Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Feb 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3615950)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Using HANS (aka Frontal Head Restraint, FHR)

After my first rally this year, I posted about competitors NOT using their HANS/FHR properly - under Historics. But I think it applies to all motor sport, as we all have to start using them.

My message was to get someone else to check that your tethers are correctly secured, before you set off, especially when you are getting used to the fiddly clips.

See: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146452

John
Old 22 Feb 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3616681)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

UPDATE. Out on SS1 of the Red Kite Rally yesterday. Position just as bad as the previous rally but the organisers had stationed a scrutineer (actually a Technical Commissioner) at the start to check on things. Actually things were a bit of a shambles due to so many crews arriving unready to start. I estimate that at least 30% of crews had FHRs not fitted correctly, helmet straps not done up or other dangerous deficiencies.

That was in spite of the organisers having emphasised the issues at scrutineering.

Also notable was the incompatibility between the 3" belts used by most rally drivers and the HANS/Simpson versions worn which were for 2" belts. There is a whole list of other problems. I'm sure the scrutineer will be taking these up with the MSA.

Regards

Jim
Old 22 Feb 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3616692)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Further:

It was abundantly clear that most of the drivers using the Simpson Hybrid device had not followed the instructions for adjusting the tethers contained in this:

https://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/...ion_Manual.pdf

Regards

Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SimpsonHybrid_Installation_Manual.pdf (2.88 MB, 1 views)
Old 22 Feb 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3616737)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Also notable was the incompatibility between the 3" belts used by most.................
Jim can you elaborate on this please as I've never heard this before; on the contrary I've read in lots of places that it's perfectly OK to use 3" straps with HANS (which is what I do, with no apparent problems).
Old 22 Feb 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3616741)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Jim can you elaborate on this please as I've never heard this before; on the contrary I've read in lots of places that it's perfectly OK to use 3" straps with HANS (which is what I do, with no apparent problems).

We use 3" belts too - I think the issue relates to the Simpson hybrid HANS thingy rather than the 'standard' HANS device but Jim can probably clear that up.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3616745)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Yes mainly the Simpson device but some HANS (there are many models, old and new) had 3" belts resting on either of the two edges.

This may not matter but did have a tendency to make belts difficult to do up really tightly.

Regards

Jim