Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1561436)   #1
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Dana Passes away

Paul Dana is in critical condition following a crash at the morning practice, he was flown with helicopter to a trauma center, does not sound good
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1561441)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ESPN Mobile has confirmed his death.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1561445)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not seen on any sites yet, but the impact was just horrible, brutal. There was a video on espn.go.com but I'm not sure it's there still...
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1561448)   #4
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Dana passed away today. Our toughts and prayers are with the Paul Dana Family.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1561452)   #5
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm so sorry to hear this.

My thoughts go out to Paul's family and all who knew him.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1561460)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Oh dear. Another sad loss. The IRL certainly is becoming one of the most fatal series to race in, despite all the safety measures in place. With a single engine supplier I would have hoped the rivals manufacturer's pushing the speeds up would have ended and the speed have been kept at a reasonable level but this just proves theres never any guarentee in motor sport.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1561470)   #7
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How very sad.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1561478)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So sad to hear of any death in any from of motorsport. Haven't had that feeling where your heart sinks on reading a thread.

RIP Paul Dana
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1561489)   #9
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Oh dear. Another sad loss. The IRL certainly is becoming one of the most fatal series to race in, despite all the safety measures in place. With a single engine supplier I would have hoped the rivals manufacturer's pushing the speeds up would have ended and the speed have been kept at a reasonable level but this just proves theres never any guarentee in motor sport.
3 people have been killed in IRL that's less than ither ow series so drop it please
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1561491)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Terrible news.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1561495)   #11
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is with great sadness i have to report the death of another racer
All our thoughts are with his family.
http://www.indyracing.com/news/story.php?story_id=6194
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1561497)   #12
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Horrible news.

Danica Patrick and Buddy Rice, his teammates aren't racing now.

And I presume Carpenter will be replaced by a stand-in.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1561500)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very sad news ,Ive just woken up to watch the race and find out this news.

RIP Paul and my condolences to the family
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1561523)   #14
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news, and something you never want to hear
RIP Paul Dana
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1561526)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very, very sad news indeed.

A lovely gesture by the team not to race.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and team-mates.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1561537)   #16
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I have not seen on any sites yet, but the impact was just horrible, brutal. There was a video on espn.go.com but I'm not sure it's there still...
The video is still there, at this link.

Absolutely horrific crash. RIP Paul Dana and condolences to family, friends and team.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1561540)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely dreadful, my thoughts are with the family, friends, team and the officials involved.

It's a sad day when the sport we love bites in this way.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1561543)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
3 people have been killed in IRL that's less than ither ow series so drop it please
Better drop Champ Car, Formula 1, 125cc GP motorcycle racing and just about every other racing series in the world then, as a vehicle crashing into a stationary or near-stationary one with disasterous results is something that can happen in every single form of racing. Hell, you even had that happen in the bloody World Rally Championship this weekend when a co-driver was killed because another car slid off the road and crashed into the car he was changing a tire on (after he and the driver went off at the same place minutes earlier).

Of course Dana's passing is a very tragic event, but please, look to what actually happened before you start talking garbage about shutting down the series etc.

Then again, nothing like a little fatality to allow for all the haters to see an opportunity to call for the IndyCar series to get shut down eh?
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1561546)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That, however, is another thread rustyfan.

A thread best left alone for a good few days.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1561554)   #20
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Better drop Champ Car, Formula 1, 125cc GP motorcycle racing and just about every other racing series in the world then, as a vehicle crashing into a stationary or near-stationary one with disasterous results is something that can happen in every single form of racing. Hell, you even had that happen in the bloody World Rally Championship this weekend when a co-driver was killed because another car slid off the road and crashed into the car he was changing a tire on (after he and the driver went off at the same place minutes earlier).

Of course Dana's passing is a very tragic event, but please, look to what actually happened before you start talking garbage about shutting down the series etc.

Then again, nothing like a little fatality to allow for all the haters to see an opportunity to call for the IndyCar series to get shut down eh?
I thiunk you misunderstood my post, nevermind
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1561566)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad news.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1561579)   #22
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw it.....that's something you never want to see.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1561584)   #23
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Very sad news.
Just seen it now on Sky Sports, very sad
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1561588)   #24
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just curious, what do most of the other racing series around the world do in a case like this? Would they go ahead and race or not, given that it was just 3 hours ago that a driver died. Race broadcast here was talking how several of the drivers didnt want to race today. I can see both sides' point of view.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1561596)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
Just curious, what do most of the other racing series around the world do in a case like this? Would they go ahead and race or not, given that it was just 3 hours ago that a driver died. Race broadcast here was talking how several of the drivers didnt want to race today. I can see both sides' point of view.
Can't think of any other race, in any major championship, that has been cancelled due to a driver fatality in either practice or qualifying.

Formula 1 didn't cease activities after Ratzenberger's death at Imola in 1994, nor did Champ Car after Rodriguez died at Laguna Seca in 1999. NASCAR kept racing as well after Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty died in NEXTEL Cup and Busch Series practice, both at New Hampshire in 2000, respectively.

Not even a fatality during an event usually stops it (unless it happens right near the end), not even in this day and age of political correctness. The Dakar Rally continued, for example, as did the two recent World Rally Championship events (the first one late last year and the latter this very weekend) during which a co-driver has been killed.