Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2447756)   #1
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Cam videos

Guys just wanted to see what equipment people are using and the videos they have made!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2447869)   #2
Armchair Enthusiast
Rookie

United Kingdom
Towcester
Armchair Enthusiast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey there,

A company in Netherlands that sells onboard video systems has a few good videos posted on YouTube. Here is one that is a POv1 on a Westfield. I absolutely love the angle at which the camera i mounted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rBnv...e=channel_page

Of course, you can always go to the STACK website and veiw onboard footage of a Radical at Donington, shot using a STACK DVR.

http://www.stackltd.com/dvrharsh.html

The main thing to remember is that the camera is the eyes of the system. If you buy a cheap camera, or mount it poorly, any money you spend on a good recorder is completely wasted.

Matthew
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2447973)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The first one is not a good advert for the cam set up IMHO, if you can't fix the F stop.
Yes its got a good photographic quality but could be better.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Apr 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2449010)   #4
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The first one is not a good advert for the cam set up IMHO, if you can't fix the F stop.
Yes its got a good photographic quality but could be better.

well show us what you have please!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2449089)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I use a DV tape camcorder on a very adabtable mounting which is easy to fit onto the roll cage and change between cars. I was using a JVC camara but they have issues at least the older ones do, I did try a Sony DVD camera but as soon as I dropped the clutch at the start of the race it turned itself off because of the vibration. As the JVC packed up I just borrowed my daughters Pansonic DV camera for Thruxton and was delighted with the results. You can pick up a 2nd hand DV camera but steer clear of JVC as they have several issues as I found out. Thruxton footage here with the Panasonic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lILa5sSesfI Compare that to the JVC here (take no notice of the pixalisation thats was due to Youtube limits at the time I uploaded it but note how the picture breaks up at high revs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-lL...eature=related
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2449705)   #6
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
twisted,
You pays yer money, so what do you want?
Broadcast quality? A record of the race to match with telemetry? Or just to rerun the race for fun and to revise the (very few, of course!) mistakes you made?

Most small digital cameras, that are sold for stills, will take video. The duration of the recording depends on the amount of memory in the camera. Mine has half a Mbyte and that allows 40 minutes. Sound quality is not good - the noise level overwhelms the in-camera microphone. I'm trying foam around the camera to see if that helps.

Oh, and as Al says, videos posted on YouTube are robbed of quality and resolution by their software. The longer your video, the more it is compressed.

Here's one of mine with the tiny digital camera; a lap of the 'Ring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm3zBsNHN8g

John
Old 18 May 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2464761)   #7
blackfalcon
Racer

blackfalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a chasecam and the quality is brilliant.
Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/blackfalcon01

The earlier ones were recorded with a sony mini dvd, while the trackside footage is Hi8
The quality isn't great on Youtube but with an increased allowence of late the most recent ones are farily decent.
Old 19 May 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2465028)   #8
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We use a Chasecam solid state recorder with a Sony HQ1 bullet camera.

Data from our dashboard system (Racepak) is synchronised and overlaid using Trackvision software.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2465552)   #9
kartshot
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
kartshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A fellow member of 10tenths, an F3 photographer, has passed to me the link to this thread.

Although our main priority is photography of race karts (UK Easykart), we have very recently been appointed official resellers of Go-Pro video products. From reading these posts I am sure we have a potential solution for you guys.

In short, Go-Pro HERO cameras are video capture devices which store footage to a 2gb SD card, powered by AAA lithium batteries and in a water proof case. These devices are very well engineered, robust and have a very small footprint. The cameras are supplied with assorted mounts, which are expandable - for example, should the Helmet Pro kit be purchased, additional chassis or roll bar mounts can be added. You'll have change out of £200 and hours of entertainment.

If you would like to find out more and see actual footage (from various action sports) visit kartshots.com or click HERE and take a look at the GoPro products section
Old 7 Jun 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2477173)   #10
EG-nath
Rookie

United Kingdom
somerset/surrey
EG-nath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i bought a bullet cam from oregon scientific (spelling)

and it works really well on the hillclimb car, mounted externally and only vibrates on idle.

havent uploaded any videos but u can find some on youtube

"if in doubt, flat out"
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2493289)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_pzddtkn0
I decided to upload a better quality video on youtube as the original didn't do the Spa lap justice.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2493525)   #12
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use a Chasecam set up, but the only downside is that the unit itself is fairly bulky, and does not have a screen to make sure the camera's pointing in the right direction!

Swapped this for one of Dogcamsport's HQR2 solid state recorders, and am very happy with it. It's the size of a fag packet (not that I smoke), has builty-in screen for preview, takes excellent qulality footage, and has quality connections.

A sample (heavily compressed) with their HQ1 camera, here (press HQ button for best quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmeGiVbwu3s
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2496832)   #13
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a DogCam sport which I used to good effect at Brands yesterday. We used a mounting bracket provided with the camera and attached it to the rollbar - you screw the camera into it, do up the lock nut and you can set it to any angle or rotation you want. We didn't do it up enough though and the vibration of the engine was enough to rattle it upside down and eventually pointing at the floor.

I use an old JVC camcorder as the recording device, the cables are all routed through the sidepod and the quality is brilliant!