Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 24 Jul 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1362216)   #1
MrLipid
Rookie

MrLipid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spirit of Speed High Resolution Patches Available

For those who enjoyed Spirit of Speed 1937 but found the loss of mirrors at any resolution above 800x600 annoying, there are now two patches available that enable SoS to run, mirrors and all, at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. (You have to choose which resolution you want. And once you've chosen, that's the ONLY resolution that will support the mirrors.)

In addition, the Mirror patches also reduce the traction of the cars and weaken the brakes, making the cars much less sticky. Also, the skid sounds have been reduced to make it possible to enjoy the extended slides.

The patches can be found HERE, in the SOS1600 and SOS1280 folders.

The patches are built to modify the ORIGINAL car files. So, copy the archives folder from your SoS CD to your hard drive. Copy the unmodified streamliner files into the new archives folder. Also, copy the Spirit of Speed.exe file into this new archives folder.

You can rename the archives folder in your Spirit of Speed folder or, if you want, just overwrite it by copying in the archives folder you've just built from your SoS CD.

Aim the appropriate patch at the Microprose/Spirit of Speed/archives folder and let it do its stuff.

The patch will ask you if you want to start the game. Don't do it from the patch. Close the patch and start SoS normally.

Remember to set the proper resolution in your NotTheRegistry.txt file.

Enjoy!
Old 28 Jul 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1365297)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess my copy of SofS is long-buried in the study somewhere...... Far too busy trying to get back to somewhere near my best in GPL.....
Old 28 Jul 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1365479)   #3
MrLipid
Rookie

A noble cause, that.

Should your copy of SoS ever surface, the patches will be waiting....
Old 28 Jul 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1365493)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will, I'm sure of that.....
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1488878)   #5
MrLipid
Rookie

Update. There is now a third high resolution patch: this one for 1024.

All the SOS patches can be found HERE in their respective folders.

Any questions, just holler. Happy Holidays!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:09 (Ref:1493116)   #6
Horibilis
Rookie

Horibilis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having trouble with 1280x1024 patch

Hello Mrlipid

Firstly thankyou for the files, but i am having trouble with the installer.
I downloaded the streamliner files from the folder SOS37GH and copied them to the archives folder i created from my cd, i then copied the folder to my sos directory, also copied the english and german tc files to the frontlibdata ( i renamed the originals before copying ) i also changed the screen mode in the not the registry text. When i run the 1280 installer and direct it to my archives folder i get a wrong folder selected message.I have tried reinstalling sos to a different directory but get the same message.Can you advise me .
Cheers
Dave
Old 2 Jan 2006, 03:58 (Ref:1493193)   #7
MrLipid
Rookie

Did you copy the Spirit of Speed.exe file into the ARCHIVES folder? The installer requires it even though it will not be the exe the game uses. That is, when the installer asks you if you want to start the game (it will be using the copy of the SOS.exe in the ARCHIVES folder), the answier is NO. Click on NO, and then start the game with the exe in the Spirit of Speed folder.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1493513)   #8
Horibilis
Rookie

Thanks for the quick response, but i think i have got it to work. Yes i did have the exe in the archives folder before i used the installer.
I directed the installer to the sos directory and not the archive folder, this seems to have a vast improvement on the graphics but im unable to tell what resolution it is at, as nothing shows up in the options / resolution listing and it cannot be changed to any other res.
Any further advice would be greatly apprieciated, but as it is there is a marked improvement .
best wishes
Dave
Old 2 Jan 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1493537)   #9
MrLipid
Rookie

The resolution, if you used the 1280 patch, is 1280. The patch locks the resolution at 1280 which is why there are no other options available.

In addition to changing the resolution, the patch also tones down the skid sounds, reduces the braking efficiency and loosens up the traction.

If you want to run at a different resolution, start with a fresh (unpatched) archives folder and apply one of the other patches.

(You can run a patched version of SoS at 800x600, but the mirrors won't be present. The main point of the resolution patch was to properly locate the mirrors at higher resolutions.)

Glad you got it working! Happy New Year!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1493610)   #10
Horibilis
Rookie

Thankyou for your help and files and an Happy New Year to you too.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1494110)   #11
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can i just ask a question? Having read the first post what are the patches? I'm reading it and it talks about patches for high res mirrors. But then it talks about reducing the traction and braking for the cars. The way i read it the increased resolution of the mirrors effected the cars performance! I assume thats not the case and the patch isnt just for the mirrors?

Sorry, i dont have the game so was reading it as a complete outsider.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1494153)   #12
MrLipid
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
Can i just ask a question? Having read the first post what are the patches? I'm reading it and it talks about patches for high res mirrors. But then it talks about reducing the traction and braking for the cars. The way i read it the increased resolution of the mirrors effected the cars performance! I assume thats not the case and the patch isnt just for the mirrors?

Sorry, i dont have the game so was reading it as a complete outsider.
Reasonable question.

Here's the story.

The patches began as an effort to make the car handling in SoS a bit less arcadish. The brakes were too efficient and the cars were too sticky. Once the braking efficiency and grip were reduced, the skidding audio became much too annoying and was also reduced.

This left a version of SoS that behaved more convincingly while remaining limited to a maximum resolution of 800x600. Editing the NotTheRegistry.txt made it possible to increase the main resolution, but not the mirror resolution. This meant the mirrors remained at a resolution of 800x600, leaving them hanging in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Once a way was found to place the mirrors properly at varying resolutions, it seemed reasonable to create an all-in-one patch that would modify handling and resolution.

Any questions?
Old 4 Jan 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1494680)   #13
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh right thanks for the info.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3677535)   #14
JacktheRacer
Rookie

JacktheRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello fellow racers, anyone still have access to these patches? Would love to try...
Old 5 Oct 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3677541)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Blimey - that's what you call a blast from the past! I'm not sure it would even work on my current pc....
Old 7 Oct 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3678112)   #16
JacktheRacer
Rookie

SOS

Gpl is without doubt still the best racing sim to me (if you don't mind spending a good deal of time facing the wrong way!) as it is so unforgiving. However, SOS 1937 has a certain charm (being polite here) & I would love to see/use it at a higher res. I have it running on Win10 on a mother of a PC, but really blocky graphics. A shame the GPL modders can't have a crack at it, but just a graphics patch would keep me amused for a while.....anyone?
Old 15 Dec 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3696378)   #17
JacktheRacer
Rookie

SOS

I'll take that as no then!
Old 27 Dec 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3698640)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I fear so as Mr Lipid hasn't been on Tenths for over 3 years now....
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3699713)   #19
JacktheRacer
Rookie

I shall consider myself put out my misery!
Thanks for the reply.....
Old 7 Dec 2020, 00:32 (Ref:4021233)   #20
mglotus
Rookie

United States
mglotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am going to get this to work on Windows 10.