Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Sep 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2958022)   #351
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just wondering, could we see Mr.Perkins in car #39?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2958062)   #352
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post

Also would RNR/FPR bother paying compo to KR if they can have someone like Fabian Coulthard without strings after Walkinshaw discard him for Ingall/Supercheap dollars?
Is Fabian exponentially better than Reynolds?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2958292)   #353
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simonsen a possible replacement for DR at Kelly Racing

Of course assuming that DR's contract isn't signed.... but who really knows what is happening there other than those at FPR & KR?

I honestly don't see the appeal of Simonsen, he didn't exactly set the field on fire at Phillip Island and he handed the car back to GM almost a lap down on Sunday, there really wasn't many co-drivers that did a worse job than him.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 00:32 (Ref:2958295)   #354
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is surprising there hasnt been more discussion about the likely landing spot for Mr Ingall and the SuperCheap sponsorship.

Despite much singing and dancing in the motorsport press that a deal with WP is a done and dusted, apparently this may not actually be the case. The story allegedly goes that Mr Ingall's discussions with WP involve him bringing a REC along with a budget to run the car, along with himself. Presumably this may be a PMM REC but you just never know.. especially if Mr Perkins is also hooked into that arrangement.

The thoughts from the Island were for a leaning towards the Travelling Alburies, who may have a free space in car #14 next season. This deal as described is said to be less complex, not needing a REC, and with that car looked after by the primary team, not a distant satellite squad. Price may also be a consideration, after all Mr Ingall is always careful with a dollar!

Curious times... With 2 fully funded cars, and the engineering package largely intact from 2011, you could imagine that BJR might be the stronger option..

Presuming any of this actually happened
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Sep 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2958351)   #355
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
Is Fabian exponentially better than Reynolds?
No he's not... I'd probably rate them about the same at this point in time. But if Fabian comes without a lawsuit, might be a better option?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 08:03 (Ref:2958356)   #356
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Just wondering, could we see Mr.Perkins in car #39?
Who would pay for it?

Perkins hasn't been able to get enough $$$ to fund a regular Development Series drive, letalone the much steeper cost of a main game seat
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:56 (Ref:2958886)   #357
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
biggest non-news announcement of the year, the Britek REC to stay at Albury:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/09/21/...-team-in-2012/

however discussion in the above says BJ of BJR is part owner of said REC. Does this in the bottom line mean Notso is paying for his drive, or maybe receiving $$ from Team Karl, and part of the REC in turn goes to BJ??
Old 21 Sep 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2958894)   #358
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sounds like it, otherwise they would be quietly sending legal letters to RNR/FPR rather than issuing press releases.
According to AA this week KR are doing both... legal letters to FPR/RNR plus the overblown press releases.

The article in AA also suggests that KR is looking for some form of 'compensation' as a break fee of sorts, based on the cost of securibg a replacement 'potential race winner'. Given that KR is reported in the article to only be paying Mr Reynolds $70k this season, a jump to a conventional 'potential race winner' salary would be 3x that number if not more!

No wonder Mr Reynolds is looking towards the greener pastures (and car..) in 2012 at that pay rate. Story goes there are 2011 enduro drivers at some squads earning more than that for just 2 races!!

This will undoubtedly get ugly before it is finalised. AA confirms a story doing the rounds that Mr Reynolds was asked to return his KR-supplied company car.. the explanation from KR, while plausible, sounds odd.. how much does a rental car cost?

Still consider the RNR/FPR location is Mr Reynolds' destiny for 2012...
Old 21 Sep 2011, 03:51 (Ref:2958895)   #359
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, Id be looking to go somewhere else at that rate....you'd earn more driving real taxis instead of V8 ones. The Kellys should just sign up the Pom to replace him.

Welcome to the Blue side Dave....
Old 21 Sep 2011, 03:59 (Ref:2958898)   #360
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
biggest non-news announcement of the year, the Britek REC to stay at Albury:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/09/21/...-team-in-2012/

however discussion in the above says BJ of BJR is part owner of said REC. Does this in the bottom line mean Notso is paying for his drive, or maybe receiving $$ from Team Karl, and part of the REC in turn goes to BJ??
The story on Speedcafe invites as many questions as it answers.

The 'Britek' REC allegedly changed holding company not long ago, to a company named Jobri Holdings P/L. Popular wisdom at the time suggested the REC was being held in Josie Bright's (Jason's mum..) care (hence JoBri..).. But this is a new twist...

Fair Dinkum Sheds arrived at BJR after Tasman's closure. Funnily enough, until sponsorship on the #14 was confirmed, Mr Bargwanna was wearing a Fair Dinkum Sheds racesuit from his daus at Tasman, unrelated to the BJR sponsorship.

At times, Mr Reindler has brought support onto his car from a variety of personal backers, including Wilson Security, Thomson Aviation and various commercial partners related to the mining industry...

Presumably the 3rd BJR brings a positive financial contribution to the overall team, such that it could be argued that this has assisted Mr Bright in attaining his current ride.. Personal performance levels would likely need to be at a high enough level to keep Mr Bright there. No announcement about that did you notice? Or about Mr Ingall. Or a possible new pilot for the 3rd car..

We shall see
Old 21 Sep 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2959319)   #361
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does this story hint at the fact that Andrew Thompson might land at PMM with a full-time drive next year in the 888-enriched PMM squad.....in a 2nd Monster car?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:24 (Ref:2959358)   #362
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Does this story hint at the fact that Andrew Thompson might land at PMM with a full-time drive next year in the 888-enriched PMM squad.....in a 2nd Monster car?
Fitting considering he's leading the series because Paul Morris took Nick Percat out in Perth!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2959378)   #363
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
I would have thought the larger question might be who replaces Mr Thompson as "The Chosen One", and whether the 888 squad might expand to 2 cars in the development series given that Mr Skaife is not likely to be available in 2012...
Old 22 Sep 2011, 04:32 (Ref:2959383)   #364
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Fitting considering he's leading the series because Paul Morris took Nick Percat out in Perth!
and he brings $$
Old 22 Sep 2011, 05:38 (Ref:2959391)   #365
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
and he brings $$
... and can steer.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 05:55 (Ref:2959395)   #366
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
... and can steer.
Is that his skill or the car that he's driving that gave him the results? Look at Steve Owen, everyone expected him to set the world on fire in a '888 Chassis' at PMM yet he is at best mid-field so far this year....

In KR/David Reynolds news.... James Small Parts ways with Kelly Racing
Old 22 Sep 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2959398)   #367
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
Is that his skill or the car that he's driving that gave him the results? Look at Steve Owen, everyone expected him to set the world on fire in a '888 Chassis' at PMM yet he is at best mid-field so far this year....
All I know is no one knew which way he went at the start of the Phillip Island event... including his much more fancied (and highly praised) team mate.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2959425)   #368
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
In KR/David Reynolds news.... James Small Parts ways with Kelly Racing
I guess that's one way to ensure #16 doesnt beat the other 3 any more
Old 22 Sep 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2959587)   #369
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I guess that's one way to ensure #16 doesnt beat the other 3 any more
Todd Kelly needs to make the hard decision and stop driving and focus 100% on running the team. That's where his talents are best applied if he wants a successful/solvent race team in 5-10 years time. Way too much conflict when trying to be driver/owner/tech boss/brother/son, all at once.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2959768)   #370
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Todd Kelly needs to make the hard decision and stop driving and focus 100% on running the team. That's where his talents are best applied if he wants a successful/solvent race team in 5-10 years time. Way too much conflict when trying to be driver/owner/tech boss/brother/son, all at once.
Can't Crennan make those decisions? If Todd wants to drive, he needs to remove himself from more of the team management side of things.

You have to wonder how long it will be til Grech Jnr gets a Supercar test here too!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2959769)   #371
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
But that assumes that Mr T.Kelly has the gravitas & skill to run the team at such a high level. The more logical solution for KR is to have a Competitions Director in the same manner as Mr Swetnam or Mr Burgess, to make sure the cars are presented in their best form on a day to day basis, leaving the Kelly mafia to think bigger picture about next year and beyond...

Noise around drivers leaving, whether its Mr Reynolds or Mr Ricciardello or Mr Bargwanna, and technical staff departing in Mr Swenson or Mr Small has to, at some level, be unsettling for the team.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2959770)   #372
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
... and can steer.
although he appreciates both, i think Mr Morris prefers the former over the latter doesn't he?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2959774)   #373
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Skaife to Keep Driving by not joining the V8Supercar Commission?

I wonder if he has a full time gig in mind?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2959779)   #374
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Skaife to Keep Driving by not joining the V8Supercar Commission?

I wonder if he has a full time gig in mind?
Maybe, and maybe free from all the responsibility he used to have which is the way to go.

It's good to see these "old" geezers in their 30's and 40's win the big races.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2959788)   #375
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The alternative, to keep the driving skills fresh, and to stay on board the commission, is for someone at Porsche Cars Australia to see the value in having Mr Skaife in their series, and offer him a paid gig in their category for season 2012.

Mr Skaife's involvement would give that series additional credibility, it would give Mr Skaife competitive outings on the same race weekends, and on the same race tracks as the main game V8s, so could improve the commentary performance...

The teev work, the commission work, and the driving skills could all be warmed up, with a view to getting back in the seat of #888 for the enduros in 2013...

Interesting to notice that Mr Skaife's AGP Carrera Cup sponsor L'oreal has appeared on his race helmet at Phillip Island as a personal sponsor too. Perhaps parlaying that with some Vodafone shininess, and we are away...