Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3367079)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most spectacular hillclimb car?

Hey folks,

I doubt many of you do, but some may know that I run a show called the Retro Rides Gathering. We're moving to Shelsley Walsh this year after three successful years at Prescott.

Each year we have specially invited guest cars at our event. This year I've got some really special things already confirmed, and in order to start out at Shelsley with a great line up I figured I'd see if we could pull in one or two of the most spectacular hillclimb cars as well. I figure any of the top 12 run off would be great from a "This is hillclimbing at the top level" point of view, so one of them is a given (if any are willing to come to our event). However we do have a penchant for the ludicrous at The Gathering (we've had 1000+Bhp Audi Quattro from the Netherlands, Chaparrals, Genuine Berg Cup cars from Germany and various other extreme cars), so we'd like a companion 'spectacular' hill climb car.

I figure Nic Mann's Mannic Beattie is the obvious choice... are there other cars I should be aware of as well? If you could pick to see any car take to the hill what would it be? (even better if the car is still in one piece).
Old 20 Feb 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3370435)   #2
HoTWire
Racer

250 views and no one has an opinion??

Okay, well does anyone know Michael Haig and his Bentley MKVI special? I remember seeing it running at Brighton Speed Trials many year's ago when I was but a tiny youth (early 90's/late 80's) and it blew me away. I know it was out and about a couple of year's back.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3370442)   #3
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok I'll chuck something in as no one else seems to be biting. Despite living near Harewood, I'm no expert on hill climb cars but I love watching some of the European Hill Climb stuff on You Tube. Now one or two of those cars are pretty spectacular. There was Plasa's BMW's but sadly he's no longer with us. There was/is also somebody using an older Merc 180 with a huge V8 lump up front, which looks like its along similar lines to the Plasa Beemers. One of my favourites though has to be the Group B Lancia Delta S4. It looks like its been heavily modified from its original spec. I've no idea who the driver is but if you could get that over, now that would be good. Of course the Obvious one would be Loeb's Pikes Peak 208, I'm sure they'd be happy to bring that over for you, not! UK wise I'm struggling a bit though.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3370482)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has anything Stuck Sr driven been up Shelsley Walsh? That might be taking this question into dream land.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3370488)   #5
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tico Martini's Martini Special (Triumph 650 twin) rushing through the trees at Great Auclum in the early 60s.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3370498)   #6
HoTWire
Racer

Thanks for the replies folks,

AndyS, yes indeed we do love our Gruppe H hillclimb action too. We were the first people to bring over a Berg Cup car to the UK to go up one of our hills in 2011 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqo8UcWJwA (about 30 seconds into that video is Ralf Kroll's Golf ). The Lancia Delta S4 is Bruno Ianniello and is a total beast of a car, good shout on that one. Hmmm Loeb's 208 sounds like a challenge, and I like a challenge

Adam43 : Stuck Sr as in pre-war Stuck Sr? (in which case the BRM V16 would be top of my list). Hans-Joachim Stuck would be a Group C car for me for sure, but I've been trying to get one and it is hard because we clash with a big meet at Zandvoort .. maybe a BMW M1 is the way forwards...

Alan Brown : That is an interesting choice... Is it out and about or am I going to be doing some serious hunting for that? Information seems scarce on his early cars, although I have found some results mentioning it.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3370617)   #7
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTWire View Post
Thanks for the replies folks,

AndyS, yes indeed we do love our Gruppe H hillclimb action too. We were the first people to bring over a Berg Cup car to the UK to go up one of our hills in 2011 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqo8UcWJwA (about 30 seconds into that video is Ralf Kroll's Golf ). The Lancia Delta S4 is Bruno Ianniello and is a total beast of a car, good shout on that one. Hmmm Loeb's 208 sounds like a challenge, and I like a challenge
Now I have had time to think, UK wise there are the old Special Saloons and Mod Sports cars, some of which are active again thanks to the CSCC. Also I seem to remember a 6R4 that had been re shelled with a newer Rover Metro body?

Going back to the Euro Hill Climb, other than You Tube I can find b****r all web sites or information on it. Gruppe H, I assume this relates to modified cars? I have no idea on the class structure.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3370621)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most spectacular would be someone like Norbert Singer, Faggioli or someone on a Euro round, the commitment these guys have or had was staggering!

I find the VSCC stuff is perhaps most spectacular, watching some hideous handling GN or something with a 2 litre flat twin being driven properly is similarly exciting!

What I dont like is nedless bike engined cars and Caterhams, just boring to watch, great to drive no doubt, but really in the UK we are starved by not being able to close roads, if teh MSA had more balls we could have some awesome hillclimbs here, but they are too weak to try.

If you look at something like St Ursanne, Rechberg or Wolfsburg, they are proper open road blasts, not some back yard piece of narrow road.

Takes skill to do both dont get me wrong, I am not belittling what we have here, but in comparison, well there is no comparison speed and challenge wise.

Most spectacular hill car ever? Maybe Millens Tacoma ot the Suzuki, Loebs Citroen? BVatanens 405, Rohrls S1 E2
Old 22 Feb 2014, 22:59 (Ref:3371137)   #9
Alan Brown
Racer

Quote:
Alan Brown : That is an interesting choice... Is it out and about or am I going to be doing some serious hunting for that? Information seems scarce on his early cars, although I have found some results mentioning it.
Has been out thus century in the hands of its second owner (for 40 years).

http://guernseypress.com/news/2003/0...agic-lives-on/
http://guernseypress.com/news/2005/0...ck-in-martini/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevela...n/photostream/
Old 24 Feb 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3371503)   #10
HoTWire
Racer

AndyS : Ahh yes that Rover Metro Bodied 6R4, I had a hunt around and found info, so thanks for that.. I'll see if I can track down the owners/drivers as that is certainly spectacular.

In terms of the Berg Cup/Berg Rennen, Gruppe H is the class that has all the crazy aero and wild engine specs. The nearest event to the UK is in Eschdorf which is on May 3rd and 4th : http://calendar.retro-rides.org/?ai1...instance_id=76 ... you can see some photos here : http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/...ce-to-the-top/ ... I know a fair few UK folk head over to watch it.

chunder : the GN J.A.P has always been a favourite of mine, the way that gets thrown into corners is amazing.

I fully agree on closed road hillclimb vs. our shorter technical hillclimbs, it would be great to have a spread of both. Is hard to do justice to something like a Pike Peak car when you are giving them a 30-40 second blast.

Alan : Thanks for the links, that has given me something to go on
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3371539)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if anyone fancies a trek over to Escdorf count me in!

Sounds awesome, and having seen footage forthe last few years looks a beautiful place too!
Old 24 Feb 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3371571)   #12
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
AndyS : Ahh yes that Rover Metro Bodied 6R4, I had a hunt around and found info, so thanks for that.. I'll see if I can track down the owners/drivers as that is certainly spectacular.

In terms of the Berg Cup/Berg Rennen, Gruppe H is the class that has all the crazy aero and wild engine specs. The nearest event to the UK is in Eschdorf which is on May 3rd and 4th : http://calendar.retro-rides.org/?ai1...instance_id=76 ... you can see some photos here : http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/...ce-to-the-top/ ... I know a fair few UK folk head over to watch it.
Thanks for that. I have now found the Berg Cup website but the only one I can find for European Championship is the FIA one, which is poor and tells you naf all. I'd love to head to Eschdorf but all that going away to see events is very much on the back burner these days, due to a three year old in the house!

Other cars that spring to mind are mainly along Group B lines. There's a couple of seemingly heavily modified RS200's that do Pikes Peak that are UK based. Owned by Mark Rennison and the Doran family (both of Rallycross fame). One of my rare forays to Harewood in recent years revealed an old Audi Quattro that again looked as though it may be a bit modified (could be wrong on that though). I seem to recall the driver's name possible being Keith Edwards (again may be wrong on that). I think he may have a website, I'll check later. There was also an open top sports car that I can't remember its name. I've got Spa V8 in my head, but I may have imagined that! If I remember rightly it was running in the Sports Libre class.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3371575)   #13
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Edit to my last post. The mists of time are clearing slightly and I think it was Spa V10 Judd not V8.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3371579)   #14
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are right about Keith Edwards. He runs a Quattro in the British Championship, and it is spectacular.
A car I miss from a few years ago is Graeme Wight Jr's Predator V10. Spine tingling noises, even if it never really ran very well.

Back to the Audis, Simon Bainbridge used to run an Audi S2 Coupe at Harewood which was heavily modified, but I think that was broken up. He replaced it with a self built, spaceframe 'TT' (about the only TT bits in it are the door handles), with a mid-mounted S6 twin turbo V8 and 4wd. He has won a couple of British sprint champinship Formula Libre titles with that. That would be a nice addition for you!
Old 24 Feb 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3371588)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
THe rennison car I dont think is owned by MArk, but has been around for a while.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3371662)   #16
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Brain's going overtime now trying to think of other cars! Mike E came up with a great suggestion in the TT. Saw that at Croft doing a sprint a fair few years ago and it was pretty awesome.

I can't think of one off the top of my head but some of those heavily modified mini's from the mod sports days are worth the entry. Not sure whether any are active in UK hill climbing these days. There is one active in the CSCC championship and I think the owner posts on here.

Of course you could always try and get Andy Burton to bring along the 306 Cosworth. He can't rally it anymore as some bright spark at the MSA banned it! He also used to have an Alfetta with a Ferrari engine in it, which I believe he still owns.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3371665)   #17
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Old 24 Feb 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3371684)   #18
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This ran at Harewood a few years ago. A sensational piece of work.
I never saw their V8 Reliant Kitten though...

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/websi...ew_project.htm
Old 25 Feb 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3371918)   #19
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
There is a Reliant Kitten active in the CSCC Special Saloons Championship. Again the owner posts on here. I seem to think there are some photos of it in the Special Saloon section. It possible may have its own thread as well. That would be an interesting car to see.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3373551)   #20
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
That six wheeled Cart thing from the Channel Islands?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3373779)   #21
Juicetin
Rookie

Juicetin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big Quattros...Mike Edwards and Mick Harriman.
Roger Banks Audi S4 twin turbo, its been missing for a few years.
I'd like to see the Ken Sims Metro 6R4 twin turbo (ex Will Gollop car) back on the scene...its been too long.
Mike Endean Gould Puma...closed car record holder at Shelsley, also been missing for a few years.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3373786)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
THe rennison car I dont think is owned by MArk, but has been around for a while.
That's the Mach 2 racing car - was driven by Stig Blomqvist and then Mark more recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Of course you could always try and get Andy Burton to bring along the 306 Cosworth.
That's a great shout - that is one of the most impressive cars I've seen (sight and sound).
Old 3 Mar 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3374374)   #23
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
That six wheeled Cart thing from the Channel Islands?
Not sure we're thinking of the same car. The one I'm thinking of is owned by somebody who is in the RAF so moves around a lot. I've got the name Si Frowen in my head, again I might have got that wrong!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3374397)   #24
Alan Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Not sure we're thinking of the same car. The one I'm thinking of is owned by somebody who is in the RAF so moves around a lot. I've got the name Si Frowen in my head, again I might have got that wrong!
That is the Reliant Kitten special saloon you mentioned earlier.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3374398)   #25
HoTWire
Racer

Woo, hello, apologies for the radio silence on my part, things got suddenly very very hectic!

Great to see some more suggestions in here. Firstly re: Closed Road European style Hillclimbs it would be worth reading and responding to this : http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140899

Andy Burton's 306 is phenomenal, but a little bit to new for us. He is also apparently currently working on a new car which I think is coming out this year. The Alfa on the other hand would be great if he still owns and runs it. I'll do some digging.

John Beardmore is an old friend of Retro Rides and we've been waiting to see his brother Robin's new Minor build. John's car now lives in Scotland somewhere. The Kitten was sold a fair few year's back and is still floating around. I believe it isn't the only V8 kitten around either. I remember seeing run at Brighton Speed Trials years before I knew John

Juicetin those are some interesting cars for me to try and track down.

I'm going to drop Mach2Racing an email, their RS200 isn't playing around is it!!

I've seen videos of at least one six wheeler single seater running at Shelsley I'm guessing this is one of the ones mentioned, it certainly looks eccentric and quick.

From this thread I've got at least a couple of year's of cars to chase already. Now I just need to work out if I have any way of contacting folk. I think I'd REALLY like to get Nic Mann's Mannic Beattie this year for sure, but he is one of those internet untouchable folk so far...