Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 9 Jun 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1630684)   #1
Tony Crossley
Rookie

Tony Crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello snappers!

Hello there, was anyone at the MGCC meeting at Oulton park Last Saturday. I'm trying to find pictures of car 42 (Blue with white stripes MGB GT) that was in the Cockshoot race (until the engine failed anyway).

I know there were a few snappers as I could see them working away as I drove around.

Daft question, but the organisers must know which photographers are coming so why can't them stick the info in the program or at least hand something to the drivers at signing on. It can be a real struggle to locate who was taking pictures sometimes.
Anyway!!!! Thanks all for any help.

Tony
Old 9 Jun 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1630695)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The organisers won't necessarily know who is in attendance as the majority of regular photographers will be on season passes of one description or another. In any case, it is normally the circuit, and not the club, that take control of media accreditation.

I'm not sure why drivers should be made aware who is taking photographs anyway. Photographers are accredited to take photographs for media organisations and not (normally) for the commercial business of selling to competitors (or similar). Indeed, photographers in most cases should not be selling images as it breaches the conditions they agree to when they sign on.

Anyway, I know that Rachel Bourne was there - www.bournephoto.co.uk - although she hasn't put the images on her site as yet.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1630700)   #3
Tony Crossley
Rookie

Tony Crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, as there often people trying to sell on photos from previous meets.
Thanks for the link though

Tony
Old 9 Jun 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1630750)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crossley
Interesting, as there often people trying to sell on photos from previous meets.
Thanks for the link though
Tony
in retrospect its not worth the gripe so I removed it

Last edited by PaulSands; 9 Jun 2006 at 18:33.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1630999)   #5
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
in retrospect its not worth the gripe so I removed it

was it something along the lines of... "well there are often drivers approaching photographers to buy pics, which isn't quite the same thing"

i could be miles off
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1631740)   #6
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony, I saw Rachel on Saturday and told her you were seeking piccies. If you remember I sorted some out for you last season, but I was at Croft the weekend you were at Oulton, snapping Legends and Pickups.

MSV, or any circuit for that matter, don't know which photographers will be there in advance (unless it is BSB, A1GP, or a similar event who accredit the photographers). The easiest thing to do is ring the press office and they can check the sign-in sheet for you.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1631742)   #7
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I'm not sure why drivers should be made aware who is taking photographs anyway. Photographers are accredited to take photographs for media organisations and not (normally) for the commercial business of selling to competitors (or similar). Indeed, photographers in most cases should not be selling images as it breaches the conditions they agree to when they sign on.

Anyway, I know that Rachel Bourne was there - www.bournephoto.co.uk - although she hasn't put the images on her site as yet.
Rachel Bourne appears to selling photos via her web site as do the majority of photographers trackside i.e. Ken. I can see where you coming from but how else will drivers get photos for themselves, press releases or sponsors etc? (Spectators cant supply them photos either).
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1631755)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry I cant hold back. It sucks because if you try to play by the rules motor sport can never form a reasonable part of your income. Some photographers blatantly hawk their wares around the circuits while at the same time you hear of others being find or asked for a licence fee to do the same. Its not a level playing field. I really dont know why everybody involved should be quite so protective. Yes of course they need to control who goes trackside but they do that anyway so what happens with those images shouldnt concern them, so long as they arent being posted on anti MSV or Mallory sites I suppose
Old 11 Jun 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1631900)   #9
KennyG
Racer

I have circuits refer drivers to me as they realise it is necessary. They don't expect me to give the pictures away either. I am not prepared to go further than that here.

Togs hawking their wares from awning to awning while other traders have to pay for their space is an understandable issue, and I can see why it should be controlled. Some drivers have stopped buying pictures alltogether because they were hounded by packs of togs at every meeting they went to. That is a problem that can only be addressed by a more professional business approach, or the circuits will get even tougher. The answer is in our hands, as is the blame.

At the rate the top two UK weekly rags pay for images, you couldn't cover your petrol costs to go to most meetings, never mind try to make a living out of it. With so little being in the pot is it any wonder people get protective about what they have. Add to that a long queue of people prepared to give their work away for free just to see their name in print and the pot is shrinking fast.

Old 11 Jun 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1631903)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kenny, as I understand it the circuits don't look too favourably on photographers selling photos taken at their circuits to just anybody, including drivers? Unless you are paying a traders fee?

I had a circuit email me warning me about that after a test day, when several drivers wanted to know who the photographer was. Obviously I wasn't trying to sell stuff, otherwise I would've approached the drivers!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1632405)   #11
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sorry I cant hold back. It sucks because if you try to play by the rules motor sport can never form a reasonable part of your income. Some photographers blatantly hawk their wares around the circuits while at the same time you hear of others being find or asked for a licence fee to do the same. Its not a level playing field. I really dont know why everybody involved should be quite so protective. Yes of course they need to control who goes trackside but they do that anyway so what happens with those images shouldnt concern them, so long as they arent being posted on anti MSV or Mallory sites I suppose
I don't understand the circuits' attitude either. It's true to say they don't see any revenue if a photographer sells a photo to a driver privately but I don't suppose they have people falling over themselves to pay a licence if challenged anyway - chances are they'll just stop selling. So other than the Mallory case, does anyone know if anyone pays for such a licence for club events?
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1632431)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Anglesey had an event photgrapher set up in the paddock when I was there at the end of April. I assume they must have paid a fee and it must pay for itself over the year
Old 12 Jun 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1632463)   #13
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anglesey had an event photgrapher set up in the paddock when I was there at the end of April. I assume they must have paid a fee and it must pay for itself over the year
Oh, fair enough then. I've seen them at bike events but not car stuff but then I rarely attend anything other than vintage events.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1632971)   #14
KennyG
Racer

Quote:
It depends on the meeting as to whether it is worth while. Bikes maybe, cars forget it, especially certain championships where there is a vested interest in what is being promoted.

A lot of the 'regulars' from the last few seasons are not doing the rounds this year simply because they would be operating at a loss.

Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1633032)   #15
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They even do the Race Schools there and I'm sure if somebody climbed down onto the beach and collected some crabs to stage races in the Paddock, they'd even snap them.

Crabs - snap them - geddit?
I'll get me coat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG
They don't expect me to give the pictures away either
Which reminds me Ken. My picture hook is already impaled on my office wall waiting to take the weight of 66 Formula Fords
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1633643)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Oh man somebody beat me too it??? All my best plans go to waste, I found this one when I was there and thought I'd got a winner
Old 13 Jun 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1633924)   #17
KennyG
Racer

It would fail scrutineering for the lack of a visible number Paul