Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3767015)   #551
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is actually getting so bizarre, I don't think I have ever seen something so bad as a silly season, its not even a silly season now
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3767037)   #552
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It really is silly season if Renault thought they would get Ricciardo out of the third best car on the grid, capable of wins on its day, into their yellow mid-field mediocrity.

On the other hand a move to Renault would make perfect sense for Sainz.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3767042)   #553
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It really is silly season if Renault thought they would get Ricciardo out of the third best car on the grid, capable of wins on its day, into their yellow mid-field mediocrity.

On the other hand a move to Renault would make perfect sense for Sainz.
Wonder if Mr Ricciardo would have had a choice about it?

And if he would have wanted to go?

Weird...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3767044)   #554
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Here we go.... now official.

Renault Sport Racing conclude Scuderia Toro Rosso partnership.

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...p.html?lang=fr

McLaren and Honda agree to conclude Formula 1 partnership.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...1-partnership/
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3767045)   #555
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
And more...

McLaren Racing and Renault Sport Racing confirm partnership.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...m-partnership/

Last edited by F1Guy; 15 Sep 2017 at 10:43.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3767047)   #556
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
More...

Carlos Sainz joins Remault F1 for 2018.

https://www.renaultsport.com/carlos-...-for-2018.html
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3767049)   #557
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
And more...

McLaren and Honda to Conclude F1 Partnership.

http://world.honda.com/news/2017/c17...2bf7a5988bad04

Honda to Supply F1 Power Units to Scuderia Toro Rosso.

http://world.honda.com/news/2017/c17...68de2c591082e0
Old 15 Sep 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3767054)   #558
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Now that Alonso is seperated from Honda, his bad voodoo will be gone and Honda will come good. Wouldn't be surprised if it magically showed life the rest of this year.

So for 2019, I expect Honda will be with red bull after a successful year with torro rosso, which would at least make McLaren the second team in the pecking order with Renault. And if Alonso is still around, Renault be the fourth best engine option leaving Alonso stuck battling for 7th.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3767056)   #559
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I bet next year Red Bull Renault will beat McLaren Renault

I bet the year after that Red Bull Honda will beat McLaren Renault.

I know McLaren have had enough, but in hindsight they might look back on this in a couple of years time, when Red Bull Honda are running at the sharp end, and regret all the testing they did on behalf of the sugary drinks company, who will likely reap the benefits.

Time will tell...
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3767067)   #560
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be interesting to know who actually created this game of Snakes & Ladders.
Did Mr Brown create this? And execute it so perfectly?

It would be interesting to know who has to pay for who to keep the game alive..

Somehow it almost reads like Renault wanted to get away from Red Bull so bad that they welcomed such a convoluted deal, presuming all the parts could be executed.

Red Bull has been whinging about Renault all year... will that be better with McLaren?

If you read the precis of the Autosport/motorsport.com article about the Mclaren Honda split, there seems to be LOTS of blame at the door of McLaren...

No sign in any of the releases whether the McLaren operation will badge the engines as Renault, or something else.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3767080)   #561
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I know McLaren have had enough, but in hindsight they might look back on this in a couple of years time, when Red Bull Honda are running at the sharp end, and regret all the testing they did on behalf of the sugary drinks company, who will likely reap the benefits.

Time will tell...
This is what I'm thinking too. The factory Honda team, whoever it is, is eventually going to get it right. And being the factory team will always be better than a customer lower on the list of priorities. Plus the additional funding. I find it hard to believe that Honda will exit f1 without ever running at the sharp end of the grid. Now when they do, red bull will benefit and McLaren will look impulsive and be an also-ran running customer renaults.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3767081)   #562
RWill2073
Veteran

Will any of this begin to be implememted before next year? Like could McLaren fit a Renault in their car for a few races? Or sainz replace Palmer sometime this season?
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3767084)   #563
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Time will tell...
Simple thing is, Honda wont be able to catch up for years, they came in late, and until 2021, I cant see them catching the front runners, and even then, they weren't that great before, we look at Honda as a good runner in the past, but I think that was only due to Senna, he had success in it, but many other teams didn't
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3767085)   #564
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Can't see engine swaps during the season - especially with these massively complicated units. Mid season engine swaps would not benefit any of the 4 parties.

Drivers moves are not impossible I suppose, but nothing in the official released implies that Sainz will move until next year.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3767087)   #565
RWill2073
Veteran

I would think swapping engines mid season would help Honda, because why would they provide updates to McLaren now? And seeing how your car runs with the new engines could help all teams, right? I mean, I realize the cars would be compromised by not having the engines they were designed for, but at least then we could see continued development for those teams.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3767093)   #566
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Can't see engine swaps during the season - especially with these massively complicated units. Mid season engine swaps would not benefit any of the 4 parties.

Drivers moves are not impossible I suppose, but nothing in the official released implies that Sainz will move until next year.
Mr Alonso is still slinging off at his 2017 engine in P1...
Old 15 Sep 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3767098)   #567
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I would think swapping engines mid season would help Honda, because why would they provide updates to McLaren now? And seeing how your car runs with the new engines could help all teams, right? I mean, I realize the cars would be compromised by not having the engines they were designed for, but at least then we could see continued development for those teams.
I think likely you won't see any new things for Honda this season, but there may be a contract that specifies they have to bring any updates forward within a time period. And McLaren has to run whatever spec Honda appoints as 'current' but as we've seen contracts are never as iron clad as people like to claim.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3767118)   #568
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Will any of this begin to be implememted before next year? Like could McLaren fit a Renault in their car for a few races? Or sainz replace Palmer sometime this season?
I can't point to it right now, but outside of the engineering challenge to switch, I don't think the regulations allow it?

My question is... Will Honda aggressively push development of the 2017 engine or will the focus just on 2018 now. Given the reliability issues it would make sense for Honda to get race miles on development engines. However, for McLaren they likely want reliability and ability to get any points they can and may not want to act as a test platform for 2018 TR team.

I am not sure how I would bet on this. I tend to lean toward Honda releasing relatively small reliability upgrades and not any large performance upgrades during the remainder of 2017 season. Might Honda and TR (or even With help from RBR) start work now with the Honda engine and TR chassis (in mule configuration) on a dynamic chassis dyno (that we believe was never done with McLaren)?

Richard
Old 15 Sep 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3767141)   #569
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So now it's all been confirmed, it leaves us with an exciting prospect for next season. Hopefully Fred and Vandoorne will finally get more of the results they deserve and Sainz vs Hulk should be tasty
Old 15 Sep 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3767170)   #570
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think this link dated 25th August shows that switching power unit providers is more than just fitting a different engine.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3767347)   #571
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Seems like mostly sorted with Alonso, Giovinazzi and Leclerc to be confirmed at McLaren and the two Saubers. Probably KFC-boy as third driver at Sauber combined with paying Prema mega-bucks for F2.

Would just leave the lead Willy to be duked out between Massa, Ericcson, Palmer and Kubica.

Unless someone 'does a Nico' or Haas pull a surprise. Or someone like Latifi brings the Purina billions - although perhaps he's more likely to go to lead Prema in F2 with an eye on 2019.

Last edited by peebee2; 16 Sep 2017 at 10:56.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3767830)   #572
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Perez confirmed at Force Racing for 2018. A one year only deal.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3767832)   #573
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Team for 2018??
Old 17 Sep 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3767845)   #574
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

Would just leave the lead Willy to be duked out between Massa, Ericcson, Palmer and Kubica.
Does he have that much money?
Old 17 Sep 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3767864)   #575
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Does he have that much money?
Rather depends on how much Ferrari give them to run their two in what will probably be this year's Ferrari car painted blue.