Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Dec 2001, 18:54 (Ref:182229)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the MG LMP fastest of them all?

this is taken from Autosport...

Quote:
The MG Le Mans car ran on US soil for the first time this week at the Sebring circuit and promptly beat this year's American Le Mans Series Audi pole time by more than half a second. Jonny Kane completed 150 laps over two days running at the Sebring International Raceway and set a best time of 1m48.5s, eclipsing Tom Kristensen's pole time from March this year by 0.6s.
Nicely done on that bumpy abrasive track. The real question will down to can it make the whole race?
Old 4 Dec 2001, 19:11 (Ref:182250)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent! At Le Mans the MG wasn't a match on pace for the Audi, but maybe the Le Mans circuits plays to the bigger engined cars advantages more. However I suspect that the conditions might have been a bit better for the MG's test.

Still impressive though. It doesn't need to be as quick as the Audi, just close enough to allow it's better fuel mileage to become the deciding factor.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 20:50 (Ref:182288)   #3
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the situation of the LMP675 cars in the ALMS? Which cars will compete in the series?
Old 4 Dec 2001, 22:45 (Ref:182335)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that the weather was fairly warm during the 12 hr, but the weather in sebring is now just chamber of commerce perfect. Just right for going fast. Plus, everyone goes 300mph in testing. They may not be up to race weight and they might not be using an air restrictor. It might also be they have a qualifying engine. Or tires. Or even rocket fuel.

It is good news that they are going that fast even at that. They led the LeMans race and put up a great fight. Perhaps that car would have done really well at the petite. Without the loooooong straights, they would have been more in their element. It would be great to see them do the whole series. Particularly if they can take it to Audi.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 22:58 (Ref:182340)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you based near Sebring Dr ? Are you planning either the Sebring or Daytona races next year, if so let me know as I visit Tampa quite often.

Your comments are relevant but even so the times are fairly good all things considered. The fuel will last longer so even if they are slightly slower in race trim it could at long last make a race of it. Even if it is only a few hours until the Audi's break

Simon
Old 5 Dec 2001, 07:01 (Ref:182411)   #6
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice Makes me wonder how fast the new 675 reynard chasis will be. another thought being that if they do well over all, will we finally see more of the top gt teams making similar move to the 675 class like barbour team did?
Old 5 Dec 2001, 07:17 (Ref:182413)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes! Es is here! Es is the sportscar guru of another forum and is a valuable contributor. I am very glad you are here. Please feel free to contact me through the private message system. we have much sporstcar racing to catch up on since our exploits at the other place.
Old 14 Dec 2001, 16:47 (Ref:185876)   #8
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A recent report said this was probably due to the recent repaving of the track. With good weather and extra grip this would give great gains at Sebring because of the number of high speed corners leading on to straights. Wing angle can be reduced because of the increased grip level, giving a higher straight speed. We're probably talking 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster easy.

I think this came from Le Mans and Sportscar magazine site.
Old 15 Dec 2001, 21:51 (Ref:186311)   #9
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive that this car is capable of being the class of the field....

Then again I am (as my login name suggests) Biased towards this marque.

Perhaps if Guy is around he might be able to provide a few fact and figures???