Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 Apr 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3728147)   #10
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's fine, as long as you post about it from a position of not watching any of the championship, we all now how much value to attribute to any opinion you have.
Does the fact I watch it or not actually have any impact on the validity of my opinion? Is a blind man's opinion therefore automatically invalid? I would suggest otherwise.

I've usually been too busy competing myself (at a very low level) to see much of it anyway, but the aspect of show over substance has really put me off. This isn't an uncommon opinion.

BTCC is popular as it has become the reality TV of motorsport. Easy to follow, on the surface entertaining, but ultimately trash. In the 90s the series became popular due to the calibre of the participants and the standard of the cars.

BTCC is an entertainment now, almost in the same way as WWE. There's nothing wrong with that. If that is what you are looking for then great. I didn't even mind the success ballast that came in about 20 years ago, as did not affect the validity of the sporting contest. It crossed the line when it was decided to pursue the GT3 model of all cars being balanced and equal. When different cars win depending on whose had the best BOP given to them, that's when I lose interest. Give me a season like 2001 where one team wins 25 races over the fakery we suffer these days.

I used to travel the country to see this series, from Knockhill, Mondello Park to Brands Hatch, and being based in the North of England, that was a lot of travelling and expense. I'm just so sad that the state of racing is such that I'm not even that interested in going to be local round anymore.

But these things don't last forever, there will be a change at some point, just it is impossible to see when. But I do look forward to it. In the meantime I'll enjoy other series.