Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 16 Sep 2007, 08:38 (Ref:2014275)   #26
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What do we say at this moment. Deeply shocked.

Saw the news last night on the internet, hoping Colin wasn't on board. But hour by hour, it is looking increasingly like it was.

Very sad news. My condolences to his wife, his child, his parents, his brother and the rest of his family and friends.

Britain has lost another great motorsport personailty in a horrific accident. May you rest in peice Colin, a true rally mastercalss.

RIP.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 08:40 (Ref:2014277)   #27
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news, we will miss you.

RIP.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2014309)   #28
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Completely devastated. RIP Colin.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:26 (Ref:2014330)   #29
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Colin, his son & the other passengers & my condolences to his family, friends & fans.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2014331)   #30
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Although nothing's confirmed it does seem pretty inevitable.

R.I.P Colin
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2014351)   #31
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true icon of the British rally sport is lost.

My condolences for the McRae family, and the unnamed family whom lost its loved ones, too.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2014388)   #32
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
That video just sums up what Colin was all about

I still can't believe it even over 12 hours after it became inevitable that he was on the helicopter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/6997241.stm
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2014409)   #33
Carlos 70
Rookie

Carlos 70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad sad news.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2014410)   #34
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first memories of motorsport are from the British Rally championship in 1988 where Colin in his Nova looked visibly quicker than many of the Sierras etc. He has always been one of my motorsport heroes and I am utterly devastated by the news. My heart goes out to Alison, Hollie and all the McRae family and their friends. Rest in peace Colin and Johnny you will never be forgotten.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2014412)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's just the most terrible thing.

McRae really planted rallying into my mind at a reasonably young age in a way I doubt anyone else could have. He just was the most flamboyant, gritty determined driver and British to boot. Definitely someone to be proud of.

I can't claim to have known him of course, that would be ridiculous, but I did have the pleasure of meeting him a number of times when he drove for Ford as they tested not too far away from me. But this was enough, for me anyways, to appreciate just what a down to earth and lovely bloke he was. He even gave me a hat and a copy of the "Ford & McRae" book one day.

I truly admired him and was so gutted when he rolled out of Rally GB in 2001.

This also means we have lost both our champions, our only world rally champions, before they even hit 40 years of age.

A truly awful loss and what makes it worse is it seems family members were involved.

RIP Colin.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2014415)   #36
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The year was 1995 and it was the first year that I'd known anything at all about motorsport. Whilst I was transfixed, naturally on the Formula One, elsewhere, Colin McRae was well on his way to taking the WRC title for Subaru, becoming the youngest WRC of all-time in the process.

I was lucky enough to have watched McRae in action (on the TV, but... still) and it was a pleasure to watch him drive. Long after he departed the Subaru team, I still connect the 555 liveried cars with him and it's a shame he couldn't win another one in his lifetime.

McRae will be remembered as a driver who took a World Rally Championship at the height of the sports competitiveness and popularity. He'll also be remembered for his daring, his courage, and the fighting spirit that seems inherant in some people.

It's almost too hard to believe that both of our British WRC Champions are no longer with us, and have both been taken from us at such young and unfair ages.

Rest in peace Colin and too, those others who were on board the helicopter when it crashed. My thoughts are with the families, particularly Colin's wife, his children, Jimmy, Alistair and the rest of his close personal contacts.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:01 (Ref:2014417)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the most exciting rally drivers of all time, he never gave less than 100% and put rallying on the map for the man in the street. This is truely devastating news and as I write this there's speculation that other members of his family may have been in the aircraft too. I sincerely hope not.
My deepest sympathies go out his family and friends. RIP Colin.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2014419)   #38
Raceonly
Racer

Australia
Raceonly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a terrible shock. And a double tragedy that his young son died as well. First Possum, then Richard Burns, and now Colin. When you consider that most of the young people who know about rallying through the game Colin McRae Rally, the loss to the sport- even though he did not have drive- is still immense.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:53 (Ref:2014465)   #39
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Rest In Peace Colin & to all killed in this tragic accident
Old 16 Sep 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2014533)   #40
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Such a shocking tragedy.

Condolences to everyone related to Colin and all his fans.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2014550)   #41
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Colin Steele McRae
1968 - 2007

You will be remembered as fondly in death as you were admired in life.

Rest in Peace
Old 16 Sep 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2014560)   #42
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic news, My thoughts are with all the family of both victims at this time.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2014561)   #43
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One word... Legend!! RIP Colin & Johnny
Old 16 Sep 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2014575)   #44
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP Colin. I was talking to a poilce officer (who had to investigate my elderly next door neighbour to see if he was alright but grimly found that he passed away in his sleep) and when I told him that Colin had died, he was just shocked as was I and my family.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2014579)   #45
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Unbelievable

R I P
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2014620)   #46
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sorry he is gone, so glad he was here

R.I.P Colin
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2014625)   #47
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
A terrible loss for motorsport - my thoughts are with his family and the families of his passengers. RIP.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:41 (Ref:2014637)   #48
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a tragic loss. condolences to his family and to all those involved in the crash
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:45 (Ref:2014643)   #49
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Throughout my 15 years of following motorsport. Rallying was one aspect i never fully got into. Only 1 man kept me interested in that sport, and it was Colin McRae. An absolute gem to motorsport and the human race, and such a shame he couldn't carry on his great career. I think we all will say he deserved more than 1 WRC title, but not to be. A great driver and so obviously a great man. RIP Colin and the 3 other victims of this accident.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2014690)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Valentino Rossi won the Portuguese MotoGP today and was quick to dedicate his win to the memory of his friend Colin, which shows the universal respect in which he was held, as we all know.