Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:47 (Ref:845248)   #1
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Testing is Testing

A picture tells 1000 words well thats the saying .
Current testing at Barcelona is showing to be a trying time for quite a few teams . By flicking through the pics on F1-Live evey team but Sauber has had some problems

Jag
1 car towed back and 1 into a wall

Jordan
1 blow tyre and once into the wall ( big one on main straight)

Bar
1 towed back with smoke from engine cal

Renault
1 blown tyre and 1drive back with smoke from engine cal

Ferrari
1 tow back

Williams
1 tow back

Toyota
2 tow backs

what does mean ? nothing really thats what testing is for to sort out bugs but boy the Towies look busy there .
but it looks damn expensive

Last edited by Mark Webber; 21 Jan 2004 at 10:48.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 11:42 (Ref:845314)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised Jordan could afford it.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 11:43 (Ref:845316)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams have completed two full race weekend simulations - the full 800km distance without mishap. I think they are a little ahead at this moment, but that coud easily change, and probably will.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 11:52 (Ref:845321)   #4
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it looks like Williams are ahead at the moment.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:08 (Ref:845334)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes Williams are having a good test for sure that tow back happened on the 19th bar that all good .
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:22 (Ref:845350)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Reliable testing does mean one thing, they get to do the miles!

Even if the Williams were'nt quick (which they are), the fact is every mile they do is more they learn about the car. Williams are looking very good indeed.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:39 (Ref:845367)   #7
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on Williams, but Im sure JCB would have added themselves as a sponsor if given the inside track on the new nose
Old 21 Jan 2004, 12:53 (Ref:845379)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember the Prosts surprising everyone in testing, and then having a hortrible season...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:33 (Ref:845428)   #9
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference is that Williams aren't desperately trying to sign up sponsors, and so don't need to miraculously find some speed like Prost did.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:50 (Ref:845446)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
I remember the Prosts surprising everyone in testing, and then having a hortrible season...
Apart from the fact that you can't tell very much from testing, i don't see the relevance of that example. I was referring to the reliability and sheer number of laps - how do you fake that by running light?

Testing times might be relatively meaningless, but a team that puts in that many laps without problems is a team that is doing something right.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:845521)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Apart from the fact that you can't tell very much from testing, i don't see the relevance of that example.
That was exactly my point.

On the other hand, rules are different now, and the one engine rule affects those testing, when teams are trying to get reliability from the cars.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:24 (Ref:845568)   #12
Glen
Veteran

I didn't word that very accurately - the Prost example is highly relevant if we're talking about testing times, but doesn't apply when one is looking at sheer number of laps completed and amount of work carried out. You can't fake loads of work - and looking at the amount that Williams have achieved with the new car one can safely say that they seem to have an excellent package already in terms of reliability. Also, they wouldn't be doing full race simulations if the car was still a mystery to them or if the car lacked the expected speed - so I think it is possible to safely conclude that the williams is reliable and quick already.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:48 (Ref:845596)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yep. I guess Williams is in the right step, and with Michelin evolution, they appear to be the biggest challenger for Ferrari. Now is up to the drivers match the ones at the red team. For more I like to think that the Williams bosses want the championship over any other matter, it's hard to think JPM will receive equal treatment specially from BMW.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 17:12 (Ref:845620)   #14
Glen
Veteran

I don't think BMW could come into it - it is very unlikely that they woud compromise their team's chances by insisting that he has a weaker engine. Where JPM will probably lose out is later in the season when car development will have to go on without him for fear that he might be taking a little too much with him when he moves to Woking. For this reason I expect Juan to come out with all guns blazing (as if he any other style!) to try and make as much impression on the season as soon as possible - if he gets a good lead over his team-mate Williams (and BMW) will have to throw their weight behind his effort... at least they would be mad not to.

I agree about the standard at Ferrari, by the way - especially in the case of MS. If the car performance between the top three is more or less even I wouldn't bet on anyone else.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:845689)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams have been impressive but Ferrari are yet to un veil their car... so it could all change. Just takes bout a week in F1...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:35 (Ref:845715)   #16
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello tomorrow
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:35 (Ref:845716)   #17
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello tomorrow
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:35 (Ref:845717)   #18
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
opps double post

Last edited by Redblurr; 21 Jan 2004 at 18:36.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:47 (Ref:845731)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
now thats a triple post aint it...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:06 (Ref:845973)   #20
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange no one mentioned McLaren.In the new car Kimi is quick as the Williams and he set a lap record(can't remember where).On the other side I heard that DC has trouble getting into the car as its to narrow for him or is he to big for it?

The Grumpy1
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:32 (Ref:846094)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button's 1.16.62 today (Wed) at Barcelona is quick for a B.A.R. Expect an even better time from them before the weeks out...and they ain't even got the new car yet!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:39 (Ref:846105)   #22
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing what a good set of tyres will do isn't it?

The Grumpy1
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:50 (Ref:846125)   #23
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the Prost, can an F1 team test using a technically illegal car??

For someone like prost mentioned above, to use something which is illegal, but very quick would cause a lot of media interest and possible funding, at the expense of loosing time by not testing with a legal car??
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:52 (Ref:846131)   #24
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Amazing what a good set of tyres will do isn't it?

The Grumpy1
Yep!...couldn't do that on Bridgestones!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:20 (Ref:846188)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Williamp
Going back to the Prost, can an F1 team test using a technically illegal car??
No they cant. I can't recall when, but the rules were changed.

More so for the integrity of the sport. The FIA did'nt want potential sponsors getting sucked in, only to be disappointed and never return.

They can run vey light though.