Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3522178)   #1226
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cant watch all v8 races on fta either, just a highlights package.

Difference in afl/nrl is that they are on every week, at least four nights a week, and fta gets at least 3 games live EVERY week for 28 weeks, plus finals plus state of origin. You can argue that with that much frequency that they can afford to share a deal with Fox (although in NRLs case, 9 call the shots, Fox get scraps). The V8 deal reminds me of the NBL deal (remember the NBL?): short term gain/ling term pain.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3522457)   #1227
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Cant watch all v8 races on fta either, just a highlights package.

Difference in afl/nrl is that they are on every week, at least four nights a week, and fta gets at least 3 games live EVERY week for 28 weeks, plus finals plus state of origin. You can argue that with that much frequency that they can afford to share a deal with Fox (although in NRLs case, 9 call the shots, Fox get scraps). The V8 deal reminds me of the NBL deal (remember the NBL?): short term gain/ling term pain.
NRL moved to a fixed draw in 2014 which means 9 no longer gets to decide which games it will show.This was accompanied by a 3 and1/2 million drop in TV audiences across the regular season in 2014.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 04:57 (Ref:3522588)   #1228
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I think its safe to say that this deal (and perhaps Mr Warburton's first order from Archer when he got the job) was done to right the ship as quickly as possible, monetarily, after the 13/14 season... ie..thinking short term rather than long term.

They've guarenteed TV income through 2020, have Gen2 rules announced that supposedly, on paper, will improve the series after 2017.....

...bulking up the attractive points for Archer to get serious about selling in a year or so's time??
I'd have to totally agree that this was short term thinking. I might be wrong but I would think a pretty basic principal of motor sport commerce would be. Get the maximum number of bums on seats and bums in armchairs. So that you can go to your sponsors and say look, this many people watched the pretty stickers on our car go past, and this many people watched us on the tellie. Please give us some more money, or please pay us to put your stickers on the car.

From a TV point of view they'd want to go to advertisers and say this many people are watching the V8's on tellie give us this much to advertise during the telecast. Anything that would cause these viewing numbers to drop would be a bad long term move.

In a category with teams that appear to be struggling to attract new sponsors, I would think this will only get harder.

As for the future of the sport. My mates and I used to get together for pretty much every round. There'd be 6-10 kids running around (Although not focused on the racing, they would watch for a bit and get exposure to the sport) thats a lot of eyes watching the stickers on the cars and watching the TV ads

With Live TV now only on Fox and none of us having access to it. Those kids (The future supporters of the category) now get no exposure to it at all. Where will the next generation of fans come from ????
Old 1 Apr 2015, 06:07 (Ref:3522597)   #1229
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
I'd have to totally agree that this was short term thinking. I might be wrong but I would think a pretty basic principal of motor sport commerce would be. Get the maximum number of bums on seats and bums in armchairs. So that you can go to your sponsors and say look, this many people watched the pretty stickers on our car go past, and this many people watched us on the tellie. Please give us some more money, or please pay us to put your stickers on the car.

From a TV point of view they'd want to go to advertisers and say this many people are watching the V8's on tellie give us this much to advertise during the telecast. Anything that would cause these viewing numbers to drop would be a bad long term move.

In a category with teams that appear to be struggling to attract new sponsors, I would think this will only get harder.

As for the future of the sport. My mates and I used to get together for pretty much every round. There'd be 6-10 kids running around (Although not focused on the racing, they would watch for a bit and get exposure to the sport) thats a lot of eyes watching the stickers on the cars and watching the TV ads

With Live TV now only on Fox and none of us having access to it. Those kids (The future supporters of the category) now get no exposure to it at all. Where will the next generation of fans come from ????
Very well put Trev, it's all well and good to have a wonderful telecast with all the tinsel in the TV industry at its disposal, but if only a percentage of you previous audience (ie fans) is watching it, does it really matter how flash it looks? For mine, this paytv decision made by Warburton and co will potentially bust the series.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 06:09 (Ref:3522598)   #1230
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
but still cant watch all the A league/NRL/AFL games on FTA. is a FTA channel going to outbid Fox for a league?
You've never ever been able to see all the NRL or AFL games on FTA, ever. These days there are more live NRL games on FTA than ever.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3522610)   #1231
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You've never ever been able to see all the NRL or AFL games on FTA, ever. These days there are more live NRL games on FTA than ever.
however we used to get 5 games of AFL on FTA out of 8 each week, now we get 4 out of 9 . and no highlights package

Backward step apparently,
Old 1 Apr 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3522632)   #1232
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Simple they will be the kids of households with access to quality shows like "Real Housewives of Melbourne" and "Keeping up the Kardashians" - so the series is some very safe hands
Old 1 Apr 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3522654)   #1233
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
however we used to get 5 games of AFL on FTA out of 8 each week, now we get 4 out of 9 . and no highlights package

Backward step apparently,
that could change apparently as Ten could get some games
Old 1 Apr 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3522657)   #1234
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
that could change apparently as Ten could get some games
most likley still 4 though 2 at ten, 2 at Seven
Old 1 Apr 2015, 23:39 (Ref:3522898)   #1235
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC boss explains why he refused a pay-TV media deal

Touring Cars WorldApril 2, 2015

BRITISH TOURING Car Championship head honcho Alan Gow said remaining on free-to-air TV has been crucial for his series.
The Aussie expat revealed he was approached by British pay-TV provider Sky Sports in the mid-90s but opted to remain on free-to-air in a deal he feels was better for the sport.
“I had an approach from Sky Sports (UK equivalent of Fox Sports),” he revealed to AA. “An Australian guy who used to run Sky Sports (industry legend Sam Chisolm) wanted to take over the rights to the BTCC (from the BBC) and I’ve often said I could’ve spent the rest of my life living on the beach in Barbados with the money he was going to give me – but it would have screwed the BTCC. So I’ve always taken the decision that I want eyeballs rather than money. So that’s what we do. And it’s the same all round the world.
“We’ve done some fantastic TV deals around the world. We announced a big one a couple of weeks ago. We’re now on CBS in America. We’ve never had that sort of coverage before but that’s because it was free (to CBS); we don’t make any money out of it. I just want eyeballs. It’s the same strategy I used back in the ’90s.
“If we went away from free-to-air to pay-TV, I would be damaging the championship for short-term gain and I don’t want to do that.”
Gow would not be drawn on comparisons to V8 Supercars following its switch to a dual pay-tv and free-to-air model.
“I’m not privy to their business model,” he said. “My business model is totally different to theirs. And they have a different business model regarding owning events and everything else. My business model is a lot simpler, so I can’t take a view on what V8s are doing.”
The BTCC is broadcast on ITV’s motorsport channel, ITV4, with a highlights package on the lead channel as well as encore screenings. The events are also streamed online.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 02:29 (Ref:3522920)   #1236
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
“If we went away from free-to-air to pay-TV, I would be damaging the championship for short-term gain and I don’t want to do that.”
The biggest difference between BTCC and V8SC approaches
Old 2 Apr 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3522926)   #1237
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the point is, the pay TV deal should not have compromised the FTA coverage.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 04:20 (Ref:3522928)   #1238
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I think the biggest point is that Gow would not be "drawn on comparisons to V8 Supercars" because he is "not privy to his their business model"

But the fountains of wisdom (as oppose to knowledge) on here are happy to make their conclusions

Gow is a smart man
Old 2 Apr 2015, 04:49 (Ref:3522932)   #1239
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on everything. I should've run that post by you first.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 05:00 (Ref:3522935)   #1240
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on everything. I should've run that post by you first.

or maybe just read the article
Old 2 Apr 2015, 06:09 (Ref:3522940)   #1241
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Either way about one third of the eyeballs on Symmons 2014 compared to 2013 can't be reassuring for sponsors.The terrible numbers for Symmons compared to Malaysia F1 can't be comforting for Foxtel either.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 07:12 (Ref:3522958)   #1242
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why is none of the anger towards seven ?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226554657715
Quote:
The two-year deal, in which Seven agreed to pay about $18 million a year in upfront annual fees, represented a "major haircut" for the sport, according to an insider.
Seven paid $28m under the previous three-year agreement, which expired last month.
The V8 digital rights will be auctioned in the coming weeks, and Seven is said to be keen to win those as well.
Television executives said second-tier sports had entered a deflationary environment, as advertising revenue had become persistently weak.
Under the latest deal, an ad revenue sharing mechanism will be activated after Seven recoups its incremental production costs.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3522971)   #1243
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
7 paid way over the odds in it's contract beginning 2007.They realised this very quickly and the renewal which was the contract ending last year was always going to be for a much smaller amount if it was going to make any commercial sense.The only way V8SA was going to get back to the fantasy figures of the 2007 contract was to go to Foxtel which will always pay a premium over FTA for sport.
The only thing people should be angry towards 7 in this is that the first contract gave people involved in V8SA a delusional sense of their commercial worth.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3522979)   #1244
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Why should any anger be directed at 7?

They made an offer, V8SC accepted?

Should 7 have just given V8SC more money because they are nice? This is business afterall we keep getting told.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3522981)   #1245
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the point is, the pay TV deal should not have compromised the FTA coverage.

This.

Everyone would have been happy with a pay tv deal that showed every practice, quali and race live, plus a FTA deal that had all races live. Even if it meant qualifying was only highlights with a ton of channel 10 promo puff pieces and commercials thrown in.

It will be damaging in the long term trying to attract sponsors for a full season under the current deal. Myself, I never bothered watching the 'highlights' package last weekend. Same with the F1 too.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3522996)   #1246
Umai Naa
Veteran

I'd never expect FTA to be entirely live (save for the so-called marquee events), but at least show the races in full even if they're delayed an hour or so.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 10:49 (Ref:3523002)   #1247
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd never expect FTA to be entirely live (save for the so-called marquee events), but at least show the races in full even if they're delayed an hour or so.
Foxtel's standard MO is locking things away. 241 million reasons the FTA coverage had to be degraded.

Bog standard monopoly maintenance.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 12:48 (Ref:3523045)   #1248
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
or maybe just read the article
No need to be rude. We all read the article and it clearly says there is a choice between viewers and money.

V8s have chosen the latter. That may or may not be wise, and your viewpoint on that at the moment will depend on whether you have - or want - access to the coverage. People are entitled to disagree with you on that. The new coverage suits you, it doesn't suit others. Live with it.

Ultimately, that will depend on whether V8s get what they want out of it, which is long term increase in income, and whether lack of free access damages that by failing to bring in sufficient new viewers. From Foxtel's point of view, it will depend on whether it brings new viewers to their platform or helps them retain existing ones. What is good for one may not be good for the other, of course.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3523247)   #1249
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the industry experts are all forecasting the demise of TV either FTA or paid as a major information medium within a fairly short term and sport TV revenue is going to suffer so promoters such as SC are most probably seeing the last big money deal they will get from TV. Where does the money come from if these type of deals do not continue? This is most probably the biggest issue promoters are going to have to deal with as sponsorship drops away at the same time. SC are not alone in this dilemma, every facet of motor sport is suffering headlined by F1's problems. Heads stuck in the sand won't do any good but you can be sure that denial will continue.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e46dc7a4-b...#axzz3WCrCWgke

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/co...-of-tv-2013-11
Old 3 Apr 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3523306)   #1250
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I decided to give the Foxtel 14 day free trial a go bearing in mind that I don't watch any other sports on the TV,
I cancelled after the Tasmanian round simply because it was economically unviable as it was going to cost me about $50 per weekend of racing and the V8s aren't worth that sort of money , a lot of other stuff came with the Foxtel package but there was very little that interested me so for me it was a no brainer to cancel - I'll watch whatever happens to be shown on FTA on Saturday and Sunday afternoons , however I won't break into any evening programs to watch a Highlights package , Nearing the end of interest for me and that's after more than 50 years of following the ATCC / V8s.