one.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3672057)   #56
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with the release of the Dale Wood & Nick Percat "retro" liveries today, we are celebrating the look and feel of the touring car eras of the 60s, 70s and 80s with.....

NASCAR liveries
AUSCAR liveries
Speedway liveries
Indycar liveries
Post-Y2K liveries
Fictional old liveries
normal 2016 liveries...
....and how many liveries actually adapted from the 60s, 70s & 80s touring cars? Lowndes/Richards...and who else am I missing?
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3672108)   #57
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
ITS STILL FUN WHO CARES.

You just always gotta find anything to complain about.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3672206)   #58
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
ITS STILL FUN WHO CARES.

You just always gotta find anything to complain about.
for mine, its seems not so much complaining, just pointing out that the "heritage" link is a rather tenuous one, and much of what they're purporting as celebrating the rich history of the category is a fiction.

And rewriting history for "fun" or to suit one's own agenda is villainous.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3672231)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
for mine, its seems not so much complaining, just pointing out that the "heritage" link is a rather tenuous one, and much of what they're purporting as celebrating the rich history of the category is a fiction.

And rewriting history for "fun" or to suit one's own agenda is villainous.
so what you are saying is that you had an expectation that may not have been the intention of the promoters

Quote:
The September 18 Sandown 500 is the last under the existing agreement and in anticipation of an extended deal, V8 officials want to emphasise the event's heritage by adopting a retro theme. Similar to the AFL's heritage rounds, V8 Supercars wants the teams to turn out in classic colours in what would become an annual history-themed event, with cars and team kit reflecting past glories.
Sandown 500 to become 'retro round' in nod to history

Think they have achieved that goal, but if someone thought that meant they would all come out in a retro ATCC liveries then they had drawn the wrong conclusion

The retro round is more to do with the feel at the event than the liveries
Old 14 Sep 2016, 00:11 (Ref:3672250)   #60
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
whos rewriting history?
Old 14 Sep 2016, 05:32 (Ref:3672263)   #61
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will the weather be like at Sandown this weekend.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 06:01 (Ref:3672268)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
What will the weather be like at Sandown this weekend.
Its been raining in Melbourne all week so far....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Sep 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3672277)   #63
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
so what you are saying is that you had an expectation that may not have been the intention of the promoters

Think they have achieved that goal, but if someone thought that meant they would all come out in a retro ATCC liveries then they had drawn the wrong conclusion

Um, Supercars themselves were the one's who had the intention of "retro round" being about Australian touring car racing from the 60s, 70s and 80s

http://www.supercars.com/sandown/whats-on/retro-round/

Quote:
2016 will be the 47th time Sandown Raceway will host an Australian Touring Car/Supercars event – the most of any venue.

Supercars will be celebrating this by promoting the 2016 Wilson Security Sandown 500 as a ‘Retro Round’, with a view to bringing back the look and feel of the touring car eras of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Supercars teams and sponsors are supporting this initiative through activating historic car liveries, retro team uniforms and one-off merchandising opportunities. Make sure to come down and check it all out!
Seems to me that the car liveries were an integral part of the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
whos rewriting history?
Supercars every year since 1997?

They didn't want a bar of anything pre-1997 for the first decade of their existence, now they see they can make a $$$ from Australia's touring car history, they've jumped right on the bandwagon over the last 6-7 odd years....
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:16 (Ref:3672288)   #64
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Volvo goes 1986.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/09/14/...s-for-sandown/
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3672289)   #65
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post

God I wish they could race with those wheel covers on.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3672290)   #66
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
God I wish they could race with those wheel covers on.
I thought exactly the same thing.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 09:28 (Ref:3672294)   #67
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Here's another vote for those wheel covers
Old 14 Sep 2016, 10:12 (Ref:3672297)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is the YouTube video of the reveal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX0_MYjSYYo

Now I suggest you pay close attention to the band playing at the end, and very particularly the line of lyrics right at the very end...

Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist but I work on the trade and this has been very carefully edited...
Old 14 Sep 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3672300)   #69
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current situation surrounding GRM and Volvo makes the '86 team appear positively sane.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3672302)   #70
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Now I suggest you pay close attention to the band playing at the end, and very particularly the line of lyrics right at the very end...

Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist but I work on the trade and this has been very carefully edited...
Picked up on it immediately.

GRM wins this from the paint scheme perspective.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3672303)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Ouch!

Still apart from the acting was a nostalgic watch,

Thanks for linking
Old 14 Sep 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3672341)   #72
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Um, Supercars themselves were the one's who had the intention of "retro round" being about Australian touring car racing from the 60s, 70s and 80s

http://www.supercars.com/sandown/whats-on/retro-round/

Seems to me that the car liveries were an integral part of the idea!

Supercars every year since 1997?

They didn't want a bar of anything pre-1997 for the first decade of their existence, now they see they can make a $$$ from Australia's touring car history, they've jumped right on the bandwagon over the last 6-7 odd years....

Anyway, here's two concepts for HRT that were voted against. They would have looked great.
http://www.motorsport365.org/rejecte...epts-revealed/
Old 14 Sep 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3672378)   #73
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Um, Supercars themselves were the one's who had the intention of "retro round" being about Australian touring car racing from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
So some teams have gone outside the original parameters. Who cares, it's meant to be a bit of fun, not an accurate reflection of history. Congrats to those teams that have got involved.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3672392)   #74
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
[VASC16R24] Wilson Security Sandown 500:16-18Sep

Quote:

Holy moly...wow that's a burn

Liked the vid the half ass acting actually makes it funnier
Old 14 Sep 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3672398)   #75
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

peckstar, I'm not saying anything of the sort, and putting words in the mouths of others doesn't behove you at all. I have no expectations at all regarding the promoters or the category, other than they'll do whatever it takes to maximise their piece of the action, by arresting the punters' intelligence for long enough to pick their pockets.