Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2883312)   #51
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Supercheap Out of Contract this year!

Where to for the Ingall/SuperCheap Package?
In reality what options are available for Ingall and Supercheap - they are looking at podiums and perhaps a top step at that and I doubt that it will happen with PMM , so whom of the major players would take Ingall to get the Supercheap $$ , IMHO Ingall nowdays at best is scratching to get into the top ten when all the fancied players running .
Old 21 May 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2883329)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
In reality what options are available for Ingall and Supercheap - they are looking at podiums and perhaps a top step at that and I doubt that it will happen with PMM , so whom of the major players would take Ingall to get the Supercheap $$ , IMHO Ingall nowdays at best is scratching to get into the top ten when all the fancied players running .
The Speedcafe story quotes Mr Morris directly as saying that SuperCheap's contribution is not enough to fully fund the #39 car.

So... which Holden teams do more with less? And can win? BJR & Kelly Racing spring to mind...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 May 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2883343)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does it Have to be Holden though GTR?

Surely the Kelly Racing Hyundai might be a target
Old 21 May 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2883345)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would doubt Mr Ingall would go back to SBR, FPR seems full (unless Frosty moves to SBR as he should... arguably)... How about replacing Mr Moffat in #18?
Old 21 May 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2883349)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
alternately he could retire and give someone else the sponsor
Old 21 May 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2883353)   #56
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would doubt Mr Ingall would go back to SBR, FPR seems full (unless Frosty moves to SBR as he should... arguably)... How about replacing Mr Moffat in #18?
He's also spent the last few years telling everyone who will listen to him how much more comfortable he is in a Holden over Ford, will they really want him back?

One of the BJR cars would probably be a step up from where he currently is and I'm quite certain that SCA will provide more sponsor dollars than Jana Living
Old 21 May 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2883358)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Old 21 May 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2883405)   #58
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Thats like asking Murphy to retire
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 21 May 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2883469)   #59
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Retirement View Post
If GT was to leave, and some of the supposed rumours of some team owners taking the money and running comes true, I can see TanderSport getting a look in...
Hmm, TanderSport, with Tander and Percat in 888 customer cars?

I can't see the value 888 is getting from PMM these days. Not so stupid as it sounds?

Look how good Coulthard was in the customer 888 FG. Surely someone can do that with a 888 Dunnydore.
Old 21 May 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2883476)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Hmm, TanderSport, with Tander and Percat in 888 customer cars?

I can't see the value 888 is getting from PMM these days. Not so stupid as it sounds?

Look how good Coulthard was in the customer 888 FG. Surely someone can do that with a 888 Dunnydore.
Who would invest in the infrastructure when it is to be superseded just a year later? Racing wise it makes sense, but the tear up would be huge!

Meantime, TanderSport isnt making a great fist of Formula Ford just now either
Old 21 May 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2883484)   #61
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
He's also spent the last few years telling everyone who will listen to him how much more comfortable he is in a Holden over Ford, will they really want him back?
and he's been comfortably near the rear of the grid since his Ford/SBR days. Considering he's never rubbished or burnt a sponsor, I'm sure Ford would be happy to have someone as marketable 'The Enforcer'. Albeit at the right price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Considering how deep Morris's dad's pockets are, I'm tipping Roland's bank account is getting excellent value and that value would be paying for the R&D for the Vodafone cars.

Me thinks PMM will negotiate a new deal with Ingall. Why? I don't think Paul's Cashed Up Bogan charm could ever attract any big name sponsors on his own and no decent (and sane) topshelf driver would ever sign a direct contract with PMM.
Old 21 May 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2883559)   #62
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Tandersport expanding right now into V8SC would be career suicide, much like Jason Bright. You've got enough on ones plate as a driver, why complicate your life with running a sizable business.
Old 22 May 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2884013)   #63
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think Tandersport expanding right now into V8SC would be career suicide, much like Jason Bright. You've got enough on ones plate as a driver, why complicate your life with running a sizable business.
Quite, Mark Skaife was never quite the same driver after he became HRT team owner, ditto Todd Kelly. Sure drivers like Brock, Johnson, Moffat & Seton managed to juggle both, but this was in far simpler times.
Old 22 May 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2884106)   #64
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Quite, Mark Skaife was never quite the same driver after he became HRT team owner, ditto Todd Kelly. Sure drivers like Brock, Johnson, Moffat & Seton managed to juggle both, but this was in far simpler times.
Skaife I think would still be racing full time in V8SC if not being diverted into running that full time business. His career took a sharp decline from then on.

Back in the day I don't think drivers had anywhere near the amount of PR, media and sponsor commitments, not to mention a driver managing his own affairs and fitness. Driving I think is a full time job and I can't imagine running a large race team on top of that. I think it's too much going on to deal with and then have the focus to find tens of a second on a track.
Old 23 May 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2884246)   #65
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RNR keeping their options open for 2012

Quote:
V8 Supercars team owner Rod Nash is keeping his options open as pit lane chat revs up over potential 2012 driver changes.

Nash, owner of the Rod Nash Racing licence that enters Paul Dumbrell in the Ford Performance Racing Bottle-O Falcon, could hold one of the big drawcard drives if Dumbrell decides to retire at the end of this season – an intention he reconfirmed to Speedcafe.com in April.

If Dumbrell does stick to his early retirement plan, the RNR drive becomes one of the hottest seats in town.

Fujitsu Racing’s Lee Holdsworth is one of the early contenders linked to the drive.

Holdsworth’s long-standing deal with Garry Rogers Motorsport expires at the end of the year.

Holdsworth and Toll Holden Racing Team’s Garth Tander appear to be the two biggest names on the out-of-contract list. Tander has stated in the past that his first option to stay with HRT, while some have linked him to a switch to Kelly Racing.

Nash says that if Dumbrell decides to continue driving, the seat is his, but if he’s out, he has some quality options.

“At the moment, Paul is driving the car next year. He has a deal for next year and that’s where it is now,” Nash told Speedcafe.com.

“My options are fairly clear. If Paul wants to drive, he’s on board, but that will be 100 percent Paul’s decision. If he decides it’s time, then there are some good options out there and we’ll certainly be looking at them to match the level of Will (Davison) and Mark (Winterbottom).”

Nash said that he met with Dumbrell recently to discuss his future and that little had changed in his future thoughts.

“We had a meeting during the week and I raised the discussion about future years, and he still made it clear that he is going along, but it just depends how he feels as he goes through the motions,” Nash said.

“He’s always said that if he ever lost the passion, he’d pull the pin, but we’ve still got plenty of the year to go and he’s keeping his options open. That conversation will probably happen again in two months I’d suggest. From a team, point of view, we need to have a driver at the level of FPR.”
Old 23 May 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2884264)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
Mr Nash: "From a team, point of view, we need to have a driver at the level of FPR."
Hmmmm... so Speedy Thexton is a lock?
Old 23 May 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2884841)   #67
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Captain Forklifts want to do with a REC now that he has had the windfall, Fourth FPR car to be run as a Junior team, with Moffat Junior brought back in house? Or if PD does the runner, stick him in the #55 to develop him further?
Old 24 May 2011, 02:16 (Ref:2884884)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
What does Captain Forklifts want to do with a REC now that he has had the windfall, Fourth FPR car to be run as a Junior team, with Moffat Junior brought back in house? Or if PD does the runner, stick him in the #55 to develop him further?
Sell it back to Mr Johnson is the most likely scenario...
Old 24 May 2011, 02:34 (Ref:2884887)   #69
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does it Have to be Holden though GTR?

Surely the Kelly Racing Hyundai might be a target
What makes you think that Hyundai would want to play in V8 Supercars? It would cost them a lot for little return.
Old 24 May 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2884899)   #70
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
What makes you think that Hyundai would want to play in V8 Supercars? It would cost them a lot for little return.
The Kelly boys are die hard Holden/Chevy men, so that chances of them jumping ship are next to zero.

However, don't underestimate the Red Bull factor. Red Bull could finally decide to step to full car sponorship and bring in Toyota, via there association in NASCAR. You might see one side of the garage Toyota and one Holden.
I doubt Renault would make a play, given Nissan's former relationship with the category.
Old 24 May 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2884909)   #71
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Its not just about who has a body that can be made to fit. You need a manufacturer that can afford it, and justify it. They want to sell more cars... not just support racing.
Old 24 May 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2884925)   #72
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
How much do you think it would cost Racenut $1m, $2m $5m $10m or more.

What if a team say Kelly racing grabbed a sponsorship of hyundai (or any other manufacturer) developed the car themselves, remebering under COTF the cars are basically the same, used a holden (chev) motor (which as deno pointed out is there area of expertise) and suddenlly hyundai are racing in a 4 car team for the price of being a sponsor. $2 mill should cover it, based on there current rate of sellling cars, thats about $40 per car sold. not bad avertising plus its helps to build a bit of street creed. (personally i think its a better move for Kia)

Deno, while you maybe right, the kellys are not a holden sponsored team (maybe some minor assitance) in the above example they can still use there holden based knowledge, but pick themselves up a reasonable sponsor at the same time.
Old 24 May 2011, 05:31 (Ref:2884930)   #73
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Quote:
How much do you think it would cost Racenut $1m, $2m $5m $10m or more.

What if a team say Kelly racing grabbed a sponsorship of hyundai (or any other manufacturer) developed the car themselves, remebering under COTF the cars are basically the same, used a holden (chev) motor (which as deno pointed out is there area of expertise) and suddenlly hyundai are racing in a 4 car team for the price of being a sponsor. $2 mill should cover it, based on there current rate of sellling cars, thats about $40 per car sold. not bad avertising plus its helps to build a bit of street creed. (personally i think its a better move for Kia)

Deno, while you maybe right, the kellys are not a holden sponsored team (maybe some minor assitance) in the above example they can still use there holden based knowledge, but pick themselves up a reasonable sponsor at the same time.
I see your point but why would Hyundai sponsor a car that uses a two valve engine, and pushrods when ALL of their road cars are overhead cam? If you look at Hyundai's world website you will see that they are interested in innovation not dinosaurs. If I was at Hyundai I would not get into V8 supercars unless we could use our own engine, which would cost a couple of million to get 'equal' to the current engines.
Old 24 May 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2884932)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
aren't ford and holden doing the same thing though.

the v8's arent about product development they are about brand development.

by hyundai (or whoever) entering the series they get to show of there latest car to a market of people who buy motor vehicles, most of which are not FG falcons or VE commodores. they get to raise awareness of the hyundai brand and they create a bit of exceitment about a brand that has a carry over image of bland or cheap (which is why i think kia might be a better mix)
Old 25 May 2011, 04:59 (Ref:2885556)   #75
V8RYAN
Racer

Australia
SANDOWN
V8RYAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was lucky enough to get a tour of the HRT garage at Winton and they said that it costs about $20mil to run the team each year and that only them, FPR and 888 are spending that kind of $$$.

Peckstar, i agree with you. another manufacturer isnt really going to care about the fact that they cant use their own technology because of pushrod V8s etc. they care about branding and they care about selling cars.

the average punter doesnt know squat about what is under the bonnet of their car, they care about features inside the car, style, reliability and street cred.

if Kia or Hyundai (same company) got involved it means that suddenly they can look 'cool' to a new generation of Aussies who normally are only exposed to Falcons and Commodores. this is a great option for Mazda and Hyundai as they are gaining huge market share here and then other brands who need to make the inroads. Opel is coming and it could also work for Suzuki. Toyota might want to do it simply because they are such a powerhouse, they might as well be represented.

i doubt Mitsubishi would want to do it or Nissan. I could see HSV having a standalone team (why not!!)

i think the teams that would quickly turn to a enw manufacturer would be GRM and SBR, 888 could move but they already doen it once. i couldnt see the Kelly boys changing at all.