Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 May 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1312786)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
[DVD] Gulf/Wyer GT40s & 917s in action

I few days ago I have bought a DVD called "Gulf/Wyer GT40s & 917s in action":

Description:
Quote:
Two superb period films for the price of one. The first was made as a promotional film for Ferodo brakes and concentrates on the 1968 Le Mans 24 Hours and particularly the efforts of the Gulf-Wyer Ford GT40s. The atmosphere of this event is brilliantly captured from the April practice weekend to the race itself and the opening on-board lap filmed during practice highlights just how much the circuit has changed over the years, it's very sobering to see the total lack of armco with trees up to the edge of the Mulsanne Straight when we consider that the cars would have been doing 200mph! The second film follows the Gulf-Wyer Porsches during the 1970 championship season. The angles that Siffert gets his car to in the rain at Brands Hatch are heartstopping, as is the start to the Spa 1000kms when Siffert and Rodriguez are trading paint through Eau Rouge! Other events include Daytona, Sebring, Nurburgring, Watkins Glen, Le Mans, Monza and Zeltewg in the 917s and also the Targa Florio with the 908s. Brilliant action, superbly editied. A must for all sportscar fans.
Terrific Stuff Ltd

I like especially the 2nd part (35 minutes) about the Gulf Porsches in the 1970 sportscar season. Between the coverage of the races the season is commented by legend John Wyer. There are some nice pics of the Targa Florio. The 1st part gives a good view on the Le Mans race of 1968. At that time the circuit was really a public road circuit (and as a result not very safe).

I can really recommend this DVD.

[@ the moderators: Probably this posting belongs to Armchair Enthusiast section. I posted it in this section because of the subject, but feel free to move]
Old 28 May 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1312868)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've had it for ages (on VHS).

And yes, it is very good!
Old 28 May 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1312879)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I would love to see a 60 or 90 minutes long DVD which covers the Targa Florio of that time period.
Old 29 May 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1312973)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, the stuff in Speed Merchants is great, but not nearly enough.

I haven't watched that Wyer tape in ages, as my dad's got it. Great stuff, though.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 May 2005, 02:16 (Ref:1312976)   #5
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the tape as well, the Ford part is OK but the Porsche one is much better. I wish there would be more stuff available about that period...68-71
Old 29 May 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1313086)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, FIRE, I ordered it !
Old 30 May 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1314723)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definotely worth having. For me, I prefer the Ford part of it - as there is so little about the 917s at Le Mans (as they had a disaster!).
Old 31 May 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1316297)   #8
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Where can I buy a copy of this DVD in the UK?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1321857)   #9
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously not...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1321955)   #10
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I'm a Yank, but I often get a store to order a DVD for me if they don't have it in stock. Try that.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:34 (Ref:1321959)   #11
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also look at La Ronde Infernale, which is the film of the 1969 race and also there was a video called "The History of Le Mans" which looks like it started as a series of half-hour TV shows. There's good stuff on both of them.

And then there's the Steve McQueen movie...... of which I have three copies.

Kramer
Old 7 Jun 2005, 04:31 (Ref:1322046)   #12
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
I think duke video has it for the UK
Old 7 Jun 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1322118)   #13
Bentley Beermon
Racer

England
Sheffield
Bentley Beermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Try the link in Fires original post
Old 8 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1323177)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
I have the tape as well, the Ford part is OK but the Porsche one is much better. I wish there would be more stuff available about that period...68-71
Absolutely agree!

I've had the video for ages. One of my favourite bits is Seppi and Pedro blatting down to Eau Rouge. Neither was going to give way....
Old 19 Jul 2005, 05:59 (Ref:1358287)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Erm...

As I mentionned it above, I ordered it... my money's gone at the bank... but I got nothing in my box...

How long does it take to get the stuff ? My money was debited on the 22th of June...
Old 19 Jul 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1358325)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd have thought you would have had it by now Fab. Was that from Duke? They're normally pretty reliable. I'd email them and ask if there's a problem.....
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1358357)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Not Duke but Terrific Stuff Video Ltd... I let a message this morning... waiting for the answer, but I hope they won't answer "sorry, mail's fault, we're not responsible"...
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1358363)   #18
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Fab, I get usually one week to 10 days to get stuff from the UK over to Holland. Then again, you also depend on "La Poste".......
From the US this is more around 4 weeks.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1358585)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its in chaters Brands Hatch
Old 19 Jul 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1358770)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
That's much more than four weeks now...

I think I'm done and dusted
Old 20 Jul 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1359065)   #21
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Bad luck mate. If you don't mind waiting and paying over the odds, there is always the Chaters book stall at Le Mans each year. Definitely seen a few copies of it there.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1359510)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Thanks Allon, I spent enough this year... I'll see in 2006...

20.49 £ gone for nothing... darn !
Old 20 Jul 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1359519)   #23
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you not claim it back,if you paid by credit/debit card?,if it's a Royal Mail problem,aren't they liable for compo,especially if it's a recorded/special delivery?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1359898)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Can you not claim it back,if you paid by credit/debit card?,if it's a Royal Mail problem,aren't they liable for compo,especially if it's a recorded/special delivery?
Dunno... money's gone, and who to ask for now ? I let a message, and still got no answer... that's the problem when you don't face the saler... and who's to blame ? Royal mail ? French mail ? Somebody else ? That's my first problem ever in ordering something on the web...

Last edited by Fab; 21 Jul 2005 at 15:35.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1360119)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Have you had any answer from them Fab?

Email me with the details - because of what I do, I can sometimes make useful representations in things like this.