Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 2 May 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3068271)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
A design my friend made

Hi all!

Been a long time since I started a topic in here but here it goes.

My friend over the past year has started to show an interest in track design. We have worked together on a few projects on Bobs Track Builder on rFactor, with some really nice results. He'll often draw the main circuit, we'll then both discuss what, at a glance, works and doesn't work so well, improve it, then build it.

Here's the evolution (from first rendition through to its current state) of this current track, and i'd love to hear opinions/your own renditions/tips for him.

I suspect it's around the generic nu-skool length for a track (4.5/5km).

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
photo(1).JPG   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  

Old 2 May 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3068279)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First observation, there is a lot of circuit there for 4.5-5km

Does the arrow indicate the s/f line as well as the direction of travel ? if so there isn't much of a straight there.

The middle design is better than the one on the left. But if you use the the design on the right with the hairpin then I'd consider changing the infield "notch" at the top, T3 onwards.
Old 2 May 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3068287)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Could always count on you for some constructive criticism, SBF.

Thanks alot, man. I have linked him in to this thread.

Selby
Old 4 May 2012, 07:14 (Ref:3069127)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Any more feedback, anyone?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 5 May 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3069633)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To me your designs look like the the circuit length needs to be longer to accomodate the tighter bends on the circuit. An example is the last 2 bends before the start finish or the complex after the start finish. You will only get a better idea when it is scaled with a normal track width to see how the corner radii work out. I would agree with SBF on the middle circuit. It could be made shorter into a kart track.
Old 5 May 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3069831)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can find out the length of the start-finish straight of Le Mans 24 track, and roughly estimate the length of the rest of the circuit with a piece of string of the length of your start-finish straight, you could get a very nice endurance circuit from the original design.

Just how long would that be?
Old 7 May 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3070572)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thanks for the comments. Means alot.

We did a bit of thinking/designing, and realised we had a bit of a story to tell on this one. We decided the track was off-set on a small island (a little like Montreal), and that we'd have 2 versions of the track:

*Full circuit including the older section
*A 'GP' circuit which bypasses the dangerously elevated old section

The full circuit can be used for sports cars/GT cars/touring cars, and perhaps some seriously lower powered single seaters, but no more than that.

The GP circuit offers a Hockenheim meets Valencia street circuit style alternative, with the North Point hairpin newly built in to the circuit. It's worth noting that the GP section was all built above water on struts, so it's quite impressive.

See what you think, will have an on-board of both laps soon.

Thanks,

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
circuit de tim honks.jpg  
Old 10 May 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3072115)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Any feedback, fellas?

Selby
Old 11 May 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3072528)   #9
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
We did a bit of thinking/designing, and realised we had a bit of a story to tell on this one. We decided the track was off-set on a small island (a little like Montreal), and that we'd have 2 versions of the track:
I'm hoping it isn't to be like the rendered image in the attachment, with just the track, a marginal amount of surrounding ground, and otherwise a heap of water. I prefer even my fictional circuits to be believable, and a track raised from water and otherwise completely surrounded by nothing but water is about as far from realistic as the tracks of F-Zero which hover in the sky. Even if someone hypothetically building a track where there was previously no dry land, they would create more land than just the track, and a track that's out in the ocean only a handful of feet away from ocean at any given point is going to be vulnerable to tides and waves.
Old 11 May 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3072547)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yep, fair enough - Can easily work on that.

The circuit itself?

Selby
Old 18 May 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3075991)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, I seem to get a "permission denied" error whenever I try to increase the graphic despite being logged in. So I cannot comment due to technical difficulties. Sorry about that.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3097748)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I"d seriously cut some of the tracjk to make it a little faster and provide some overtaking points - but the skeleton for a good track seems to be there, IMHO.

My PC with all the stuff to draw and edit tracks on it dropped dead a few weeks back, so I can't provide an edit on the design. My idea would be to get rid of most of the bottom part of your BTB-image and place a longer straight there - plus eliminate or at least loosen some of the slower T's and clusters.

bio
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:03 (Ref:3098239)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
First off, a massive 'welcome back' is in order for our old friend 'bio'.

Secondly, thanks for the feedback! By our own self-admission, this isn't our best piece of work. It was after a long time of no BTB, so I desperately needed to get back in to the swing of things.

I should actually post a video of this track, because i'm not sure the overhead does it justice. The full loop is actually mega fun to drive. It's meant to be the 'old' un-used section of the track.

Selby
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3098300)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, I don't think there's anything basically wrong with this track - I just got radical in the meantime

bio