Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 Mar 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3720237)   #426
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Looks good! But isn't it too width too for the regulations?
Hard to tell from those pictures, but I don't think the car in the picture...

...looks any wider that the Kristoffersson Motorsport car...

...but the profile is a little different. If I understand the rules correctly they are allowed to add a maximum of 140mm to each wing.

Quote:
The only car I can remember not using a radiator in the boot is the Astra of Evans. I also remember Bardy saying there was no need for it, but one season later it had the radiator in the boot. Wait a minute, maybe Gollops Focus too?
I would think the benefits by far outweigh the disadvantages of moving the radiators to the rear... but I'm sure VW Motorsport would have good reason to disagree if that's what they have done!
Old 20 Mar 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3720239)   #427
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is 10 cm in total, or 5 cm on each side. Never heard of a car being too wide though and thus braking regulations. The rules are the same as the old WRC cars when it comes to the bodywork, could be more open even.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3720246)   #428
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Solberg is a very good driver but a bad livery designer....
Old 20 Mar 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3720256)   #429
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Solberg is a very good driver but a bad livery designer....
I think this looks much better than the DS3 last year. I thought the 2016 DS3 looked like it was rushed out on track before someone had time to finish the livery!

Last edited by tbtstt; 20 Mar 2017 at 18:48.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3720260)   #430
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Hard to tell from those pictures, but I don't think the car in the picture...

...looks any wider that the Kristoffersson Motorsport car...

...but the profile is a little different. If I understand the rules correctly they are allowed to add a maximum of 140mm to each wing.

I would think the benefits by far outweigh the disadvantages of moving the radiators to the rear... but I'm sure VW Motorsport would have good reason to disagree if that's what they have done!

I think you are right, I guess I was confused by the wider WRC 2017 body kit
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3720657)   #431
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be surprised if the actual race car has a front mount radiator, but it is not a good sign that they are showing what looks semi finished this close to the season start.

I also agree with you about the livery. Looks like it was not designed at all.

Both of the drivers and the teams are good though, so I still think these guys will be front runners this season.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3720686)   #432
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
pettersolberg29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
I would be surprised if the actual race car has a front mount radiator, but it is not a good sign that they are showing what looks semi finished this close to the season start.

I also agree with you about the livery. Looks like it was not designed at all.

Both of the drivers and the teams are good though, so I still think these guys will be front runners this season.
The car isn't finished yet, but not in a bad way - the current car is already performing exactly as Petter wants and the speed in the tests has been incredible...!
Old 22 Mar 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3720773)   #433
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Did Solberg design the livery though? It reminds me of the liveries of VW in WRC and Scott Speed's former Beetle livery in GRC.

Have you seen Ford Perfomance "Designed for Performance" about the Focus RX? It feels ridiculous to watch this and think of how things usually goes in a privateer rallycross team and of how things used to be in rallycross. It truly is a manufacture effort.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3720774)   #434
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettersolberg29 View Post
The car isn't finished yet, but not in a bad way - the current car is already performing exactly as Petter wants and the speed in the tests has been incredible...!

Anymore info? Is it a front mounted radiator?
Old 22 Mar 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3720785)   #435
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Did Solberg design the livery though? It reminds me of the liveries of VW in WRC and Scott Speed's former Beetle livery in GRC.
Solberg's team did, yes - joint effort between his team and VW. Obviously big sponsors like Monster, Luna and Bauhaus needed to have prominent logos and matching that with Petter, VW and Johan's style wasn't easy. Personally think the livery is great this year though!

Quote:
Anymore info? Is it a front mounted radiator?
Can't confirm on the radiator, but the car will be different come Barcelona. More tests this week. One thing noticeable is that Petter's style has had to change - the chassis is more rigid and planted, and far less nimble than the DS3. However test times have gone down so it doesn't seem to be having a negative impact!
Old 23 Mar 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3720840)   #436
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
Yeah, it would be a bold move if they have deviated from the usual design standard!

I see Petter has a new website now (www.psrxvw.com), which includes a page for the Polo...

http://www.psrxvw.com/volkswagen-polo-gti-rx-supercar

...however the information on there is, predictably, rather limited. It does confirm that the new car is transverse though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Have you seen Ford Perfomance "Designed for Performance" about the Focus RX? It feels ridiculous to watch this and think of how things usually goes in a privateer rallycross team and of how things used to be in rallycross. It truly is a manufacture effort.
Yeah. It's a good video (it's here for any one who has missed it) and shows just how much development went into that car in such a short space of time. Pretty interesting to hear how the development was taking place in two time zones as well.

As you say, it's a far cry from some privateer efforts!
Quote:
One thing noticeable is that Petter's style has had to change - the chassis is more rigid and planted, and far less nimble than the DS3. However test times have gone down so it doesn't seem to be having a negative impact!
As pleased as I am to read that Solberg has found even more speed, I'm a little disappointed to read that his driving style has had to change: I was hoping to see the new Polo as sideways as the DS3 has been on many occasions!
Old 23 Mar 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3720906)   #437
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
I always assumed that he had a slight advantage over the competition the last 3 years especially because of the softer setup?
Old 23 Mar 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3720908)   #438
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I always assumed that he had a slight advantage over the competition the last 3 years especially because of the softer setup?
It fitted him, yeah, but no one else really though. The Walfridson's, both Stecka and Lukas, got advice from Solberg to have softer setups. At first both did but both got faster when they went a bit stiffer actually. Some believe that Solberg would have been faster if he ran a not so soft setup too. Will be interesting to see how his and Kristoffersson's car will differ.

Probably had the best engine in the field but has exceptional driving skills, he could probably drive with any setup really.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3721595)   #439
Silhuette
Racer

Have you seen the video of the Solberg Polos that FIA shared in Facebook this morning?

The car is now sporting a conventional rear radiator setup, and there is some clips of the car flying by. The car sounds more aggressive and while it isn't as soft as the DS3, it seems to me like Petter is still driving more sideways than most. Or my guess would be that Johan is driving most of the early clips and Petter most of the later ones.

Looks pretty fast but who knows what the competition have been able to achieve over the winter?

Sent fra min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3722228)   #440
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
New livery Block and Bakkerud:

It's painful for the eyes.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3722254)   #441
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
It's painful for the eyes.
That's what I thought when I saw the pictures.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3722263)   #442
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Glad it's not just me, it's making my eyes hurt as well! Saw an Aston with that "3D" style livery on it at Le Mans: was bloody impossible to get a picture of!
Old 29 Mar 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3722413)   #443
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Funny thought, could drivers behind the Focus get their eyes irritated by the livery?
Old 29 Mar 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3722437)   #444
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
You must wear red/blue glasses.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3722602)   #445
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
Got to say, at the Media Day today getting photos of it is pretty much impossible for a normal camera. Can't imagine the sponsors like it much....
Old 30 Mar 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3722604)   #446
Silhuette
Racer

Just you wait till someone has an epileptic fit from looking at it, the fallout will be epic.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3722616)   #447
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Got to say, at the Media Day today getting photos of it is pretty much impossible for a normal camera. Can't imagine the sponsors like it much....
Is that when it was parked? Going to be even more fun when it's on the move!
Old 30 Mar 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3722632)   #448
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Is that when it was parked? Going to be even more fun when it's on the move!
Yep - it just looks blurry, even when it's not!
Old 31 Mar 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3722857)   #449
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Because of that I don't understand why they have chosen this livery.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3722902)   #450
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
I don't like the shape of the WRX Focus anyway, wheels look tiny in comparison, etc. I prefer the looks of the Polo and 208, although I am not sure about the new (wider?) wheel arches of the 208...