Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Dec 2004, 03:56 (Ref:1171948)   #1
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Improvements

With the 2004 season over, what improvements do you think they could make to make the 2005 season even better?

I would like to see the points system changed to something simpler. Something close to the Motogp system would be good.

I hope next year we will see Ford teams other than just SBR win.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1172016)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too would like to see a decent points system. More actually passing on the track would be nice too, not in the pits like it is now.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 07:50 (Ref:1172024)   #3
DarthFalcon
Racer

Australia
Yavin
DarthFalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see points in the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system - it would be easy to follow and points would mean something, rather than the 'everybody wins a prize' system that we've got now. And you'd want to pass for a point!!

Pit stops make for more interesting and varied racing, but diving in after 3 laps isn't the best thing, and to casual observer it looks really silly. Maybe longer races where you'd need to refuel and change tyres would be better...We might end up seeing different fuel strategies like F1...
Old 6 Dec 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1172050)   #4
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota and Mitsubishi works teams joining in.
All aero devices not available on road cars removed.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1172140)   #5
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about removing compulsory pit stops. Why do we need them, why can't you just pit if and when you need to? With the changes they have made (and I beleive they are making over the next two years) everybody will have the same equipment (in terms of tires and brake pads) so it will up to the drivers and engineers to set the car up, if the driver doesn't want to have to pit.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1172145)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
because then we watch a race where every one is running around on dud tyres, with slow laps and even less likely to pass
Old 6 Dec 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1172153)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the changes to practice times - how much effect will this have on the teams??

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1172183)   #8
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting rid of Compulsory Pit-stops wouldn't make that much of a difference to the racing, instead of putting on some shagged-out tyres for a couple of laps they would just put the best tyres on at the start.

I would like to see all of the rounds have the same format, ideally a 100k race and a 200k race. This would allow someone who has a problem in one race a chance to still score points. The 200k race would force teams to re-fuel, they should be allowed to do this at any time during the race. As part of this I would also like to see Sandown and Bathurst become stand-alone events. The enduros are just too different from the other races to be allowed to affect the championship
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:07 (Ref:1173005)   #9
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine
Getting rid of Compulsory Pit-stops wouldn't make that much of a difference to the racing, instead of putting on some shagged-out tyres for a couple of laps they would just put the best tyres on at the start.

I would like to see all of the rounds have the same format, ideally a 100k race and a 200k race. This would allow someone who has a problem in one race a chance to still score points. The 200k race would force teams to re-fuel, they should be allowed to do this at any time during the race. As part of this I would also like to see Sandown and Bathurst become stand-alone events. The enduros are just too different from the other races to be allowed to affect the championship
Yep, what he said.

Except I'd like to see 3 races: One, 15-20-lap sprint screamer - no pit stops with 20% of points up for grabs.

Then a 100km race with a tyre stop for 30% of points

Then a 200-250km race with tyre and fuel stops for 50% of points.

Varies the racing, gives the TV 3 starts/finishes for excitement and I think the fans tend to prefer that rather than just one long race.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:37 (Ref:1173018)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars - 2005

Change 1 =

Only the Top Ten score points.

First: 50
Second: 40
Third: 30
Fourth: 25
Fifth: 20
Sixth: 15
Seventh:10
Eighth: 8
Ninth: 5
Tenth: 2

Change 2 =

The same race format across all rounds (except Sandown and Bathurst)

Saturday: Shootout + Race 1 (100km Sprint Race - No Pitstops)

Sunday: Race 2 (300km Grand Prix Distance Race - Pitstops Allowed but no compulsory pit windows)

** I would love to see one full distance grand prix race on the Sunday, and a smaller sprint race on the saturday afternoon ** Your thoughts on this??

(For Bathurst and Sandown, it would be just the big race on the Sunday, no Saturday Sprint)

Change 3 =

Championship Points are not awarded each race, but only at the end of each round.
The computer will aggregate the results from the two races to then decide on the round winner/placings... it is from this that championship points will be allocated.
This creates less confusion, as instead of having to tally the points during every race, you only have to at the end of each round.

This means that, for example, if Marcos finished 1sec in front of Skaife in race 1, Skaife would need to finish 1 sec on front of Marcos in race 2 to beat him for the round.

This keeps drivers on their toes, and also stops drivers backing off to conserve the championship.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1173028)   #11
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about making it that cars can only re-fuel in a racing pit stop, not between the races. So, do you start the first race on full tanks & hope to make it through the weekend, or go half tank & plan a pit stop in race 2, or what.
Introduce more tactics into theevent.
Oh, and no re-fueling at compulsary pit stops.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1173030)   #12
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguy
Toyota and Mitsubishi works teams joining in.
All aero devices not available on road cars removed.
Sounds like you want them to look like Saloon Cars there Bigguy and what with the comments about Toyota and Mitsubishi, I recall a conversation I had with someone from Sydney at PI the other week

Wasn't you now was it??
Old 7 Dec 2004, 03:55 (Ref:1173041)   #13
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I wouldnt mind seeing Toyota and Mitsubishi (hell any manufacturer) be allowed to race in the Konica series, but i would keep the main series for just Holden and Ford.

It would add some interest to the second tier instead of just the "this is the car Anthony Tratt raced to 21st at Bathurst in 2001"
Old 7 Dec 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1173091)   #14
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would like to see F1 points system used, and sandown and bathurst as stand alone races. While we are at it remove compulsory fuel stops but limit the fuel tank size so a stop has to be made to finish the race. Changing tyres is optional but if you are stopping for fuel you may as well change them while your in.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1173142)   #15
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170
How about making it that cars can only re-fuel in a racing pit stop, not between the races. So, do you start the first race on full tanks & hope to make it through the weekend, or go half tank & plan a pit stop in race 2, or what.
Introduce more tactics into theevent.
Oh, and no re-fueling at compulsary pit stops.
Actually quite like your idea Gaz but would be hard to police. The cars would almost have to be parc fermed after each race....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1173146)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
If they can Parc Ferme f1, they can do it to the v8's
Old 7 Dec 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1173938)   #17
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
You couldn't parc ferme the cars after a race from a safety point of view. They only Parc Ferme F1 after qualifying in which the cars run 6 laps with only 2 at full speed with no close contact with other cars. That's a totally different situation from doing it after 20-30 laps of hard racing with plenty of panel damage and who knows what components on their way out.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1174279)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. The old F1 pointscore (10-6-4-3-2-1) put in use - If your finishing further down you don't deserve points, and it will put the emphasis on finishing at the front, and not on consistency.

2. Apart from Sandown and Bathurst, a standard single race format at each round. Just the one race. AVESCO are always on about attracting the casual viewer. One race and one winner is much easier for them to understand. Try explaining to them that Russel Ingall won the Symmons Plains round, but didn't win any of the races.

3. Lose the shoot-outs except for Bathurst, and only leave it their for traditional purposes. All-in qualifying is much more of an art. Picking the right time to go for a time to avoid the traffic, those qualifying wars, can't happen nowadays, as whatever you do in it is rendered useless once the shootout starts.

4. Dump the compulsory pitstops. How is it serious motorsport if you are changing tyres when they don't need changing? It's just a cover for the lack of passing on the track. Exactly how was Rick Kelly passing 3 cars due to pistops at Symmons exciting??? Wouldn't it have been more exciting if he had done it on the actual track, like what racing is meant to be about?
Old 8 Dec 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1174340)   #19
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
2. Apart from Sandown and Bathurst, a standard single race format at each round. Just the one race. AVESCO are always on about attracting the casual viewer. One race and one winner is much easier for them to understand. Try explaining to them that Russel Ingall won the Symmons Plains round, but didn't win any of the races.
I think multiple shorter races are more likely to attract the casual viewer than one that lasts two hours. As for winning a round without winning a race, simple, don't crown a round winner. Have a podium for each race, its the way its done in the BTCC. It just means that Marcos will collect even more trophies!

Last edited by woodbine; 8 Dec 2004 at 13:26.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1176007)   #20
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine
I think multiple shorter races are more likely to attract the casual viewer than one that lasts two hours. As for winning a round without winning a race, simple, don't crown a round winner. Have a podium for each race, its the way its done in the BTCC. It just means that Marcos will collect even more trophies!
Then it become harder to promote, because your promoting three winners instead of one, and everyone would be asking well which of the three is more of a winner than the others?

Keep round winners and a variable format. Not all tracks can run long races.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1176047)   #21
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
What tracks... with the exception of i think Barbagello... cannot run longer races ??
Old 10 Dec 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1176116)   #22
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy couldn't this year because of a cock up.

Can Symmons hold the entire field at once if neccessary?
Old 11 Dec 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1176927)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
What tracks... with the exception of i think Barbagello... cannot run longer races ??
Hidden Valley does not have the room for fuel stops, and with the open corporate area above the cars, BBQs would be the order of the day if a fire was to occur.

Last edited by sizzle; 11 Dec 2004 at 11:30.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1176983)   #24
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
How many laps of Hidden Valley would the cars be able to run on a full tank of Fuel ?

V8 Supercars will always run a high point score. This issue was bought up on V8 Superstars a couple of years ago. It was stated then that sponsors would rather hear we scored 60 Points at the Symmonds Plain Round then we didnt score any points at all.

I know it sounds silly (for those of us who understand), but the majority of the people who organise these sponsorships are not racing fanatics, and they just look at the points on their face value.

if you did a Formula 1 pointscore of 10-6-4-3-2-1, u would find that teams like Dynamik and Tasman would hardly score points for the round at all.

I beleive that only the top 10 cars should get points tho, and none of this 192 ****.

Make it:
1st = 100
2nd = 75
3rd = 50
4th = 40
5th = 30
6th = 25
7th = 20
8th = 15
9th = 10
10th = 5

and bonus points each round for:
Most Laps Led = 10 points
Pole Position = 10 points
Fastest Lap of the race = 10 points

Preferably each round should have one sprint race on the saturday afternoon and one grand prix distance race on the Sunday.

Maybe the Barbagallo and Darwin rounds could have two races on the Sunday (both of which burn through a full tank of fuel, this would stretch teams economy wise).

A computer (suppied by big pond!!) would show a running score of who is in front for the round regulary on the screen, so the viewers will be informed of the race at hand, and also the effect it has on the round standings (which is how the points are allocated).

It needs to be simplfied, and people need to be able to understand the system with ease.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 00:12 (Ref:1177321)   #25
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should award points for the Top Ten Shootout, then the quickest gets awarded for being the quickest!

Any race up to 300ks is a pure sprint race to the flag, no CPS, make it an optional time when to pit! This stops the rediculous 2nd lap charge into the pits, which one day will cause carnage!
AT ALL TIMES NO PITTING UNDER YELLOWS!

OR Only have Pitstops, on a long distance type race anything over say, 300ks make those races points go towards a Teams Championship similar to the old ManufacturerChampionships ! Once again dont have pit windows make it optional !

With the points , in a co-driver situation, the drivers get half to go towards the actual drivers championship .

A driver from TEAM A wins the driver championship! and hopefully TEAM B wins the Teams championship! The team gets recognition for a team effort well done ! Hopefully that is a clear as mud.