Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jun 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3738033)   #1
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2018 Eastern Creek Big Bash...

Supercars Big Bash style meeting at Sydney Motorsport Park

Good on Supercars for looking at trying different stuff, and good to see them taking it to SMP, its a great facility.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3738035)   #2
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More here

I wonder if there's a chance that this would be their one and only trip to SMP in 2018?
Old 2 Jun 2017, 00:49 (Ref:3738036)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
More here

I wonder if there's a chance that this would be their one and only trip to SMP in 2018?
with some of the other rumoured events i suspect it would be
Old 2 Jun 2017, 02:25 (Ref:3738044)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Good on Supercars for looking at trying different stuff, and good to see them taking it to SMP, its a great facility.
I hope they can figure this idea out, it has merit, despite the challenges.

I also love SMP, but for some reason as a spectator venue it has just never hit the spot.

Turn 1 is a real spectacle, but I just feel like recently Supercar racing there has never felt as exciting as other classes, or early Supercar races.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 03:23 (Ref:3738047)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
I'll leave the quality of racing at the creek aside, but I have photos from ten years ago where turn 1 and the amphitheater of turn 2 were both packed. So oddly ten years ago it was a good place to watch racing but now it's not? I'm not sure the mystery of the disappearing Supercar crowds of SMP can be blamed on the track, it's locations or it's facilities
Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3738066)   #6
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll leave the quality of racing at the creek aside, but I have photos from ten years ago where turn 1 and the amphitheater of turn 2 were both packed. So oddly ten years ago it was a good place to watch racing but now it's not? I'm not sure the mystery of the disappearing Supercar crowds of SMP can be blamed on the track, it's locations or it's facilities
Having a second event in close proximity at Olympic Park wouldn't have helped crowds, that's when the slide started.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3738068)   #7
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
More here

Could be very possible. I have had confirmation last night that QR and Winton aren't going anywhere from the calendar. Following Wintons upgrades last year they signed another multi year contract and QR was signed on with Gold Coast and Townsville last year when the deal was done. Also the expansion for QR is a trial for V8s too.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3738071)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Having a second event in close proximity at Olympic Park wouldn't have helped crowds, that's when the slide started.
Almost like the decline of audience at SMP was used by the organisers to leverage the Homebush event
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3738098)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
the crowds were sliding before that, they used that as one of the selling points to get Homebush off the ground.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3738228)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The idea of a race under lights, possibly at SMP has been mooted for 2 or 3 years now - clearly it's expensive and something of a punt financially, which seems to be why it hasn't happened yet.

Using the short track at SMP would make sense from an event cost point of view and if it can be done in a smart way, should be good for fans too. Let's see if it happens this time.

I don't think that anyone REALLY knows why getting crowds to SMP has been an issue - long before Homebush of course, Oran Park was there and would get a great crowd for a V8 race and across town Eastern Creek would be a much smaller crowd - same "show", same ticket prices etc. Whilst there are plenty of theories held by plenty of people, no-one actually knows for certain and discussions about crowd sizes and the reasons for them at different venues end up becoming a meaningless circle with no definitive answers.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3738446)   #11
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the proposal is to simply compress the race meeting into a shorter time frame then Supercars are missing the point.

Just as Twenty/20 showcases the skills of the players in ways a normal game if cricket does not this concept needs to do the same for Supercars.

Some ideas.

The night begins with drag racing. Points are awarded to set the grid for later in the night.

This is followed by a slalom course pitting with two drivers competing against each other. Points are again awarded.

Next is drifting. With more points awarded.

Might even consider a go to whoa.

The night concludes with a race. One hour in duration. On every third lap the last car is flagged off.

Some of these ideas might make the purist uncomfortable but the aim is to showcase the skills of the drivers in a unique format.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3738711)   #12
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have some interesting ideas there but I don't think a gymkhana is going to cut it.

What would be more apt analogy is if the cars had more horsepower, and more grip, or a "push to pass" or something different that made for more action than regular racing.

You do wonder what could be the motorport equivalent of the power plays in 20/20 though...
Old 7 Jun 2017, 06:16 (Ref:3739158)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars already have a Big Bash formula, its called the "SuperSprint" rounds.

10min qualifying, 120km races with compulsory pitstops, 200km races with minimum fuel drops etc... you could justabout fit all that within a 3hr TV window just like big bash, all you'd lose are the support races and the ability to fix the cars in between, but that would be a point of interest for the event.

Supercars in general, & SuperSprint events are a *******ised form of motor racing full of gimmicks and not a reflection of proper motor racing anyway, surely it's perfect already for a Big Bash style production?
Old 8 Jun 2017, 01:22 (Ref:3739376)   #14
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would be more apt analogy is if the cars had more horsepower, and more grip, or a "push to pass" or something different that made for more action than regular racing.

You do wonder what could be the motorport equivalent of the power plays in 20/20 though...[/QUOTE]

Joker Laps.

One penalty free bump and run per race.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3739377)   #15
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
Joker Laps.
Funny that you bring that up:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/08/...se-joker-laps/

WTCC doing it.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 02:03 (Ref:3739380)   #16
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Funny that you bring that up:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/08/...se-joker-laps/

WTCC doing it.
That's what gave me the idea.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 05:20 (Ref:3739393)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
read this as a suggestion on speedcafe

Each team is allowed to throw a bucket of oil in from of the car of its choice.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3739403)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about water thrown onto the windscreen at speed?
One team already knows how
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Jun 2017, 08:01 (Ref:3739424)   #19
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How about water thrown onto the windscreen at speed?
One team already knows how
Actually two teams, but I think the attempt by the first missed. Or Nissan made stronger windscreens.