Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3815729)   #976
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I miss Mclaren Mercedes
Old 15 Apr 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3815732)   #977
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I get the feeling Vandoorne is simply not good enough for a team like McLaren.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3815737)   #978
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I get the feeling Vandoorne is simply not good enough for a team like McLaren.
What makes you say that? The car is not particularly good. and he simply doesn't have Alonso's experience.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3815739)   #979
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If his starts weren't so bad he wouldn't have to waste so much time getting back to the front, and actually get proper results.

Oh, nevermind, he's not even good enough to get back to the front apparently.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Apr 2018 at 13:43.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 03:54 (Ref:3815938)   #980
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
If we are crediting Alonso with outperforming in relation to the car, as is befitting a multiple time world champion, it is hard to be too down on a second year driver running around in places more representative of the car.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3815965)   #981
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Being team mate to a great like Fred is always going to be difficult, especially if the car isn't that great.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3816160)   #982
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eric Boullier says, McLaren's real 2018 Formula 1 car will not be seen until next month's Spanish Grand Prix.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135446
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3816164)   #983
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well let’s see if he is right, would be good, Fred has maximised what he’s got out of the car now
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3816193)   #984
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Eric Boullier: “The car we have now, is as per plan, it's not that we missed the targets with it. But we missed the schedule targets with it, which means the car we'll have in Barcelona should have been in Australia.”

Not sure I understand the distinction.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3816195)   #985
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Eric Boullier: “The car we have now, is as per plan, it's not that we missed the targets with it. But we missed the schedule targets with it, which means the car we'll have in Barcelona should have been in Australia.”

Not sure I understand the distinction.
I think he means:

The current car is spec X - and we expected the performance level to be at F
The next car is spec Y - and we expect the performance level to be at G

The spec X is performing to the standard we expected, but we expected spec Y to be ready earlier?

Or in over words - the developments are at the performance expected in each iteration, but the iterations are later in appearing....
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3816196)   #986
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have just read the article more closely - it seems to me that Boullier is saying that the 2017 car is performing as expected, but the 2018 car is late in arriving...
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3816198)   #987
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Eric Boullier says, McLaren's real 2018 Formula 1 car will not be seen until next month's Spanish Grand Prix.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135446
a shame really because they are doing pretty good with their imaginary F1 car at the moment.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3816220)   #988
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think both EB and Paddy Lowe need some expectation management tuition....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Apr 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3816222)   #989
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and i'm going to be a millionaire by this time next year
Old 17 Apr 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3816227)   #990
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Lol, this must be the latest excuse for the sponsors they don’t need and aren’t trying to find
Old 17 Apr 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3816231)   #991
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
a shame really because they are doing pretty good with their imaginary F1 car at the moment.
Just not as well as they had imagined?
Old 24 Apr 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3817129)   #992
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I miss Mclaren Mercedes
You're not the only one.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3817143)   #993
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will the current management team at McLaren blame Mr Dennis for this year’s craap car too?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Apr 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3817161)   #994
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Will the current management team at McLaren blame Mr Dennis for this year’s craap car too?
This years car hasn't appeared yet.....
Old 24 Apr 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3817162)   #995
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The car's not been that bad so far, especially in Alonso's capable hands. A 5th and two 7th places.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3817173)   #996
S griffin
Veteran

And when the 'proper' new car arrives in Spain, who knows what will happen?
Old 24 Apr 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3817184)   #997
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
was the Mclaren Mercedes era really that good though?

race wins aplenty sure but also so so many other problems.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3817186)   #998
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
This years car hasn't appeared yet.....
So there is two ways to look at this. First is the very optimistic pro McLaren view in that... The 2018 car hasn't shown up yet, so hold your judgement! I appreciate that viewpoint.

Second I think a more accurate perspective is that we are three races in and McLaren doesn't expect to bring their "real" car until the fifth race? Over 20% of the season will be in the mirrors! Yes they switched power units, etc. But I feel they very much are in a position to be judged for their performance so far.

It is interesting to go back and read the 2018 launch PR stuff. Clearly they talk about the current car as the "new" car and there is no mention of it being an interim solution until a "real new" car shows up later. It is named the MCL33 and not something like MCL32b. I get that this is a PR statement, but it is ironic in hindsight. Clearly we should ignore what the teams say as either it was a lie then, or it is revisionist history now...

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/201...mcl33-3162533/

And to be honest, I have to question if this "new" car is actually "new", or just a slew of already planned updates that are not unusual for pretty much ALL teams to bring at that point in the season. I expect most everyone may have a "new" car (by McLaren's definition) at some point in the season. Development is always ongoing. The car at the start and end of the seasons is usually clearly an evolution. Is McLaren bringing an entirely new chassis (along with requisite crash testing, etc.) or is this just standard aero and other misc updates? Is all of this talk some type of attempt at a face saving measure from McLaren given how poorly they have performed given who they are?

Lastly... Imagine if the upgraded car is not a significant step forward! Oh boy! Over promise and under deliver might be the new team motto! IMHO, the better strategy is to just keep their heads down, "quietly" deliver upgrades and then (hopefully) show progress on track. That is the best way to silence critics.

Richard
Old 24 Apr 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3817190)   #999
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And when the 'proper' new car arrives in Spain, who knows what will happen?
They will probably just open 'The Observers Book of Racing Car Excuses' at a random page, copy and paste a few lines!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So there is two ways to look at this. First is the very optimistic pro McLaren view in that... The 2018 car hasn't shown up yet, so hold your judgement! I appreciate that viewpoint.

Second I think a more accurate perspective is that we are three races in and McLaren doesn't expect to bring their "real" car until the fifth race? Over 20% of the season will be in the mirrors! Yes they switched power units, etc. But I feel they very much are in a position to be judged for their performance so far.

It is interesting to go back and read the 2018 launch PR stuff. Clearly they talk about the current car as the "new" car and there is no mention of it being an interim solution until a "real new" car shows up later. It is named the MCL33 and not something like MCL32b. I get that this is a PR statement, but it is ironic in hindsight. Clearly we should ignore what the teams say as either it was a lie then, or it is revisionist history now...

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/201...mcl33-3162533/

And to be honest, I have to question if this "new" car is actually "new", or just a slew of already planned updates that are not unusual for pretty much ALL teams to bring at that point in the season. I expect most everyone may have a "new" car (by McLaren's definition) at some point in the season. Development is always ongoing. The car at the start and end of the seasons is usually clearly an evolution. Is McLaren bringing an entirely new chassis (along with requisite crash testing, etc.) or is this just standard aero and other misc updates? Is all of this talk some type of attempt at a face saving measure from McLaren given how poorly they have performed given who they are?

Lastly... Imagine if the upgraded car is not a significant step forward! Oh boy! Over promise and under deliver might be the new team motto! IMHO, the better strategy is to just keep their heads down, "quietly" deliver upgrades and then (hopefully) show progress on track. That is the best way to silence critics.

Richard
I think you're right Richard, this will be an evolution, and yes, saying that the 'NEW' car will arrive at the fifth race really mans that by then, they will have a raft of new developments to add to the car. I did read somewhere that, as the cars & equipment have to be shipped out so early for the first few races (let's face it, they're a long way away from where most of the teams are based), major revisions won't happen until the races get back into Europe.
Certainly, as you say, once more McLaren have stuck their neck out and made huge promises, they are going to look doubly foolish if they don't live up to them...
Old 24 Apr 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3817195)   #1000
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it would be good for McLaren to diversify into balloon racing, all that self-generation of hot air would enable them to lap the field, and look at all that sponsorship space on a big orange balloon.