Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1631061)   #1
amsurfer
Rookie

amsurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manual or Automatic Cam?

Its very interesting i have been using an automatic Nikon D-200 camera, that i purchased online from www.microglobe.co.uk, result is excellent, but someone advised me to check manual one, and it would return you better result than automatic, i am confused, is it true?? I shot natureā€¦ yea I love cameras for there is a very famous notion about: The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.( Dorothea Lange )
Old 10 Jun 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1631122)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you can go fully manual (exposure and focus) with the D200 if you want. I reccomend giving it a try, there are some shots that I do go fully manual for, and it works well.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1631168)   #3
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm fully manual all the time in pits and paddock because it makes me certain of concentrating on the picture, the content, the focus, the exposure, rather than taking any old rubbish. Also makes adjusting for highlights quicker, for me, than exposure compensation in a Priority mode.

I do use the priorities at the track because light conditions can change rather quickly and frequently. 1/3 stop under exposure compensation helps avoid all but the most extreme blowing out there.

Any SLR camera that has the automatic functions will also let you not use them, even the most basic models, which the D200 is not.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1641471)   #4
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve gradually moved away from predominately relying on priority modes such as shutter or aperture priority to concentrate more on manual. Although changing light conditions can catch you out, there is one of the advantages of chimping! It shouldn’t take too long to find out! Plus manual is also better for the metering of headlights, since the headlights easily confuse a priority mode and you’ll get a under exposed shot.