Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Aug 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3293646)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
2013 FIA WEC 6 Hours of São Paulo ◦◦◦ RACE THREAD

The FIA World Endurance Championship will return to action at Autódromo José Carlos Pace next weekend. After a long summer break, drivers and teams will revitalize the championship when they head down to the lively, bustling city of São Paulo, in the southern suburbs of which the race will be held on Brazil's undisputed best motor racing circuit for a six-hour sportscar race.

It is certain that teams are eager to get the show on the road again as the tragic and shocking death of Allan Simonsen still hovers over the sportscar racing family like a dark cloud blocking out the radiant Brazilian sun. Hopefully that sun will shine on São Paulo for the weekend of the race.

LMP1 sees the dropout of several competitors, including one Rebellion Racing car from Le Mans, the sole Strakka Racing HPD, and the #7 Toyota TS030 Hybrid car. With a very weak field coming into round 4, Audi Sport Team Joest should easily sweep the floor with the rest of the competition. The one remaining Toyota TS030 could have something to say about that, but it's hard to stop the Audi diesel freightrain once it starts rolling. The #12 Rebellion Racing Lola has shown some speed in qualifying, but hasn't managed a podium this year. It's Audi's race to lose at Interlagos, and expect that trend to continue throughout the remainder of the season.

LMP2, as always, remains much more of a fight than its big prototype brother class. OAK Racing comes off a successful Le Mans with hopes high, but G-Drive Racing, Pecom Racing, or Delta-ADR could have something to say about that. In the #24 OAK car is perhaps the faster LMP2 driver in the field: Frenchman Olivier Pla. Alex Brundle and David Heinemeir-Hansson are fast as well but DHH has shown some problems with keeping it on track and out of harm's way in recent times. Perhaps the more consistent car is the #35 OAK Racing car, piloted by Mexican Ricardo Gonzalez, Belgian Bertrand "Berty Breadstick" Baguette, and Englishman Martin Plowmann. However, a few weeks ago at Road America Ricardo Gonzalez showed some serious problems with keeping it neat and tidy also so his confidence could be down going into an even bigger event. Pecom Racing is definitely not the #1 favorite for the win but Pierre Kaffer and Nicolas Minassian are always fast and the Argentinian team may be looking for a win on home turf... well, almost. G-Drive remains the clear favorite going into the race with Roman Rusinov, John Martin, and Mike Conway striking the perfect balance between consistency, smoothness, endurance, and a quick pace. Also, partner team Delta-ADR have sacked Brazilian Antonio Pizzonia (who too has a hard time keeping his car on track in the various series he has raced in) and put in the very quick, and notably more consistent, Robbie Kerr in the car. However, the fact that gentleman driver Tor Graves remains behind the wheel may just put the #25 car out of contention for the win unless an excellent strategy is played.

GTE-Pro is, yet again, impossible to call. AF Corse has shown tremendous strength over the course of the year, including a win at Spa-Francorchamps in May, and they again field two GTE-Pro Ferrari 458 Italia's, and, as usual, they will be piloted by Gianmaria Bruni and Giancarlo Fisichella in the #51 and Toni Vilander and Kamui Kobayashi in the #71. Porsche AG Team Manthey comes off a win at Le Mans for the still very new Porsche 991, the new version of the iconic 911 racecar. Unlike Silverstone, Spa, and Le Mans, Team Manthey will revert to only two drivers per car, with the #91 being driven by Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz and the #92 by Jörg Bergmeister and Patrick Pilet. Aston Martin Racing will field GTE-Pro V8 Vantages yet again, with a further scrambled lineup including the notable absence of Frederic Makowiecki, who will be doing Super GT duties in Asia during the 6 Hours of São Paulo. Brazilian Bruno Senna will be perhaps the most hungry of all for victory, and his partner will be the experienced GT ace Rob Bell. The #97 (Mücke/Turner) and #99 (Senna/Bell) cars will be big factors in the overall race for the win in GTE-Pro.

GTE-Am will be just as exciting. Fernando Rees returns to Larbre after sitting out Le Mans and, like fellow countryman Bruno Senna, will be looking for a win at home in the immensely competitive and experienced Larbre Competition Corvette. The #61 AF Corse Ferrari will remain undoubtedly strong, but with the rather erratic Jack Gerber still at the controls at some point during the event, things may continue to burn out for them before they can cross the finish line. Enzo Potolicchio will yet again field the #81 8Star Motorsports Ferrari, and after going through Philipp Peter (Silverstone), Matteo Malucelli (Spa), and Jason Bright (Le Mans), the connoisseur will put the incredibly fast and intense young Italian Davide Rigon behind the wheel, who has shown unbelievable speed in both GT and Formula cars alike. Aston Martin Racing continues to be a factor, and it would be a very emotional win for the team if the #95 car, with new driver Nicki Thiim replacing Allan Simonsen, could take the checkered flag first. Roald Goethe will also be absent from the race, leaving the #96 in the hands of Jamie Campbell-Walter and Stuart Hall, both excellent and accomplished racers in their own right. Also, watch for Paolo Ruberti and Gianluca Roda to be competitive early on in the #88 Proton Competition Porsche.

‣‣‣ WEEKEND SCHEDULE ‣‣‣
Friday, August 30
StartEndRaceSessionDuration
09:00 10:05 Brazil Superbike FREE PRACTICE 1 30' + 5' + 30'
10:20 10:50 Porsche GT3 Cup Brasil FREE PRACTICE 30'
11:0512:35FIA WECFREE PRACTICE 190'
12:50 13:20 Porsche GT3 Challenge Brasil FREE PRACTICE 30'
13:35 14:40 Brazil Superbike FREE PRACTICE 2 30' + 5' + 30'
14:00 FIA WECPRE EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE
14:55 15:25 Porsche GT3 Cup Brasil FREE PRACTICE 30'
15:4017:10FIA WECFREE PRACTICE 290'
17:25 17:55 Porsche GT3 Challenge Brasil FREE PRACTICE 30'
18:00 18:30 Safety car exercice 30'

Saturday, August 31
09:00 10:05 Brazil Superbike FREE PRACTICE 3 30' + 5' + 30'
10:2011:20FIA WECFREE PRACTICE 360'
11:35 12:40 Brazil Superbike FREE PRACTICE 4 30' + 5' + 30'
12:0013:00FIA WECTYRE MARKING
12:55 13:30 Porsche GT3 Cup Brasil QUALIFYING 35'
13:45 14:20 Porsche GT3 Challenge Brasil QUALIFYING 35'
14:3515:00FIA WECQUALIFYING - LMGTE Pro & LMGTE Am25'
15:1015:35FIA WECQUALIFYING - LMP1 & LMP225'
15:40 FIA WECQUALIFYING PRESS CONFERENCE
15:50 16:00 Brazil Superbike QUALIFYING
16:0016:20FIA WECMIXED ITW ZONE - FIA WEC DRIVERS20'
16:20 16:50 Porsche GT3 Cup Brasil RACE 1 25' + 1 lap
17:10 18:00 Interlagos Classic Cars PARADE 50'

Sunday, September 1
08:00 08:27 Brazil Superbike RACE 27'
08:45 09:15 Porsche GT3 Challenge Brasil RACE 25' + 1 lap
09:30 10:00 Porsche GT3 Cup Brasil RACE 2 25' + 1 lap
10:0510:55FIA WECPIT WALK50'
10:05 10:35 VIP Hot Laps AUDI 30'
10:0510:35FIA WECAUTOGRAPH SESSION30'
10:35 10:50 Interlagos Classic Cars PARADE 15'
11:00 FIA WECPITS OPEN
11:10 FIA WECPITS CLOSED
11:15 FIA WECGRID WALK opening35'
11:40 FIA WECGRID WALK gate closing
11:52 FIA WECGRID WALK end of the track evacuation
11:57 FIA WECGREEN FLAG
12:0018:00FIA WECRACE6h + FL
18:15 FIAWECPRESS CONFERENCE

‣‣‣ ENTRY LIST ‣‣‣

‣‣‣ TICKETS ‣‣‣

‣‣‣ FRC PREDICTIONS CHALLENGE (thank you joeb!!!) ‣‣‣

‣‣‣ WEATHER FORECAST ‣‣‣

‣‣‣ TRACK MAP ‣‣‣

So keep calm and enjoy the 6 Hours of Sao Paulo! Speculate, talk about it, and you can even join our live chatroom IRC Chat. Enjoy!

Last edited by Beetle; 25 Aug 2013 at 06:38. Reason: Added WEATHER FORECAST link.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3293883)   #2
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Q&A with Thomas Holzer

1. What did you do after Le Mans? Did you go on holidays? If yes, where did you go?

After Le Mans, I went to Namibia on holidays for three weeks. Last week, I was driving a go-kart again. It was the first time after 14 years. Apart from that I am exercising a lot to be fit for the next races.

2. There will be 5 races on 3 different continents now. Do you have problems with the travelling and jet lag? What do you do to avoid jet lag?

Yes and no. A lot of people have problems with jet lag. Usually, I arrive in the country about one week before the race. So I have three to four days to acclimatise. Travelling on a plane is not a problem for me. I am lucky enough that I can sleep on the plane very well. I fasten my seat belt, close my eyes, open my eyes, unfasten my seat belt and I have arrived. It doesn’t matter how long the flight takes.

3. Which of the remaining races are you looking forward to the most?

Generally I am looking forward to every race. But this year it will be special to come to Austin. I heard it is a fantastic circuit. So Austin is the track I am looking forward to the most.

4. What is special about driving anti-clockwise like in Interlagos? Is it more difficult or do you prepare for it in a different way?

It is not really more difficult, but maybe a bit unfamiliar in the beginning. Interlagos is difficult because you don’t get a chance to rest. Even the start-finish-straight is a bend.

5. How do you keep fit for the races? Which sports do you do and like?

I do a lot of cycling and l went go-karting some days ago, which I really enjoyed. I am thinking about getting a go-kart because it is good to keep fit.

From Lotus-LMP2
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3294044)   #3
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!

Ten-Tenths Supported Spotter Guide for Sao Paulo is now online at www.spotterguides.com/2013-wec

Also includes Keiko Ihara in the #45 Oak!

Note, the guide will be updated later this week, so if you don't need it straight away, hold fire, probably till Wednesday
Old 26 Aug 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3294081)   #4
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will eurosport broadcast the race live?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3294128)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For viewers in the UK MotorsTV will have this race live in its entirety starting at 3.50pm on Sunday. Doesn't look like it's on Eurosport but it might be for other territories?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3294131)   #6
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok I found why it's not broadcasted.. There's the US OPEN on both channel. There will be a 30 min highlights on 3/09..
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3294145)   #7
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Greaves Motorsport has just revealed that their third driver in Sao Paulo will be Bjorn Wirdheim

The news can be found HERE
Old 26 Aug 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3294233)   #8
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the Lotus are running? Who is paying? This might fill in come clues as to the details of a 2014 P1.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3294331)   #9
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much looking forward to this, there is a massive gap between Le Mans and Sao Paulo that could do with filling in!

I wonder how fast the P1 times will be - as fast as 2007? Or faster than 2012, at least?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3294332)   #10
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
Greaves Motorsport has just revealed that their third driver in Sao Paulo will be Bjorn Wirdheim

Really good news for us swedish sportscar fans!
Old 26 Aug 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3294397)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Heres a short interview with Stephane Sarrazin from a week back, he says this race is what he looks forward to most...
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/q-&-a-...azin_1273.html
Old 26 Aug 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3294430)   #12
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post

It's amazing I actually haven't heard of this guy, given he's raced Formula 1, Champ Car, and Super GT successfully in the last 10 years - all of which I have followed closely during that time period! Wow... very interesting "find"...

I wish you and your team all the best, and Bjorn on his first WEC race of course. I feel like I "know" you guys now from the Le Mans visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Very much looking forward to this, there is a massive gap between Le Mans and Sao Paulo that could do with filling in!

I wonder how fast the P1 times will be - as fast as 2007? Or faster than 2012, at least?
That space needs to be filled in, definitely. Especially next year, when Le Mans is one week earlier. I'd take another European round: how about Monza or the Nurburgring GP/F? And to make it an even 10 rounds, how about Sepang in October?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3294439)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post

Ten-Tenths Supported Spotter Guide for Sao Paulo is now online at www.spotterguides.com/2013-wec

Also includes Keiko Ihara in the #45 Oak!

Note, the guide will be updated later this week, so if you don't need it straight away, hold fire, probably till Wednesday
You are in inspiration, Andy! Thank you.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3294625)   #14
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post

2012 wec pole was 1.22.3, 2007 LMS fastest lap was 1.18.7, so very likely in a dry qualifying it could also be close to 1.18.0.
No way that actual lmp1 cars could be able to run under 1.20. Very likely 2013 pole will be 1.21.X
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3294628)   #15
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
During 2011 ILMC there was the imola race, 3 weeks after le mans and 7 days after 24H of nurburgring. I think that is given 2 months to let private teams rebuild their cars and receive fresh engines. Beyond of course the necessary time to ship cars. In my opinion first 2 races should be done in brazil/US between march-april, then 4 european races in may, june, august and early september and at the end close the season in asia with a pair or races in mid october and early november. F1 before tilke madness used to do like this.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3294868)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're looking for sub-plots in the race then a couple of up and coming GT stars are making their debut in the WEC.

Nicki Thiim is third man in the Young Driver Dane Aston
Davide Rigon will be driving for 8Star
Richie Stanaway in the Dalla Lana/Lamy Aston.

I'd expect to see all three of them at Le Mans next year.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3294985)   #17
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If you're looking for sub-plots in the race then a couple of up and coming GT stars are making their debut in the WEC.

Nicki Thiim is third man in the Young Driver Dane Aston
Davide Rigon will be driving for 8Star
Richie Stanaway in the Dalla Lana/Lamy Aston.

I'd expect to see all three of them at Le Mans next year.
Stanaway is a stud... I've had the privilege to iRace with him before. Davide Rigon is arguably one of the fastest GT drivers out there today, sort of like a future Fred Makowiecki. And Nicki Thiim has had some gallant successes in Porsche Supercup. They are all great additions...

One can hope for Daniel Adam and/or Daniel McKenzie next year for AMR.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3295095)   #18
avvelenamento
Racer

Davide rigon will join 8star at interlagos and villorba team in gt-open. Let's say that soon we could see him as a pointman GT factory driver like bruni and vilander. I say "GT" factory driver because he is already a factory driver, being involved in F1 program as tester and simulator player. I guess ferrari is pushing him deeply in the GT because of malucelli fails.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3295254)   #19
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stanaway is not a debutant, he drove at Spa.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3295414)   #20
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Stanaway is not a debutant, he drove at Spa.
I think he meant debut season. But you are correct... and not a bad job he did, either...
Old 28 Aug 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3295418)   #21
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
with a further scrambled lineup including the notable absence of Frederic Makowiecki, who will be doing Super GT duties in Asia
Strange considering there's no race this weekend. I thought Mako, presumably now an Aston factory driver, would prioritize racing in WEC over Super GT media sessions or testing or whatever he will be doing in Japan. I think there might be more to this than what appears on the surface.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3295484)   #22
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikerJack View Post
Will eurosport broadcast the race live?
Audi confirmed their streaming

www.audi-motorsport.com
Old 29 Aug 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3295555)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Strange considering there's no race this weekend. I thought Mako, presumably now an Aston factory driver, would prioritize racing in WEC over Super GT media sessions or testing or whatever he will be doing in Japan. I think there might be more to this than what appears on the surface.

Firstly , he is probably under contract to the super GT team ..... secondly , he may have also signed a Porsche P1 deal .
Old 29 Aug 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3295558)   #24
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Could just be a simple contractual obligation- if his Super GT contract was already signed before he signed for AMR, then it may be a case that where the two clash, the Super GT commitment (IIRC it's a test session?) has first call on his time?
Old 29 Aug 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3295670)   #25
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Maybe it just comes down to who pays him more?

On his new twitter his bio lists his factory driver status in SGT before Aston. That's a very simplistic way of looking at his priorities.